Attawapiskat First Nation in trouble again

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Attawapiskat First Nation in trouble again

Post by Ken7 »

http://globalnews.ca/news/1698524/attaw ... ment-says/

Attawapiskat First Nation must repay $1.8 million, government says.

I'm glad they did this audit, Sister Theresa Spence and her hubby had their hands in the cookie jar for too long. Very sad, as their people who won't complain suffer and it's time this stops.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Attawapiskat First Nation in trouble again

Post by Always Sunny »

I'm quite surprised it's only $1.8 million.

Having lived in NW Ontario for almost 25 years, these stories made the news constantly.

I hate to say it, but it's not always about their people "not complaining". Now don't get me wrong, there are certainly those who truly need the help and can't/won't speak up. However, I've worked with far too many First Nations folks who know how to work the system.

"Hey Melvin, your kitchen cupboards have been halfway ripped off the walls and the siding is in terrible condition, you've built cabins and gazebos at work before, you could definitely fix these things yourself"...."why would I do that? they're giving me a new house soon". These are guys make tens of thousands for a few months work and still look for every hand out possible.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

Ken7 wrote:http://globalnews.ca/news/1698524/attawapiskat-first-nation-must-repay-1-8-million-government-says/

Attawapiskat First Nation must repay $1.8 million, government says.

I'm glad they did this audit, Sister Theresa Spence and her hubby had their hands in the cookie jar for too long. Very sad, as their people who won't complain suffer and it's time this stops.

What a sad sad mess. Just another example of how those in power do as they choose with little accountability to the people they serve. (e.g. the band council to band members). This audit is essential to setting things straight. How can $50K per person go up in smoke with nothing to show for it?
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

annexi wrote:
What a sad sad mess. Just another example of how those in power do as they choose with little accountability to the people they serve. (e.g. the band council to band members). This audit is essential to setting things straight. How can $50K per person go up in smoke with nothing to show for it?

Sadly, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that this is only one of many that has been miss spending and the money allocated is not and has no been spent as it was granted.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

annexi wrote:

Ken7 wrote:Sadly, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that this is only one of many that has been miss spending and the money allocated is not and has no been spent as it was granted.

I think the whole system is broken; monetary compensation cannot and has not afforded the First Nations opportunity to recover from the injustices done them. Money does not heal the kind of wounds that have devastated this culture. There has to be a better way to justice for them.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Sorry, but "for them" is a tad old fashioned for my taste.

I know those who have put themselves through college and university so that the solution comes from a "by us" stand point.

My hat off to her, (you know who you are).
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

annexi wrote:I think the whole system is broken; monetary compensation cannot and has not afforded the First Nations opportunity to recover from the injustices done them. Money does not heal the kind of wounds that have devastated this culture. There has to be a better way to justice for them.

Maybe you have the answer. Let's stop GIVING them money and they too can work, and pay taxes. Then they won't have time to sit in a circle and constantly bring up what injustices two or three generations ago have faced. Other ethnic groups could do the same, but have chosen to move on!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I have also worked a great deal in the North and have a pretty good idea what goes on. I'm not saying everyone is bad but there are a few for sure and they often seem to end up with a lot of the power.

You cannot help those who do not want to help themselves and I am sorry to say it, but this is often the case. Don't get me wrong it is the case in a lot more places than on reserves. We have many everywhere who are willing to give our governments a free pass because they can't see anything better in the wings. No difference as far as I'm concerned. When I think about this I look no further than Osoyoos to see what can be done with a bit of initiative and work. There's no doubt that many reserves are not in areas that can take advantage of many of the things Osoyoos can, but there are still things available. I know many native Canadians who have left the reserves and done very well for themselves and their families. I have helped to train a number of them and helped them on their way to very successful lives.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

annexi wrote:I think the whole system is broken; monetary compensation cannot and has not afforded the First Nations opportunity to recover from the injustices done them. Money does not heal the kind of wounds that have devastated this culture. There has to be a better way to justice for them.

Ken7 wrote: Maybe you have the answer. Let's stop GIVING them money and they too can work, and pay taxes. Then they won't have time to sit in a circle and constantly bring up what injustices two or three generations ago have faced. Other ethnic groups could do the same, but have chosen to move on!

No that is totally not what I'm saying. I think it's great some of them have used money to get an education. Money definitely helps people get out from under the thumb, it just isn't being applied properly in Attawapiskat. I know this to be a problem in other reserves too and I have seen the poverty in them. It is a sad thing.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

annexi wrote:No that is totally not what I'm saying. I think it's great some of them have used money to get an education. Money definitely helps people get out from under the thumb, it just isn't being applied properly in Attawapiskat. I know this to be a problem in other reserves too and I have seen the poverty in them. It is a sad thing.

What you do not know, is that it is selective who is provided further education. Unlike what you read by the Treaty, sadly only a select few are given that opportunity.

As for money getting people motivated, help me understand? If you do not have to work, and I give you money. I tell you, come back next 1st of the month I'll give you more money, will you be motivated past coming back for more?

Sadly, the word "misappropriation of funding" is a saying which sadly I learned from the Indians, my brothers who I have many friends. It refers to the way money is spent, money that was designated for housing, the people, and social programs to help those people progress is select. Selection is made by Chief and Counsel. Many of those on wages are family, and friends of these evil people.

No one is accountable for the money given to them by Government. I feel it is time as any Government they should be accountable for the spending and the allocation of the grants or funds that have been paid forward.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

annexi wrote:No that is totally not what I'm saying. I think it's great some of them have used money to get an education. Money definitely helps people get out from under the thumb, it just isn't being applied properly in Attawapiskat. I know this to be a problem in other reserves too and I have seen the poverty in them. It is a sad thing.

Ken7 wrote: What you do not know, is that it is selective who is provided further education. Unlike what you read by the Treaty, sadly only a select few are given that opportunity.

As for money getting people motivated, help me understand? If you do not have to work, and I give you money. I tell you, come back next 1st of the month I'll give you more money, will you be motivated past coming back for more?

Sadly, the word "misappropriation of funding" is a saying which sadly I learned from the Indians, my brothers who I have many friends. It refers to the way money is spent, money that was designated for housing, the people, and social programs to help those people progress is select. Selection is made by Chief and Counsel. Many of those on wages are family, and friends of these evil people.

No one is accountable for the money given to them by Government. I feel it is time as any Government they should be accountable for the spending and the allocation of the grants or funds that have been paid forward.

Yes I agree misappropriation of funding is a problem. I don't however agree to cut all funding in one fell swoop if that's what you are proposing.

My understanding is that if a person has status there are automatic educational monies given, isn't that right?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

annexi wrote:

My understanding is that if a person has status there are automatic educational monies given, isn't that right?

By the Treaty you are entitled to education. By the band it is selective which in my opinion is not their decision. This is how it is for all programs, very selective. I met a older gentleman who lives off reserve, he has been battling the Band and his lawyer thinks maybe his children might see land given to them.

Now in saying that, we need another 20% land mass to give each band the land they have claimed. What would happen if you gave the largest band in Canada all the land? Now let them figure it out in what ever way they wish.

We as Immigrants could then go to our landlords and ask for a piece to settle on and financial aid or assistance..
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

http://globalnews.ca/news/1716129/feds- ... -finances/

Hope this is decided in court to have financial records made public. Possibly then the people who are to be given the money will then see they too are not getting it! Then the Chiefs will have to explain where the shares are being spent.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

They. Them. The "other". See...... it's working.

Return to “Canada”