Jian Ghomeshi on CBC fired for BDSM

OREZ
Lord of the Board

Re: Jian Ghomeshi on CBC fired for BDSM

Post by OREZ »

OREZ wrote:Ahhh, the ruling class. Yes, that is an interesting discussion (on which we might even agree somewhat) but it unfortunately has little to do with sexual predators who can be found in the most dirt poor circumstances.

coolworx wrote:Ahh the difference is that dirt poor circs doesn't buy you a cadre of lawyers.

You were trying to suggest that men in power are often sexual predators – so prove it. I was saying that sexual predators can be found in all income brackets (and I will add to that)… and genders… and sexual orientation, even where there is no power imbalance. Whether or not they can afford lawyers is a separate issue and was not part of your original statement with which I and others took exception.
coolworx wrote:Truly, the abuse of women is a side-effect of the abuse of power.

Wow, such insight.
Truly the abuse of anyone is a side-effect of the abuse of power, be it perceived power or actual power. That’s why it’s called abuse. If Jian Ghomeshi is guilty of these accusations, he would have most likely had the same pattern of behavior if he were working at WalMart.
coolworx wrote:
Whether pimp, or CEO, there is a rot in the carrot of capitalism. And it comes with a sense of monopoly.

And once again, you’re in the wrong thread for political discussion. This isn't even the political section of the forum. You want to give us your political views? Fine, as I said before, we might even agree somewhat.
Last edited by Jo on Nov 3rd, 2014, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to remove off-topic comments
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I haven't failed until I quit.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Being Complicit:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 ... ged-abuse/

Carl Wilson: I Knew About Jian Ghomeshi and never said anything. Am I complicit in his alleged abuse?

Yes, Carl. You are, And so was this fellow, http://canadalandshow.com/podcast/we-al ... about-jian ; therefore, he’s accepting responsibility for it now and talking about it.

Imagine if he’d backed up his coworker on the Q show?
Imagine if the union and CBC could’ve gotten a handle on the situation THEN?
Imagine if the media industry were not as toxic as this.

The women that have revealed their names were not willing to risk their careers at the time of the incidents, but now they speak from a position of moderate success and feel more insulated than they did back when the incidents took place. How many women have potentially been destroyed? Did they even care?

This all could've been dealt with years ago without destroying ANYONE'S career, or life for that matter.

If only people like the fellow in the podcast had stood up for what’s right instead of enabling.

That's right, I said 'enabling'.

When you do not stand up to and report sexual harassment, you are enabling the perpetrator. It
Is as simple as that.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Maybe beyond the sultry, ‘Hi there, happy . . . day,’ poor old Jian just doesn't understand real sexiness.

Oh sorry, one of us forgot to plug the root source for the video: an interesting site.
http://www.youtube.com/theschooloflifetv
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

We thought this one might be on topic, too.

SHE ASKED FOR IT

Root

http://www.youtube.com/user/sexplanations
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

^^^ Yeah sorry, uploading nude photos to a cloud server is ridiculously silly, especially if you are a celebrity. You own that one.

Just like keeping your passport, wallet and 10K worth of diamonds in your glove compartment.

I also would not go walking the back streets of a 3rd world country while wearing nice clothes, flashing wads of cash either. You can tell a world traveler/business person to be safe and smart but you can't tell a woman that without being labelled a misogynist?

Are all these "cover your drinks" anti date rape drug ad's also blaming victims? People shouldn't have their drink spiked - are we enabling drink-spikers by telling women to watch/cover their drinks in bars?

Talk about a push-back beyond the level of reason.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Um, 1:35, “Crimes happen when perpetrators choose to violate someone. Rape, sexual assault, theft, harassment, non-consensual distribution of sexual photos . . .. Those are all decisions that someone (else) made to violate another person.”

And, on another subject from the above video (in the video below) 3:48, “We also can’t determine whether or not someone is a *bleep* from the way they dress. . . .”

Do I Look Like A *bleep*?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3bQLq9QGA4[/youtube]

Guess not.

Maybe try this on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3bQLq9QGA4
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

WTTG wrote:Um, 1:35, “Crimes happen when perpetrators choose to violate someone. Rape, sexual assault, theft, harassment, non-consensual distribution of sexual photos . . .. Those are all decisions that someone (else) made to violate another person.”

And, on another subject from the above video (in the video below) 3:48, “We also can’t determine whether or not someone is a *bleep* from the way they dress. . . .”

As the speaker points out in the video, “most men are good people”. Still, there remain some who continue to victim blame (deflecting to absurd examples), whine about “men being so unfairly treated” and continue to make excuses for offenders.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Atomoa wrote:
Are all these "cover your drinks" anti date rape drug ad's also blaming victims? People shouldn't have their drink spiked - are we enabling drink-spikers by telling women to watch/cover their drinks in bars?

