Trade agreement with China (or anywhere else)

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Trade Agreement with China(or anywhere else)

Post by Captain Awesome »

There are plenty of things made in Canada. But they cost more money. Your choice, really.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

oldtrucker wrote:Does your printer work?No,probably not...maybe it lasted a few weeks.In my opinion,nothing made in China seems to work-nor will any trade agreement.There is nothing in it for the average Canadian.We need made in Canada.
How do you feel about trade agreements?

since china is a enemy not much
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

China is an enemy?!

This is news to me.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So I'm guessing OP did not use a electronic devise to post, it must be magic. Since every computer/smartphone/tablet is made is pretty well made in China or assembled there.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

oldtrucker wrote:Does your printer work?No,probably not...maybe it lasted a few weeks.In my opinion,nothing made in China seems to work-nor will any trade agreement.There is nothing in it for the average Canadian.We need made in Canada.
How do you feel about trade agreements?

I would hazard a guess that almost everything that you can get that is made in China, is also available made in Canada. The issue is that it costs more, to cover the cost of paying Canadian workers more.

It's your choice if you purchase the China-made or Canadian-made product.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The big corporations make it almost impossible to buy stuff made in Canada, the USA, or Europe. They get big margins on made in China.

A few solutions to provide a disincentive to this:

1. Buy made in democratic country goods whenever you can afford.
2. If you can't buy or can't afford those, look for used. A good used made in Canada product will outlast the China junk anyway.
3. Break the latest and greatest game. I buy 1 to 2 year old gadgets off the internet with good success as the "latest and greatest" crowd sell them off. e.g. I got a great brand name tablet (32 GB) used for $125. $479 when new...came with short warranty.
4. Plan ahead with purchases. If no good option, buy the crap direct from China. Takes 4 wks, but so what. A $20 cable at local multinational retailer is $3 delivered from China - same same item. A 16 GB Wifi SD card made in Japan, $65 in Canada best price I could find, $30 delivered from China.
5. Support small businesses in town. They often have the best selection of not made in China stuff. Some (not all) are willing to dicker the price a tad to be more affordable.

I for one refuse to pay "made in Canada" prices for Chinese stuff.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Trade agreement with China (or anywhere else)

Post by jimmy4321 »

People almost always take the path of least resistance. The playing fields uneven with China, and if ever things do change, we will just buy our crap from the next poor country.
Unfortunately they do make decent stuff.
Static
Guru

Re: Trade agreement with China (or anywhere else)

Post by Static »

Blame corporations all you want but at the end of the day it is the consumer that is at fault. One man's spending is another's income.

Return to “Canada”