Glorification of Nazism: Canada votes no

jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Glorification of Nazism: Canada votes no

Post by jimsenchuk »

*bleep*? Canada votes against UN resolution condemning glorification of Nazism!

Can someone please explain why Canada was one of three countries to vote Friday against a United Nations resolution condemning the glorification of Nazism?

The resolution, which censures attempts to glorify Nazi ideology and denial of German crimes during the Second World War, was passed by the General Assembly committee that deals with human rights abuses by a vote of 115 to three, with 55 nations abstaining.

If you're having a *bleep* moment, rest assured I'm not making this up. This is not fake news. It is the real McCoy, and it's been widely reported -- in Russia. You can read about it on RT or ITAR-TASS. Here is the UN's own report of the meeting.

The Canadian media, however, apparently doesn't think this is an important story, if they are even aware of it. Leastways, there seems to have been very little Canadian coverage of this story, which, if I may be so bold, is odd given the media's normal fascination with anything to do with Nazis.

Actually, we can begin to puzzle out why Canada voted against this resolution when we know the identities of the other two countries that voted the same way: the United States and Ukraine. Probably not coincidentally, the U.S. media also seems completely uninterested in the story.

It is also helpful to know who put the resolution on the agenda. That would be Russia.

Knowing this much, we can begin to see the general outlines of what was really going on when Canada's representatives cast their bizarre vote at the General Assembly's Third Committee.

As is well understood, notwithstanding much rhetorical mumbo-jumbo by many interested parties to obfuscate what is really going on, there is a civil war in Eastern Ukraine. Casualties have been high, including many Westerners in a passenger aircraft that was shot down by someone, who or why not being 100 per cent certain despite the confident and contradictory claims of both sides.

Russia is backing one side. The United States and its NATO allies, including Canada, are backing the other. Both blame the other for the situation and the casualties. So it is simply impossible for most Canadians, even those with some knowledge and a lively interest in the situation, to be confident which version of events is true.

While much of this story is murky, we can say a few things with reasonable confidence:

- The previous government of Ukraine tilted toward the Russians

- The current government of Ukraine was put in place in a coup, which we are told was led by people who wanted to tilt toward the West

- The coup and the current government are supported by some quite unsavoury groups, including neo-Nazi paramilitary organizations that use Nazi symbols on their uniforms and regalia

- Prime Minister Stephen Harper is passionate in his support for the coup government

Indeed, Harper may be so passionate in his support for the current Ukrainian government and the fact its economic program meshes with his neoliberal idea of "economic freedom" that he is willing to overlook, intentionally or not, certain glaring failings on the part of some of its key players.

This is part of a pattern with Harper, of course, that is often visible in other policy areas as well.

As for the Russians, who despite myriad flaws of their own have an obvious strategic interest in the country next door with its significant population of Russian-speaking citizens, they seem to have been fairly successful in outmaneuvering the Ukrainian regime's Western backers since their initial failure in allowing the coup to take place last February.

When Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott, a former boxer, blustered that he would "shirtfront" Russian President Vladimir Putin about this situation at the G20 meeting earlier this month in Brisbane, Putin, a black belt in judo, shirtfronted him.

(Shirtfronting is apparently an Australianism meaning something along the lines of "punch your lights out." As an aside, just as you can generally bet on a boxer in a scrap with a karate black belt, it pays to bet on the judoka in a fight with a boxer -- especially when he brings a flotilla of nuclear-armed warships with him.)

Harper was so furious about this in Brisbane that he apparently stomped his little foot and acted like a Parliamentary page with a "STOP Putin" sign, no doubt provoking general hilarity back at the Kremlin.

Knowing what we all know about Ukrainian neo-Nazi units' role in Ukraine's civil war, the Russian sponsored resolution was doubtless mischievous in intent -- and apparently quite successfully so!

Canada should have followed the example of Israel, which supported the motion regardless of its source and quietly moved on. Our representatives would even have done better to imitated the moral cowards of the European Union and Australia and abstained from the vote.

