Should Canada change Thanksgiving to November?

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Should Canada change Thanksgiving to November?

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:This is totally driven by consumers

Atomoa wrote:There is no pressure from business, who own media outlets?

No pressure from governments that are relying more and more on sales-based taxes on goods because they can't get the revenue they used to get from the financial, business, and energy sectors that have had their tax rates cut in half over the last 25 years? As many people know - xmas accounts for 50% or more of yearly sales for many stores - our trinket economy.

Every 5th dollar in the world is spent on Marketing. Screwing with your brain so you'll buy things.

I see & hear commercials all the time, does not force me to go buy anything.

Absolutely no one is forced to go shopping for wants, now there are the necessaries i.e food & clothing (Oh no one is forced to eat out or need umpteen number of outfits).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Absolutely no one is forced to go shopping for wants...

Except the fact that if everyone went and lived a "simple non consumer life", the economy would tank.

I love those made-in-China, sold at discount stores luxury wall hangings with catchy phrases like "Live simple".
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Atomoa wrote:Except the fact that if everyone went and lived a "simple non consumer life", the economy would tank.

If everyone would actual live within there means, banks & credit cards companies would be screwed.

Whats your point
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

GordonH wrote:Whats your point

My point is that you keep suggesting "its the consumers fault", but our entire economy is based on the consumption of material "want" items. We'll fight wars and kill hundreds of thousands of people to protect our economy. You think pressuring citizens (with marketing, laws, ect) to be mindless consumers is considered "going too far" to the people who are at risk to lose it all if everyone rejects blanket materialism?

banks & credit cards companies would be screwed.

Do you think they would let that happen? They own the politicians that write the laws.

Remember after 9/11? the big worry was nobody was shopping. Look at CDC disease control protocol. A majour limiting factor is balancing the needs "of the economy" (keeping people in the shopping malls) and keeping people alive by keeping people at home so they don't spread disease.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

banks & credit cards companies would be screwed.

Atomoa wrote:Do you think they would let that happen? They own the politicians that write the laws.

So banks & CC are forcing society to live outside there means, nope its people wanting things before they can actual afford them.
If it is something you really want then save the money and buy it without using credit, pretty simple.

Added: getting back to topic of this thread, my response is still Hell no.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

GordonH wrote:
So banks & CC are forcing society to live outside there means, nope its people wanting things before they can actual afford them.
If it is something you really want then save the money and buy it without using credit, pretty simple.

Wages static last 25 years. Look at the growth of the credit industry. It was non nonexistent 25 years ago compared to todays standards. Look how easy it got to get a credit card - a dog could get one. Governments don't write laws regarding financial rules and regulations?

Of course people have to keep spending - especially if they cant afford it. Otherwise we all go down with the ship.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I guess if the economy is hinge on me spending beyond my means, then it is screwed. I was brought up by parents that taught me good money management skills.

Something that is seriously lacking in society today.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

My Grandparents supported 8 children on 1 middle class wage just 50 years ago. Try that now and see how far you get.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

GordonH wrote:I guess if the economy is hinge on me spending beyond my means, then it is screwed.

One just needs to see the "crisis" going on here in Canada of growing consumer debt.

All time high.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

jennylives wrote:My Grandparents supported 8 children on 1 middle class wage just 50 years ago. Try that now and see how far you get.

I bet your grandparents didn't feel the need to have a TV in every room, and have their "middle class bathroom" done with Bali-beach-stone floors :)

Its no secret the gains of the middle class over the last 25 years are primarily due to "Mom" going to work, but even then its marginal. Go back to single income families and we are well below our grandparents standard of living.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I guess if the economy is hinge on me spending beyond my means, then it is screwed.

Atomoa wrote:One just needs to see the "crisis" going on here in Canada of growing consumer debt.

All time high.

Goes right back to good money management skill, if you don't have them of course trouble is going to happen.

Oh yes this is big benefit stay in school.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

GordonH wrote:Something that is seriously lacking in society today.

This is a powerful statement and Im going to reach here.

I believe that there are elements in play that make a "enjoyable life" harder to obtain, and thus naturally people "buy things" to make up for what their lives lack.

Marketing is a huge beast. Billions and billions of dollars. I would say half of marketing, if not more, is exploiting the feeling that you lack something in your life - and a product will make it better.

On one side of the coin you have to tell people their lives lack fulfillment. On the other side you can create a medium that truly does lack fulfillment.

Something seriously is lacking in society - and our whole economy is based on filling that gap with cheap, plastic gadgets and gizmos. A huge industry is the "financial industry" that creates nothing but money itself. Therefore you must BUY things with that money to enjoy your life (unless you have a money fetish?) How much is that "lacking in society" facilitated by the people in power? Do they truly want everyone to be happy and satisfied with life? We wouldn't be buying things if we were.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The lacking I meant was money management skill, ^^^^ that to .

Return to “Canada”