Income tax write-offs

V-Rated
Guru

Income tax write-offs

Post by V-Rated »

When Customers tip, the receiver is supposed to claim it on their taxes. Then why shouldn't the customer be allowed to write it off on their taxes?
Some say we are supplementing their wage, employers write off wages, why can't we?

Thoughts?... (I tried this topic in another post but it kept getting derailed, please don't get into right and wrong tipping practices. There are other threads about that)

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Income Tax write offs...

Post by Captain Awesome »

You can, if it's a business-related meal.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Obviously... I'm talking personal.

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

When you buy groceries the store records it as income, when you buy gas the gas station records it as income, when you buy a pair of shoes the store records it as income, when you go skiing the ski hill records your lift ticket cost as income, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I'm thinking you probably should have thought a little harder before you started this thread.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

So all cash transactions are reported as income? No receipt given?
A local Chinese restaurant gives 10% off if you pay in cash...ask for a receipt and they deny because of cash transaction!
ANYWAY... I'm asking your thoughts on writing it off. I don't know how much more clearer I can be. I'm more than aware of my purchases and income! I'm talking .....arghhhhh re-read it. I have no more time for ******!

~V~
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

tgm929 wrote:When you buy groceries the store records it as income, when you buy gas the gas station records it as income, when you buy a pair of shoes the store records it as income, when you go skiing the ski hill records your lift ticket cost as income, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I'm thinking you probably should have thought a little harder before you started this thread.

And when I leave a tidy like 15%+ tip for my server and he/she decides pocket that money and claim only their hourly wage as income...who is recording that tip as income?

The OP isn't asking about gas or shoes, so don't bother derailing with those.

I'm thinking you probably should have thought a little harder before you replied to this thread
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Always Sunny wrote:And when I leave a tidy like 15%+ tip for my server and he/she decides pocket that money and claim only their hourly wage as income...who is recording that tip as income?

The OP isn't asking about gas or shoes, so don't bother derailing with those.

I'm thinking you probably should have thought a little harder before you replied to this thread

CRA will catch that in about the first second of their look at a hospitality workers tax return. There is no longer discretion in whether a server wishes to report tip income or not.

I'm thinking you should have probably thought a little harder before you replied to that reply in this thread.
You and 71 others Like this post
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

I beg to differ landm. I know several people in the hospitality industry that do not claim. CRA has never said anything ever...we are talking 20 plus years. We all heard of the term cash under the table.

Now I am off topic....it seems many comments about tipping and if it is claimed, but nothing about us as consumers using the money as a tax write off.

~V~
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Income tax write offs

Post by LTD »

its your choice to tip or not to tip so why should you be allowed to claim it if it was mandatory might be a different story
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Exactly my point! It is my choice to tip, also my choice to make donations that I get to write off.
Just looking on thoughts of what people think about the right to have tips as tax deductions.
Thank you!

~V~
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

V-Rated wrote:Exactly my point! It is my choice to tip, also my choice to make donations that I get to write off.
Just looking on thoughts of what people think about the right to have tips as tax deductions.
Thank you!

~V~

I guess we could ask the server for a tax receipt and if they can't/won't provide one then sorry no tip!

Tell them you will donate the same amount to your favorite charity. (and get receipt)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Always Sunny wrote:And when I leave a tidy like 15%+ tip for my server and he/she decides pocket that money and claim only their hourly wage as income...who is recording that tip as income?

These days they don't really have a choice on whether or not to declare it, it happens automatically. If customer pays by Visa/MC/Debit (which now represent vast majority of how people pay), it gets paid out on their paycheck and automatically reflects on their T4 forms.

With cash it's a bit harder, but not a whole lot of people pay by cash nowadays.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

CA, is that how it actually works? I just figured the amount in the tip section was taken out of the till in cash.
When I waitressed as a young girl, that is what we all did.

~V~
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

Simply put, tips are a gratuity and not a donation to a registered charity, so no personal deductions.
I birn quil I se
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

So, I don't see why you should expect RevCan to start allowing personal deductions for expenses unrelated to the creation of business income. Am I totally misunderstanding your point?
Personal expenses are just that. Otherwise, we could write everything off against income.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Canada”