Ex-Mountie B.C. MP led barricading of caucus

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Ex-Mountie B.C. MP led barricading of caucus

Post by Fancy »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:alfred2, rcmp in parliament is not the only problem.
Hardly a problem when they've been an asset.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:*removed*
those other professions to do not carry with them a pledge of alegiance that is contrary to the mandate of an elected office.

a 'retired' member is not at all the issue. it is the lack of truth that statement presents that is the issue.

like amrik, a former member must leave, not be a member of, the rcmp at the very least upon getting elected.

not so long ago a full 2/3 of parliamentarians were lawyers. i am glad that has changed, but i do feel that there are far too many former police, it seems like there has been a mission. i realize that other factors have created this present day fact, and some of them are not good either.

but simply, the sworn allegiance of a current member of rcmp conflicts with the obligations that come with public office.

boy are you ever bent and distorted.... ALL police agencies and many other public sector positions take an oath of allegiance and office....

the RCMP is no different and their oath is the same as let see ok federal prison guards....

You really really have a huge big problem with authority and law.

So much so that it is apparent you have been on the wrong side of a pair of cuffs on more than one occasion...

Good luck on your life's journey but wow ... strongly suggest you start taking your meds again! Or heck roll yourself a big one and chill!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

the RCMP is no different and their oath is the same as let see ok federal prison guards

is it possible you meant to post that in the martial law thread? viewtopic.php?f=52&t=59046

re: use of the word 'lockdown' as defined by 'federal prison' as

DEF – A status whereby an inmate remains in his/her assigned room each day except for specified activities.
OBS – Securing a correctional facility (total lockdown) or unit (partial lockdown) by restricting prisoner movement to their housing area.

http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tpv2al ... t=LOCKDOWN

it is bad enough the rcmp think this way, but no wonder if parliamentarians think the same way, hold the same loyalties.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

omisimaw wrote:
boy are you ever bent and distorted....

... strongly suggest you start taking your meds again!

Well she did get 2 things right
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

lock down???? Did I say anything about a lock down?
What are you talking about?
Are you confusing things?
Are you assuming, and wrongfully so, that the RCMP are the only ones capable of who engage in lock downs?
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Steve-O wrote:Whats your point? do you ever have a point?

Not that I've ever noticed, unless of course it's to confirm lack of search skills.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Hatred is blinding.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

KL3-Something wrote:Hatred is blinding.

And often without merit.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Trying to find out how it is that the Sgt @ Arms had a weapon in chambers.... where did the gun come from?
Do you have to have a license to carry or be trained in firearms to be in this position? yes, I know history shows most have previous training, but is this a requirement?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I understand he has a gun in his office locked up.
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

Here's just hoping that this incident doesn't lead to the Canadian version of the Patriot Act.
Harper just seems too damn giddy about the prospect of ushering in a few new edicts.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Ok Fancy, that could be.

But for the person to leave a packed room of humans in an emergency, a very stress filled time, run to an office, return with a weapon and shot someone....

Nope I do not see that....
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:no gordonh, those three examples are completely wrong.

if a person is a member of the rcmp, and makes statements that strongly suggest they are no longer a member of the force, but in fact they are still members of that force, is that not bad? deceptive? deceitful?

why cannot we find evidence of wilks 'retirement', i suspect because it never really occurred.

rcmp have no place in public office.

One thing that you appear to be failing to wrap your head around is that, when someone retires, they are not a "civilian RCMP" member. Civilian members of the RCMP doesn't mean retired ex-members, it means non-police who work for the RCMP. Interestingly enough, not every single person employed is a police officer.

Human resources, crime analysts, etc are all people who are not police officers yet are employed with the RCMP. In fact, you can go on the RCMP website and see what civilian job positions are currently available to apply for.

A retired member of the RCMP is similar to that of a retired member of the Canadian Forces in that they aren't doing it any more in any capacity, but for tradition they may honor those they worked with on special days by wearing the dress uniform of the force. Another note is that a retired or ex-member wouldn't ever be wearing a duty uniform of either branch.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

omisimaw wrote:Trying to find out how it is that the Sgt @ Arms had a weapon in chambers.... where did the gun come from?
Do you have to have a license to carry or be trained in firearms to be in this position? yes, I know history shows most have previous training, but is this a requirement?

Our Sgt at Arms in the House of Commons is also the head of security for the House of Commons. Note that this isn't at all like a security company - these guys are armed for situations such as this. His actual job title is Director of Security Services, the Sgt. At Arms is an honorary title.

And yes, they would have to have a restricted firearms license and have documents to allow them to carry a restricted firearm on duty. Armoured Car guards carry restricted firearms all of the time, and the only thing that's different here is the purpose.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

omisimaw wrote:Trying to find out how it is that the Sgt @ Arms had a weapon in chambers.... where did the gun come from?

FreeRights wrote:Our Sgt at Arms in the House of Commons is also the head of security for the House of Commons. Note that this isn't at all like a security company - these guys are armed for situations such as this. His actual job title is Director of Security Services, the Sgt. At Arms is an honorary title.

And yes, they would have to have a restricted firearms license and have documents to allow them to carry a restricted firearm on duty. Armoured Car guards carry restricted firearms all of the time, and the only thing that's different here is the purpose.

Thanks, was aware of their position and status but as you see them entering the House their "uniform" is very non-concealing and there is not a hint of a weapon being carried, other than the traditional ceremonial sword. Sure they would not need the license or documents to carry as this is a position of appointment and as such would hold similar authorization as that of police / peace officer / military, in other words legislated to carry ...
I do not compare them to your Brinks type folks.... that is a private company and comes under separate rules and regulations... and quite frankly not even close in scope to the position of Sgt at Arms.
Appointed by Letter Patent under the Great Seal, the Sergeant-at-Arms performs many ceremonial and administrative duties and, as a commissioner of oaths, is one of the officers who may administer the oath of allegiance to newly elected Members. Bearing the Mace, the Sergeant-at-Arms precedes the Speaker as he or she enters and leaves the Chamber each day. The Sergeant-at-Arms occupies a desk at the Bar of the House when the House is sitting.In accordance with the Standing Orders, the Sergeant-at-Arms preserves order in the galleries, lobbies, and corridors and is responsible for taking into custody strangers who misbehave in the galleries. Traditionally, the position has been held by military officers.

Still seeking info on how the weapon came to be at hand on that day.

Return to “Canada”