Terrorist Shooting at Parliament

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Terrorist Shooting at Parliament

Post by Donald G »

There is "something that causes extremists to resort to extreme measures" ... Religious zealot leaders who use distorted versions of religion to make fanatics out of very gullible, ignorant and misled individuals to make them into terrorists bombers.

Kill the religious zealot teachers first to stop their production line. Then wipe out their converted terrorist followers.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Merry wrote:I don't think anyone is trying to make excuses for these guys, or rationalize their behaviour. I think they're simply trying to understand what might possibly drive a person to committing such a heinous act, with the hope that it might be possible to prevent such things happening again in the future.

People don't do it intentionally, but they do it nonetheless. That's because they try to interpret the Qu'ran with a Western mindset, and thus misinterpret why people do these things, and even misunderstand why a perfectly rational middle class person will commit extreme violence. In Islam, unlike all other religions, a person cannot make it to heaven simply by believing and following the doctrine of the religion. Instead, there is only one way to guarantee a way into the heaven, and that is to die killing infidels.

Last edited by Glacier on Oct 29th, 2014, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Merry wrote:I don't think anyone is trying to make excuses for these guys, or rationalize their behaviour. I think they're simply trying to understand what might possibly drive a person to committing such a heinous act, with the hope that it might be possible to prevent such things happening again in the future.

It might be a forlorn hope, but I think as human beings we all need to have hope that there is something we can do to help make this a better world. So why would anyone want to take that hope away?

Well said. There's no use in burying our head in the sand. In an age when assymetrical warfare no longer favours the stronger of the two opponents we have to find a better way to stop terrorism. Since Vietnam it's been clear that bombing the hell out them only strengthens thier resolve. But there will aways be fossils who think that you fight terror with terror even when experience tells us it's a flawed plan with no possible chance of making things better.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Poindexter wrote:Imagine a world where you don't fit in. Everyone and everything seems stacked against you and the older you get the more you realize youre in for a lousy life with little hope of improving. Then along comes a group who under the vail of religion offers you the chance to make something of your life along with eternal peace, respect of your imagined jihadi peers and as a bonus virgins once you're martyred.

For someone whose elevator does not make it to the top floor it sounds like salvation in a life that is otherwise drudgery. It's not hard to see how these nut jobs could be sold on such an ideology. But are they really terrorists? I think gullable losers with a chip on thier shoulder is a more accurate discription.

You buy a Harley and join a gang! Guess they don't accept every applicant...
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Ken7 wrote:You buy a Harley and join a gang! Guess they don't accept every applicant...

lol! Funny and true. Camaraderie is an extremely strong motivator and many search for it in gangs, sport teams (even cheering for one), religion, and yes even forums.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Reza Aslan is one of the biggest apologists for Islam out there. He's not the only one. Here is Ben Affleck doing the same thing...

- Douglas Murray
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

What makes him an apologist? His views are rational, educated and unbias. He makes some very good arguments IMO. I've seen the Ben one before. He needs to learn how to keep his cool a little better.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

He's been called "Canada's New National Hero" by the Washington Post. He's made the front page of the Wall Street Journal.

Now the sergeant-at-arms of Canada's House of Commons has received perhaps an even rarer celebrity distinction in the United States: praise from a late-night TV comedian.

Stephen Colbert, better known for his roasting than his toasting, dedicated an entire segment of Wednesday night's Colbert Report show to a tribute of Kevin Vickers, whose intervention helped end last week's Ottawa shooting.

He began the segment with a photo of Vickers carrying the mace — which the tongue-in-cheek TV newsman described to viewers as a giant ceremonial baby rattle.

The show then cut to a CBC clip describing, in the final moments of the confrontation, how Vickers launched himself upside-down towards the ground, firing upward and fatally striking shooter Michael Zehaf Bibeau.

"To hell with Bruce Willis," Colbert said, of the signature line from the movie "Die Hard": "Our neighbour to the north just put the 'Eh' in Yippee-ki-yay."

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#125842
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

BelieveNothing wrote:Glacier, you have the right to believe what the press tells you, but I would think in this day and age you would be far more savvy than that.

Is Stephen Harper part of ISIS?

atenbacon wrote: Why I believe nothing that BelieveNothing says.

Yet another edited photo.... I have added the original.

You believe nothing I say because someone cut Gene Simmons, a clear Satanist, out of that photo of Stephen Harper giving the sign of the horns or Baphomet?

Anton Lavey - Church of Satan Founder

I think they are both Satanists and I think both of their contributions to this world are dark and ugly...

... and so is Isis:
The Goddess Isis was also known to the Sumerians as Tiamat, the Serpent of Chaos, the Ancient One, mother of the gods and all abominations of chaos.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

BelieveNothing wrote:You believe nothing I say....

Correct.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

BelieveNothing wrote:You believe nothing I say because someone cut Gene Simmons, a clear Satanist, out of that photo of Stephen Harper giving the sign of the horns or Baphomet?

I can't believe you posted a picture claiming it's Gene Simmons. The group is called Destroyer (KISS tribute band) and the photo was taken at the Calgary Stampede back in 2009. Not relevant here.

OTTAWA -- The petition to honour Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers with the Cross of Valour -- Canada's highest civilian bravery decoration -- for shooting the Parliament Hill terrorist is gaining steam.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014 ... 34006.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Stephen Colbert did a segment on Vickers and his giant baby rattle. :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJl2UpuCMw

Couldn't agree more, to hell with Bruce Willis.
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

Fundamentalist Islam (or any Religious/Idealistic/Political Fundamentalism, for that matter) is something that needs to be stamped out of existence with all our vigor, if we hope for humanity to survive another century.
With the burgeoning of all manner of technologies (computational/ biological/nano-tech), having ideologues - convinced that their opinions/beliefs trump the will of the rest of us, and having these dangerous (and largely socially accepted) -isms protected by laws dealing with "diversity" is going to prove to be an exponentially increasing problem.

Return to “Canada”