Should Canada change Thanksgiving to November?

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Should Canada change Thanksgiving to November?

Post by bob vernon »

With more and more Canadians, and Canadian retailers, offering shopping at great savings on American Thanksgiving, should Canada consider shifting the date of our Thanksgiving from October to November on the same dates as the Americans. That way, Canadians could join the Americans in giving thanks for what really counts in life? Low retail pricing.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Should Canada change Thanksgiving to November?

Post by GordonH »

Simply answer: Hell no.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

GordonH wrote:Simply answer: Hell no.

The Americans can change their date to conform to ours.
October is a saner month to have it - better weather.
IMO
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Why is Canadian Thanksgiving is so early? Did Canadian settlers kill the natives before Americans or something?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Wikipedia has a nice article about Thanksgiving explaining why it's a different date in Canada and the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgivi ... he_holiday
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

It's because all the pumpkins have been carved up and had their guts ripped out by November. You can't have Thanksgiving without pumpkins.
I birn quil I se
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Yeah, but with Thanksgiving moved to the third week in November it would be much closer to Christmas and we could take advantage of Black Friday retail pricing to do our Christmas shopping and save a bunch. Isn't shopping more important than being thankful (to who and for what I don't know)?
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

No way. The more we separate ourselves from the U.S., the better.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

No thank you! The further away from christmas the better!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Thanksgiving is not about shopping. It's about turkey, um family, and I'm not willing to wait the extra month for my feast. We are Canada, we are not the USA, there is no need for us to copy them.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

I love Bob's Posts. Thanksgiving is certainly about "the kick off of the shopping season" down the in US.

"Black Friday". Get those books back in the black!

bob vernon wrote:That way, Canadians could join the Americans in giving thanks for what really counts in life?

Stores do their whole year in a month. Our consumer economy depends on a materialistic Christmas. It's Jesus's quarterly profits time.

In science fiction, generally you see comical social "changes" that have occurred. I can't wait until they just cut out the bullpoop and people start calling it the "economy rebirth day". Drop the "winter/seasonal" in the phrase "winter shopping season".
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

bob vernon wrote:With more and more Canadians, and Canadian retailers, offering shopping at great savings on American Thanksgiving, should Canada consider shifting the date of our Thanksgiving from October to November on the same dates as the Americans. That way, Canadians could join the Americans in giving thanks for what really counts in life? Low retail pricing.

Thanksgiving is a seasonal holiday, period. You CAN'T have thanksgiving on the same weekend when our season ends far sooner than the USA's fall season. On another note, Canadians will NEVER have black friday pricing like the USA does, ever. So get that out of your heads. Canadians have a much higher standard of living which dictates our prices on everything, from cell phone plans to gas prices. A large percentage of the USA live in ghetto's and bankrupt cities with little to no policing and social programs. Is it any wonder that everything is cheaper there?

As much as I hope we never share anything with the USA, it is entirely inevitable considering we are very quickly becoming the next state to join the union. Our country has been bought out and sold by our government, we are already becoming American as we speak today. When we go shopping, our money goes to American owners. Not just because they own the store but also because we are forced to buy their products over our very own Canadian products.

So yeah, I have to say no thanks when it comes to joining the USA for Thanksgiving. I want nothing to do with that country and the terror it inflicts across our planet.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

We have/do experience both as we spend time in the US during the winter. I like the Canadian one in October much better because it gives more separation between it and Christmas. If people like to travel to visit family or whatever it gives them more of a break between and much better travel weather. Best of all it spreads out the two festivities so you enjoy the "meals" etc. more.

Stick with what we have. There is absolutely no need to copy the US on anything.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

http://theweek.com/speedreads/index/271 ... anksgiving

A shopping mall in upstate New York has apparently threatened to fine retailers the insane sum of $200 an hour if they aren't open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving.

The holiday is apparently no longer a time when Americans can sit down for a nice dinner with their families. This year, retailers around the country, including Macy's, Target, and Walmart, have pledged to open their doors on Thanksgiving Day in addition to Black Friday.

Fined for not shopping. At least we are getting honest about it.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The roots of Thanksgiving are from a time when we didn't have the year round availability of all the food we do today. At the end of the summer growing season there was an opportunity to feast on the surplus of food that was available before winter set in and ended that. And earlier cultures didn't have the ability to preserve food like we do now, nor did they have the transportation infrastructure to import fresh fruit and vegetables like we do today. So while the food was available, it was a time to have plenty to eat.......... and thank God for providing it. Whether you believe in a God or not, it was the time to be grateful for the harvest.

Sadly, this holiday has become twisted and lost the thankfulness for having received the fall harvest and it's become an opportunity for greed and increased sales of consumer goods. Next up looks like Boxing Day. Some stores in the US are opening on Christmas Day in order to get the jump on the crowds willing to spend their money. Expect this to come to Canada. Greed is becoming our culture.

Return to “Canada”