Should Canada change Thanksgiving to November?

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Should Canada change Thanksgiving to November?

Post by Dizzy1 »

2 turkeys with in a month of each other is too much. Much more enjoyable if it's spaced out like we do up here ;)

As for Black Friday - there's no reason we can't have it up here just like they've been trying for the last few years. I'm all for that, as long as Canadian retailers actually give us deals like we used to get and not just 20 bucks off here and there and call that a "door crasher"
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

The real question is, why is American Thanksgiving so late? Ours was first.
Your bias suits you.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Don't really know but I would bet for the same reasons stated above. The majority of the US people probably lived further south, with a later harvest and therefore a later date for Thanksgiving. Don't quote me on that.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Why is Canadian Thanksgiving is so early? Did Canadian settlers kill the natives before Americans or something?

what natives? maybe u meant the first immigrants from east asia?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

dg3 wrote:what natives? maybe u meant the first immigrants from east asia?

With that logic the entire human race are immigrants of South Africa.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

GordonH wrote:Simply answer: Hell no.

Well said!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

http://billmoyers.com/2014/11/20/kmart- ... lly-fired/

Give thanks that you have a job, peasant.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ I guess when your union job is automaton-ish to the point where you drop out and another drone steps in, you don't understand that certain positions require employees to be present for work.

Accounting firms require employees to be present during tax time.
Surgeons require nurses to be present during surgeries.

Asking employees to refrain from vacation time during the one month where the retail outlet brings in > half its yearly revenues, revenues without which no one would be working, is far from unreasonable.

I know a bitter loser who hates his job and hates his employer may see it otherwise, but fortunately Canada has been built with a better work ethic and better respect level than what you espouse.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

I love the comparison that a surgeon saving a human beings life is as important as the lowest end employee keeping a store open to sell plastic Chinese made luxury items in order to keep the Christmas economy alive.

We know where some peoples priorities are I guess.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I would suspect its un-written rule in Hotel/Motel industry in Okanagan that taking holidays during peak times i.e summer time is frowned upon, if not aloud.

Having ones employees not available when needed i.e peak sales periods. Mostly likely means those employees will need to find different employment, that fits around their holiday needs.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

We are not talking about "meeting employers needs" as a static thing.

In order to feed the Christmas beast, stores are now staying open 24 hours, open throughout the holidays and the demand on employees to sacrifice their family/home lives for their bosses (who will be at home with their families) interests increases.

Remember - the economy must grow. It's only going to get worse.

These people don't get overtime because their employer limits their hours to keep them at part-time levels.

Is this where we want to take our society?

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Atomoa wrote:We are not talking about "meeting employers needs" as a static thing.

In order to feed the Christmas beast, stores are now staying open 24 hours, open throughout the holidays and the demand on employees to sacrifice their family/home lives for their bosses (who will be at home with their families) interests increases.

Remember - the economy must grow. It's only going to get worse.

These people don't get overtime because their employer limits their hours to keep them at part-time levels.

That beast has been around for some time now, sorry it's not going away anytime soon.

All I do about it is not feed it, take a look at almost any parking lot between November 1st to early January(on any given day & especially weekends). The beast is eating very well.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

GordonH wrote:
That beast has been around for some time now, sorry it's not going away anytime soon.

I did in my family. We now save our money at Christmas and spent it when the sun is out.

Like I suggested - is this where we want to go?

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:That beast has been around for some time now, sorry it's not going away anytime soon.

Atomoa wrote:I did in my family. We now save our money at Christmas and spent it when the sun is out.

Like I suggested - is this where we want to go?

Until those parking lots stop filling up, meaning shoppers stop shopping. The stores will just continue to do what they do.

This is totally driven by consumers
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

GordonH wrote:
This is totally driven by consumers

There is no pressure from business, who own media outlets?

No pressure from governments that are relying more and more on sales-based taxes on goods because they can't get the revenue they used to get from the financial, business, and energy sectors that have had their tax rates cut in half over the last 25 years? As many people know - xmas accounts for 50% or more of yearly sales for many stores - our trinket economy.

Every 5th dollar in the world is spent on Marketing. Screwing with your brain so you'll buy things.

- Buckminster Fuller

Return to “Canada”