But, oh no! Harper's government, with its immature fondness for wedge politics at home and inflexible market fundamentalist ideology everywhere, didn't have the subtlety for even that.

So, along with our Great Neighbours to the South, we blundered right into Russia's snare and now look to all the world like perfect pair of prats -- or much worse!

Alert readers will recall that the members of the UN didn't want Canada occupying a non-permanent seat on the Security Council back in 2010, something that would have been a cinch before the Harper crowd came along. Well, I don't think this latest development is going to help us recover from that embarrassment!

In the mean time, Canadians deserve to know: Is the government of Canada against the glorification of Nazism, or not? If we are, why did we vote against the resolution? Perhaps those might be useful questions for someone to ask in the House of Commons this afternoon.

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/djclime ... Y.facebook
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Canada votes against UN resolution condemning glorificat

Post by Fancy »

Speaking before the vote, the representative of Ukraine said Stalinism had killed many people in the Gulag, condemning Hitler and Stalin alike as international criminals. Calling on the Russian Federation to stop glorifying and feeding Stalinism, he said he could not support the draft text. Any intolerance should be dealt with in an appropriate and balanced manner, he added. The manipulation of history for one’s own political agenda was wrong, he said, noting that the Russian Federation was supporting neo-Nazi groups and terrorist groups in Crimea. The proposed draft resolution sent the wrong message, he added, saying he would vote against it.

http://www.un.org/press/en/2014/gashc4124.doc.htm

Maybe it was all in the wording.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i was right harper is a nazi :)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Unsubstantiated.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

jimsenchuk wrote:*bleep*? Canada votes against UN resolution condemning glorification of Nazism!

My guess it was a political move.

In case you've missed it, there's a lot of friction going on right now between Russia and USA over Ukraine. My guess is USA and Canada (being US closest ally) just wanted to make a point and be against anything Russia brings up. Russia been accusing Ukraine over glorification of Nazism for quite some time, so if they (US, Canada, Ukraine) voted in favor, they`d be playing into Russia`s game.

It`s all BS politics.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The UN, Canada, etc. have already condemn Nazis, so why this new resolution? It's all a political BS move designed to condemn Ukraine, not Nazis. This is why no European nations outside of Russia and Belarus voted in favour.

http://mission-un-ny.mfa.lt/index.php?4035572906
Last edited by Glacier on Nov 25th, 2014, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Once more identifying the age old adage that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"; no matter how misguided they may be.

The MidEast is full of such passing "alliances".
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Donald G wrote:Once more identifying the age old adage that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"; no matter how misguided they may be.

The MidEast is full of such passing "alliances".

Interestingly, all middle east countries that think Hitler didn't go far enough with the Jews, voted in favour of this resolution.

I'm happy that we decided to not help Russia with their propaganda. I am also happy that we didn't take the easy way out by abstaining.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Interestingly, all middle east countries that think Hitler didn't go far enough with the Jews, voted in favour of this resolution.

I'm happy that we decided to not help Russia with their propaganda. I am also happy that we didn't take the easy way out by abstaining.
the ukraine isn't as cut and dry as they want us to believe , i have talked with people living there now and they have said the govt forces have killed innocents as much as the rebels have
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

lakevixen wrote:the ukraine isn't as cut and dry as they want us to believe , i have talked with people living there now and they have said the govt forces have killed innocents as much as the rebels have

Absolutely, but two wrongs don't make a right. Russia was trying to vilify its enemy, whilst glossing over its own human rights record.
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Glorification of Nazism: Canada votes no

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:Here are result of the vote: http://www.un.org/en/ga/third/67/docs/v ... .Rev.1.pdf

The article couldn't even get their facts straight. They were right that 3 countries voted no, but the Ukraine was NOT one of them. It reeks of conspiracy theory propaganda. They are shocked that the mainstream media hasn't covered this story. Well, that's probably because they have more journalistic integrity than this rag. Is this website run by the Kremlin?
- Douglas Murray
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

lakevixen wrote:i was right harper is a nazi :)

can you show proof of this??????
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Easy...

- Douglas Murray
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

lol, pretty good
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Canada”