Ex-Mountie B.C. MP led barricading of caucus

FreeRights
Guru

Re: Ex-Mountie B.C. MP led barricading of caucus

Post by FreeRights »

My comparison with Brinks or any armoured car personnel is supported by your comments. If they can get approval for carrying restricted firearms for their daily duties, then it is no surprise to me that the House of Commons security operations are also duly armed. The title and his job description are seperate - despite any ceremonial duties the Sgt at Arms has in the House of Commons, he is also head of the security operations for the facility. I think his possession was more in line with his job duties rather than his honourary title.

Vickers had a gun in his office, as he likely often would as the director for the security team. Vickers was also in his office a the time, so I think "how it got in hand" is as simple as him reaching over to pick it up.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

FreeRights wrote:My comparison with Brinks or any armoured car personnel is supported by your comments. If they can get approval for carrying restricted firearms for their daily duties, then it is no surprise to me that the House of Commons security operations are also duly armed. The title and his job description are seperate - despite any ceremonial duties the Sgt at Arms has in the House of Commons, he is also head of the security operations for the facility. I think his possession was more in line with his job duties rather than his honourary title.

Vickers had a gun in his office, as he likely often would as the director for the security team. Vickers was also in his office a the time, so I think "how it got in hand" is as simple as him reaching over to pick it up.

Better do a bit more research because your not on target here.

It would have been impossible for anyone to have exited during this event to retrieve a weapon and return... you are just making up your own theory

He apparently was not in the House at the time but rather came from his office to face and shot the individual outside of the House. He was carrying a pistol when he came out of his office.

So it would appear that the Sgt at Arms, whilst in uniform and in the House, is not armed.

So again thankfully it was the "team" of security, of which Vickers is the head, that responded and it would also appear that there are more armed individuals around the Parliament, silently going about their respective jobs to protect one and all.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

omisimaw wrote:Better do a bit more research because your not on target here.

It would have been impossible for anyone to have exited during this event to retrieve a weapon and return... you are just making up your own theory

He apparently was not in the House at the time but rather came from his office to face and shot the individual outside of the House. He was carrying a pistol when he came out of his office.

So it would appear that the Sgt at Arms, whilst in uniform and in the House, is not armed.

So again thankfully it was the "team" of security, of which Vickers is the head, that responded and it would also appear that there are more armed individuals around the Parliament, silently going about their respective jobs to protect one and all.

Do you have a link to an article that describes that Vickers had left the "danger zone" to return to his office, to get a firearm, and to dispatch the attacker? I did not even suggest that he was anywhere but his office during this time - in fact, the description of events that I have read suggest he heard the gunshots from inside his office and responded in tow. Which then does, in fact, suggest that he is armed. One way or the other, I'm not sure it matters. He (thankfully) had a gun and played a role in protecting those in the House of Commons when it was needed.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Vickers was in his office when everything went down in the Parliament Buildings, he was not in the caucus meeting.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Whatever!!!!!

My question has been answered in that the Sgt at Arms whilst in the House has a sword and not a gun!

PLUS there is a whole team of individuals who carry guns, Vickers included, when not performing ceremonial duties.

I have no problem with this whatsoever and NO they would not have a license to carry such as what you describe ... that authority comes to them via a different manner.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

omisimaw wrote:Whatever!!!!!

My question has been answered in that the Sgt at Arms whilst in the House has a sword and not a gun!

PLUS there is a whole team of individuals who carry guns, Vickers included, when not performing ceremonial duties.

I have no problem with this whatsoever and NO they would not have a license to carry such as what you describe ... that authority comes to them via a different manner.

Now I don't have any idea, but what is the "different manner" in which he and the rest of the security team are permitted to carry restricted firearms aside an Authorization to Carry Restricted Firearms form?

The only people in Canada permitted to carry restricted firearms are peace officers (police, CBSA) and military personnel (under their own Act). Others, like CSIS intelligence officers, are not permitted to carry firearms, and although I could be wrong, but I do not think Vickers or any of the House of Commons security service are designated peace officer status.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

House of Commons security forces its pretty assured bet they have the proper paper work to be carrying fire arms, including the Sargent of Arm Vickers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

GordonH wrote:House of Commons security forces its pretty assured bet they have the proper paper work to be carrying fire arms, including the Sargent of Arm Vickers.

Of course they do, I don't think anybody disputes that.

I only ask because omisimaw states so definitively that I was wrong, so I'm curious what the right answer is.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

It looked like a S&W Model 5942 to me. The same sidearm issued to every RCMP officer in the country (except ERT members).
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

FYI

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06/25 ... -get-guns/

If his underlings are armed, it stands to reason that he's got one locked up in his office too.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

It has been granted through Letters Patent.... they have been granted the authority through the legislator ... they are not civilian members of society that must apply for and carry licenses for weapons.... they are in fact in the same class as other peace officers because that is what they are

and yes you to can research and find the information online....

Return to “Canada”