Talk about a push-back beyond the level of reason.

You know what would be really reasonable? Ads that say don't steal women's nude photos and publish them, don't spike their drinks and don't rape or abuse them. Enough with the victim shaming. Let's target the people who do the crimes.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
WTTG

Post by WTTG »

Yes, and to combat those fallacious arguments, we’re amazed at the number of critical reasoning resource videos seemingly prepared by and for, and aimed at young people, which appear to be popping up recently on the web.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

jennylives wrote:You know what would be really reasonable? Ads that say don't steal women's nude photos and publish them, don't spike their drinks and don't rape or abuse them. Enough with the victim shaming. Let's target the people who do the crimes.

Not victim shaming.

Uploading nude photos to a cloud server is poor security management. If your bank password was "password", I am not shaming the victim of bank-theft-computer-hacking by saying that they need to be smarter with their security.

I can tell a world traveler to be smart and safe. I can't tell a women to be smart and safe (without victim shaming?)

Is this only a gender thing? Can I tell males it's unsafe to hitchhike, or is that victim shaming?

Do we currently run ad's "Don't murder"? "Break and entering is wrong"?

Nobody deserves to be the victim of crime. But crime occurs. Personally I'd never say "don't dress like that" ect ect. or "he/she had it coming" - but that video with the girl complaining about nude photos being stolen. Um - hello - from day one of the internet its always been don't upload photos unless you want the whole world to see them! Maybe there was some misunderstanding about how secure the cloud was but I wouldn't upload nude pictures to Picasa no more than I would iCloud or w/e.
Last edited by Atomoa on Nov 8th, 2014, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Buckminster Fuller
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Atomoa wrote:
Not victim shaming.

Uploading nude photos to a cloud server is poor security management. If your bank password was "password", I am not shaming the victim of bank-theft-computer-hacking by saying that they need to be smarter with their security.

Do we currently run ad's "Don't murder"? "Break and entering is wrong"?

No we don't. We should start.

Why haven't you said what those people did was wrong? Why do you default to the problem being the women uploading the pictures of themselves being the issue?

If I choose to take nudes of myself on my phone that's my choice. Being a good idea or not is irrelevant. I am not consenting to theft and exploitation by doing that.

The thieves and abusers are the issue here.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Why do you default to the problem being the women uploading the pictures of themselves being the issue?

Beat me to it, I edited my post Jenny.

- Buckminster Fuller
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Atomoa wrote: Is this only a gender thing? Can I tell males it's unsafe to hitchhike, or is that victim shaming?

‘Don’t Be That Guy’ ad campaign cuts Vancouver sex assaults by 10 per cent in 2011
VANCOUVER — The Globe and Mail

The message on the poster is blunt. A young woman in red tights and a skimpy black dress is flaked out on the edge of a couch, her head turned away. A few wine bottles are on the floor.

“Just because she isn’t saying no doesn’t mean she is saying yes,” the poster says. “Sex without consent = sexual assault. Don’t Be That Guy.”

The poster is one of three that went up at bars and around the city last summer as part of a campaign to chip away at the increasing rate of sexual assaults in recent years in Vancouver.

Six months later, Deputy Chief Doug LePard says the Don’t Be That Guy campaign has contributed to a turnaround in statistics on sexual offences in Vancouver.

The rate dropped in 2011 by about 10 per cent, the first time in several years it had gone down.

Sexual assaults had defied recent trends in crime. While the overall rate dropped every year over the past decade, the rate of sexual offences went up. Strathcona had the highest number of sexual assaults in Vancouver from 2008 to 2010.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/bri ... le1359241/

Apparently not quite the non-issue you’d like portray through your continued efforts at minimizing the issue of violence against women. The world can be a disproportionately dangerous place for women. Not only because of men who are inclined to abuse them, but also because of the men who don't do anything or say anything about it. I don’t know why you feel you’ve been treated so unfairly by women, but don’t be that guy.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Former Q host Jian Ghomeshi has withdrawn his $55 million lawsuit against the CBC, says Chuck Thompson, spokesman for the national broadcaster.

“The parties have reached a settlement; the lawsuit has been withdrawn but it still needs to be formalized through a court order,” Thompson told the Star Tuesday.

The deal was reached last Friday.

Ghomeshi must pay $18,000 in legal costs to the CBC, Thompson said, related to the terms of the settlement. Earlier CBC had asked for the lawsuit to be dismissed.

The suit was launched by Ghomeshi the day after he was terminated by the CBC.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Canada”