Man Charged for Impersonating Soldier

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Man Charged for Impersonating Soldier

Post by Treblehook »

This character decided he would acquire and wear the uniform of a Canadian soldier, and worse yet, that he would wear the badges and decorations [medals] earned by a real man. Gervais is a complete disgrace. Who knows what the courts will eventually do with this jerk, but hopefully he has been, and will continue to be, humiliated by the widespread media coverage and the public condemnation that has resulted from his despicable fraud. My guess is he wouldn't last through one week of basic training, never mind stand the test of actual combat.
daria
Guru

Re: Man Charged for Impersonating Soldier

Post by daria »

I don't agree with Gervais's actions, but Harper has also been seen military gear that he has no right to wear, since he has never served in the armed forces:

Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol yes but you wont see sun news say anything like that daria , but great point
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

daria wrote:I don't agree with Gervais's actions, but Harper has also been seen military gear that he has no right to wear

Stephen Harper has the right to wear "military gear" because he's the supreme commander of Canadian Armed Forces just like any other Prime Minister.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

No, CA, he isn't. That's an American thing (Commander in Chief). The Prime Minister is not the head of the Canadian military; that nominal role belongs to the Governor General.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Wikipedia wrote:The powers of command-in-chief over the Canadian Forces are vested in the Canadian monarch, and are delegated to the Governor General of Canada, who also uses the title Commander-in-Chief. In this capacity, the Governor General is entitled to the uniform of a general/flag officer, with the crest of the office and special cuff braid serving as rank insignia.

Since that jacket Stephen Harper is wearing does not appear to have any rankings on it, I suspect anyone can get one at any Army surplus outlet.
Last edited by GordonH on Nov 16th, 2014, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

As a result of the Ottawa Police investigation into allegations of a male portraying himself as a member of the Canadian Armed Forces on November 11 at the Remembrance Day ceremony in Ottawa, the Ottawa Police Central District Investigations Unit has charged Franck GERVAIS, 32 years old of Cantley Quebec with the following:

- 1 count of Personating a Public Officer per section 130 (1)(a) Criminal Code

- 1 count of Personating a Public Officer (misleading use of badge, uniform) per section 130 (1)(b) Criminal Code

- 1 count of Unlawful Use of Military Uniforms per section 419 (a) Criminal Code

- 1 count of Unlawful Use of Military Decoration per section 419 (b) Criminal Code

Gervais attended the Ottawa Police station on November 15th. He was arrested, charged and released on a Recognizance and undertaking to appear in court on December 9, 2014.

The investigation into this matter remains ongoing.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

daria wrote:The Prime Minister is not the head of the Canadian military; that nominal role belongs to the Governor General.

You're right. My apologies.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

130. Personating peace officer

Don't try this one at home...

130. (1) Everyone commits an offence who

(a) falsely represents himself to be a peace officer or a public officer; or

(b) not being a peace officer or public officer, uses a badge or article of uniform or equipment in a manner that is likely to cause persons to believe that he is a peace officer or a public officer, as the case may be

Punishment
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

No problem. :)
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Unlawful use of military uniforms or certificates

419. Every one who without lawful authority, the proof of which lies on him,

(a) wears a uniform of the Canadian Forces or any other naval, army or air force or a uniform that is so similar to the uniform of any of those forces that it is likely to be mistaken therefor,

(b) wears a distinctive mark relating to wounds received or service performed in war, or a military medal, ribbon, badge, chevron or any decoration or order that is awarded for war services, or any imitation thereof, or any mark or device or thing that is likely to be mistaken for any such mark, medal, ribbon, badge, chevron, decoration or order,
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

It will be interesting to see what Gervais has to say, upon receiving sentence. Bet his wife will be real proud of her Military man!!
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

They shouldn't have ever let on that they knew he was a fake. Instead they should have tracked him down with a film crew saying they're doing a reality show and he's been picked to go on a very dangerous mission into the heart of ISIS because of his bravery. Either he'd have to buckle in a self-confessed mess or keep playing the role in which case we actually send him on a crazy mission no one else wants to go on. Either way would be entertaining.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

daria wrote:I don't agree with Gervais's actions, but Harper has also been seen military gear that he has no right to wear, since he has never served in the armed forces:

I get your point, but surely you must see the difference in Harper's case. He is not purporting to be a soldier, nor is there anyway that anyone would mistakenly believe him to be one. Also, he has not paraded about wearing medals that can only be won for acts of bravery or from participation in various military actions/campaigns. I am neither supporting Harper nor condemning him; rather, highlighting the distinct difference between Harper as our PM and Gervais who was clearly presenting himself as a decorated veteran.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

I still think it was in bad taste for Harper to dress up like he was the "Commander in Chief," when that is not his official role with the military. Not saying Gervais isn't a disrespectful idiot, but Harper's photo op during the Alberta floods was distasteful in my opinion.

Return to “Canada”