Ivan Henry's wrongful conviction

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Ivan Henry's wrongful conviction

Post by maryjane48 »

The case of a man who spent almost 27 years in prison after he was wrongfully convicted for sexual assaults he didn't commit will be in court again — and this time, his lawyers are seeking damages for him.

Lawyers for Ivan Henry, now 67, will argue Thursday in the Supreme Court of Canada in Ottawa that his charter rights were violated over 30 years ago when Crown prosecutors failed to disclose information relevant to his case, and that proof of maliciousness is not required.

Henry was found guilty of a series of sexual assaults in the early 1980s. He was picked out of a bogus police lineup that featured police officers and Henry being held in a choke hold.

Henry has always maintained his innocence, and little attention was given to more than two dozen similar sexual assaults that took place after Henry was incarcerated.

it is bad enough the province with holding evidence, but for the cops to have bogus line ups is deplorable, they should have to go to jail themselves if they are alive
Jx3
Übergod

Re: Ivan Henry's wrongful conviction

Post by Jx3 »

He was picked out of a bogus police lineup that featured police officers and Henry being held in a choke hold.

What does that even mean?? In the lineup he was being held in a choke hold?? Is there a link with more information?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

ivan-henry-vpd-lineup
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

^^^^^
That photo is for real??

How was that ever allowed to be used in court?

Looks more like a "Kids in the Hall" sketch.

Was the date it was taken April 1st by any chance?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Jx3 wrote:^^^^^
That photo is for real??

How was that ever allowed to be used in court?

Looks more like a "Kids in the Hall" sketch.

Was the date it was taken April 1st by any chance?

After Henry’s arrest in 1982, he refused to participate in a physical line-up. Police officers forced him into the line-up and one officer held him in a headlock as seen in a photograph that was entered as evidence in his appeal.
While in a headlock, Henry struggled and shouted and was restrained. One uniformed constable put his arm around Henry’s neck and forced his head up. His photograph was used in a photographic line-up and seen by some of the witnesses.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

this story is absolutely dreadfull to say the least.It really really displays just how bad our justice system is and can be and just how bad Canadians cops are and can be
Heads should roll over this but just like the two women cops whom murdered(shot point blank with 9MM) the homeless guy in Vancouver or the cop in Houston whom murdered the 22 year old kid in Houston etc etc tec
it will get buried in bs as there are so many bad cop storys in this country its absolutely disgracefull
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Anyone care to guess how many police officers are in the line up ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

wanderingman wrote:this story is absolutely dreadfull to say the least.It really really displays just how bad our justice system is and can be and just how bad Canadians cops are and can be
Heads should roll over this but just like the two women cops whom murdered(shot point blank with 9MM) the homeless guy in Vancouver or the cop in Houston whom murdered the 22 year old kid in Houston etc etc tec
it will get buried in bs as there are so many bad cop storys in this country its absolutely disgracefull

if you hate the cops here so much move to brazil, on average they kill 6 people a day, then you can have a real reason to complain-you hate cops we get it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

my5cents wrote:Anyone care to guess how many police officers are in the line up ?

No need to guess:

In total, there were three police officers in the 1982 lineup.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2010 ... _jail.html

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada ... story.html

There was another thread on this topic back in 2011.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Fancy wrote:"my5cents":Anyone care to guess how many police officers are in the line up ?

No need to guess: "In total, there were three police officers in the 1982 lineup.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2010 ... _jail.html
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada ... story.html
There was another thread on this topic back in 2011.

Well they and you'd wrong. It's easier to say, the guy wearing 12 (Ivan Henry) and # 18 are the only people in the photo who are not cops.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I thought there were more police in the photo but didn't find a source to confirm that. It's a tragedy the witnesses testified against Henry.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Fancy wrote:I thought there were more police in the photo but didn't find a source to confirm that. It's a tragedy the witnesses testified against Henry.

I suspect Henry was not a real nice guy and likely that didn't enhance his relations with the police (that certainly is not an essential element of any of the charges)

The way lineups are held now, compared to back then is like comparing night to day. I don't just mean holding a lineup where the person of interest is being held in a head-lock.

I think the victims do believe Henry is the guy, they are just wrong. I don't know what was said to them when they viewed the line-up. It wasn't that uncommon for the witness to be told, "yup the guy you picked was the guy we thought it was", which destroys any subsequent identification of the accused by that witness. (ie, in court if the witness points to the accused as the attacker, is she pointing to someone she recognizes as the perpetrator or to the person she thought looked like the perpetrator that she saw in the line-up and who's identification was bolstered by the police saying that's who they thought it was.)

There's a lot of flaws in our system and in the mind set of the police.

For example, we all have the right to not say anything when asked for a statement by the police. We also have the right to speak with a lawyer. Talk to virtually every cop. If someone doesn't want to talk and wants a lawyer, they have just "non-verbally" said "I did it". The mind set of the cop, "well if they had nothing to hide, they would have made a statement". That isn't necessarily true.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

is it possible to dig up henrys past to see what kind of guy he was before this happened to him ???
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

the truth wrote:is it possible to dig up henrys past to see what kind of guy he was before this happened to him ???

He was never charged with anything, but he was really really nasty....

He had a record as long as your arm and was really nasty.....

What's the difference ?

Return to “Canada”