Jian Ghomeshi on CBC fired for BDSM

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Jian Ghomeshi on CBC fired for BDSM

Post by the truth »

good put the piece of crap in jail
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

daria wrote:Nine women coming forward with allegations is a lot of smoke, and where there's smoke there's fire....

Kevin Clash had 3 people accusing him.

If our legal system was based on the "smoke/fire" logic, everyone would be found guilty automatically.

I'm glad there is enough evidence to press charges. Now the validity of what people are saying on both sides can be determined in open court and not on the E! network.'

Edit in : 9 women came forward in the media. 5 charges laid, 2 charges stemming most likely from the same accuser. So far we know that the burden of proof that is required to press charges has cut in half the number of accusations.

We also know (now) that in Canada, consent does not excuse someone from a sexual assault charge, in the BDSM context.
Last edited by Atomoa on Nov 27th, 2014, 1:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Legal system isn't. People's opinions are.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

A copy of a news article posted on Castanet today:

"The sexual assault charges filed against former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi offer tentative hope to those who fear their claims will be dismissed by an indifferent law enforcement system, victims' advocates said Wednesday.

Their optimism, however, is tempered by the sweeping changes they argue would need to take place if the Ghomeshi case is to become the rule rather than the exception.

Sexual assault is widely considered to be grossly under-reported, and rape crisis counsellor Hilla Kerner says the complaints that are filed rarely get aired before a judge or jury.

While she and her colleagues at the Vancouver Rape Relief and Women's Shelter fear that Ghomeshi's day in court came about in part because of his prominent public profile, she said it still represents a victory.

"This is a very rare example that the police actually was very diligent, very fast and thorough, and the result is criminal charges," Kerner said in a telephone interview.

"So we do think that it will create a positive effect. That women can see that where there is a will there is a way and the police are diligent. Unfortunately, we're afraid that the police only acted like that because there was such a public outcry."

The former "Q" radio host was charged Wednesday with four counts of sexual assault and one count of overcoming resistance by choking. He was released on bail and was ordered to live with his mother, surrender his passport and remain in Ontario.

Kerner said allegations of sexual assault against Ghomeshi from multiple women spanning more than a decade sparked outrage the likes of which she's rarely seen.

The 47-year-old former host was fired by CBC on Oct. 26 after the public broadcaster said it had seen "graphic evidence'' that he had physically injured a woman.

Since his dismissal, nine women have come forward with allegations that Ghomeshi sexually or physically assaulted them, and three of them ultimately filed police complaints.

Ghomeshi has admitted that he engaged in "rough sex" but insisted his encounters with women were consensual. Ghomeshi's lawyer Marie Henein has also said that her client intends to plead not guilty to the charges."

Next will be Ghomeshi pleading "not guilty" and his lawyer "attacking" the women on the witness stand that he allegedly assaulted in an attempt to discredit them. That's how it works in trials of this nature. There are no witnesses and often no physical evidence. Thus, it can be difficult to get a conviction. At the end of the day, Ghomeshi may walk away "not guilty".
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

back when this thing began, ghomeshi put out his side of things on a facebook page, and promised to keep us informed.

i just watched fifth estate, and figured i would check out the facebook page again to see what jian has to say about it all these days.

the facebook page i previously visited doesn't seem to exist anymore, and the facebook page i get in a google search for jian doesn't seem to exist.

i am getting the impression this guy is a liar if nothing else. one would think, that he, with his journalism background and knowledge, would keep his word. why would he lie i wonder?
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
KGT
Lord of the Board

Post by KGT »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:back when this thing began, ghomeshi put out his side of things on a facebook page, and promised to keep us informed.

i just watched fifth estate, and figured i would check out the facebook page again to see what jian has to say about it all these days.

the facebook page i previously visited doesn't seem to exist anymore, and the facebook page i get in a google search for jian doesn't seem to exist.

i am getting the impression this guy is a liar if nothing else. one would think, that he, with his journalism background and knowledge, would keep his word. why would he lie i wonder?

His twitter account was also closed. I suspect this was on his lawyer's advice.

Return to “Canada”