The Inconvenient Indian

logicalview
Guru

Re: The Inconvenient Indian

Post by logicalview »

^^^^^^
Great post. Thank you for your contributions in this thread. Well done.
Not afraid to say "It".
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Trying to equate 1% of millions to 1% of a few hundred is no comparison at all for many reasons but in ALL parts of society there is an upper echelon and a bottom of the barrel group.
It would appear you do not think that the FN are handling their affairs properly. According to whom?
If they are in breach of contracts then it is no different than anyone else and the courts are there to settle things out. Just because a person is FN and even if they live on a res they can still be sued, arrested, detained or even jailed for breaking a law they have agreed to uphold.
Suicides on reservations are no more percentage wise than suicides in like situations and have more to do with drugs and alcohol similar to those FN who die in slums and on the streets of NA every day, right beside folks of other cultures. The war on drugs, alcohol and the effects to family are not synonymous to FN at all!
Just as in the non aboriginal world there are crooks, it is a human trait of sorts, not becoming by any means, but a trait.
In my experience those that complain the most are those that do the least ... they get a personal hate on for someone's good fortune and once on the oh whoa is me wagon they find it impossible to get off.
Amongst FN this is known as sawânakêyimowin.
Besides, you do not have to be a billionaire to be clean and to not live in squalor, to shame and bring down your community and neighbourhood by your lifestyle. You do not need to be a FN person either to live such a life!
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cheknews.ca/racial-slurs-pai ... t-on-fire/

Racial Slurs painted on band office walls before it’s set on fire

Campbell River RCMP are investigating following a disturbing crime at a First Nations band office. Someone broke in, spray-painted racial slurs on the walls and then set it on fire. Mounties are trying to figure out who’s responsible and say it may be prosecuted as a hate crime. Kendall Hanson reports.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

omisimaw wrote:Trying to equate 1% of millions to 1% of a few hundred is no comparison at all for many reasons but in ALL parts of society there is an upper echelon and a bottom of the barrel group.

Indeed. From what I’ve studied and researched over many years and witnessed over the last ten there is a lot of truth in what you say. Why would we expect the nature of First Nations politics to be significantly different from happens in our municipal, provincial and federal governments. From what I’ve seen nepotism and corruption runs through the political structure of many Bands. Favored people get cushy positions where they are able to slack off while salaried by both provincial and federal tax monies. That can be very frustrating.

Life on reservations can be very tough and the people who think the problems can be solved by simplistic thinking based on overgeneralizations and stereotypes are just not being realistic – and in fairness to them (because I don’t want to call anyone a racist, even though that might be exactly the reason), the issue is very complex, has many facets, and takes time, and real effort to study. It also takes the courage to entertain the idea you might not be all-knowing at this point and have more to learn.

I have to disagree with some of what you posted. Suicides on reservations are definitely greater percentage wise than suicides in like situations, and while sometimes have more to do with drugs and alcohol (similar to those FN who die in slums and on the streets of NA every day, right beside folks of other cultures), the Fist Nations people are still struggling with the generational impact of residential schools that consists of family and community violence, as well as sexual offending including incest. While not necessarily synonymous with First Nations, the war on drugs, alcohol and the effects to family is over represented.

In the isolated villages it is not unheard of to see an 18 to 22 year old male get hooked up with a 15 to 16 year old female and have children. This is a crime and nowadays the police and Crown will pursue charges. What gets accomplished in this case where after a couple months jail the offender returns to the community and marries the mother of his child?

You’ve made some great points, but I now avoid these threads. While people like to insist they are not racist, they are still quite comfortable in using the labels and stereotypes to form and maintain their opinions. Up here we have many gainfully employed First Nations in the mines, putting up the transmission line, laying pipeline and building homes. I know guys who have ranches and work as outfitters. I know a very few First nations who can and will sometimes consume alcohol socially, but most I know (including the ones I work with in my position) either abstain completely or suffer greatly and live very tough lives. That last group should just quit, pull up his boot straps and get moving on – right? Yes, but contrary to what some like to suggest each person’s situation is unique and pretty much none of them are simple. Being able to recognize and understand that takes reading, study, courage and work – not the first choice of those who have already formed opinion based on overgeneralizations and stereotypes
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Interesting points. You used the term racist a couple of times and other insinuations of knowledge and understanding which makes it is hard to tell if your post is one of general thought. Or are you referring to me, as it is a quote from one of my posts that starts your post off?
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 22nd, 2015, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: posters request
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

lakevixen wrote:freedom of speech , or hate speech?

If someone said that in front of a crowd of people - he'd be in big trouble.
But we are all used to a lot of racism and hatred on the internet - everywhere - so
it doesn't bother me at all. The internet shouldn't be a polite place.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

if a native person says the only good white man is a dead one,and i have heard it many times over the years then what
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

the truth wrote:if a native person says the only good white man is a dead one,and i have heard it many times over the years then what

Come on now. That's totaly different and you know it. Only whitey's can be racist. LOL
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the truth wrote:if a native person says the only good white man is a dead one,and i have heard it many times over the years then what

same, hate speech
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

People of all walks of life and any age group or gender often say things that are not from the heart but rather from their frustration and anger.
It really does not change who they are as a person or mean they hate anyone
But should these same people make it their duty, their mission, to upset and hurt people, usually for no reason other than to hear their own voice, then yes, they have a problem!
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

lakevixen wrote:freedom of speech , or hate speech?

I thought it over. I think we should be allowed to say whatever we want on the internet.

but if someone says 'all __________ should be shot, let's have open season'

there must be something wrong with the person.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “Canada”