Dalhousie Dentistry Students Suspended

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Dalhousie Dentistry Students Suspended

Post by maryjane48 »

HALIFAX - Dalhousie University suspended 13 dentistry students from clinical duties over misogynistic comments allegedly posted on a social media site, saying it wants to ensure the safety of patients and classmates.

University president Richard Florizone and the dean of dentistry announced that the fourth-year students will not be able to practise at a community clinic while a committee reviews the matter.

Florizone added that this latest response to the deepening crisis could affect the students' ability to graduate if the suspension hasn't been lifted and they haven't fulfilled academic requirements.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/05 ... 16398.html should have booted the idiots out of the class or course, seems like no brainer
opinion2015
Fledgling

Re: Dalhousie Dentistry Students Suspended

Post by opinion2015 »

Young people do stupid things. I have a niece who posts things on FB full of foul language (she is particularly fond of quotes using the F word), and this garners 'likes' from her friends, who I think just want to be socially accepted and are hopeful that liking something rebellious will endear them to their friends.

I did many very stupid things in my teen years, and I am sure my parents thought I would end up in a jail cell some day, but at some point the light came on- and I managed to carve out a pretty good life- and raised a family- and contributed in much volunteer work over my life time.

This is not about me- but more about a group of dentistry students who have studied and worked hard through 4 years of medical school, to become dentists. I believe that they made a huge mistake- thinking that their frat boy, misogynist comments, would not see the light of day- or be made public.

I understand the two young women, who should be most offended by their comments, have chosen a restorative justice program offered by Dalhousie, to deal with this matter. I hope they scald these young men with their words, and get apologies, and some sort of monitoring of their careers as dentists, until they have proven that their stupid frat boy exchanges were just that- macho, immature young males- who made a huge mistake so they do not have to throw away 4 years of hard labour in medical school for some silly FB comments.
Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.
Hubert H. Humphrey
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The problem is we don't really know if the comments are indeed "silly."

In this day and age of people posting stuff and then ACTING out, how can we be sure?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

The words: "Does this rag smell like chloroform to you??" were superimposed on one photo.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.2873918

this is not implying rape ?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

opinion2015 wrote:Young people do stupid things. I have a niece who posts things on FB full of foul language (she is particularly fond of quotes using the F word), and this garners 'likes' from her friends, who I think just want to be socially accepted and are hopeful that liking something rebellious will endear them to their friends.

I did many very stupid things in my teen years, and I am sure my parents thought I would end up in a jail cell some day, but at some point the light came on- and I managed to carve out a pretty good life- and raised a family- and contributed in much volunteer work over my life time.

This is not about me- but more about a group of dentistry students who have studied and worked hard through 4 years of medical school, to become dentists. I believe that they made a huge mistake- thinking that their frat boy, misogynist comments, would not see the light of day- or be made public.

I understand the two young women, who should be most offended by their comments, have chosen a restorative justice program offered by Dalhousie, to deal with this matter. I hope they scald these young men with their words, and get apologies, and some sort of monitoring of their careers as dentists, until they have proven that their stupid frat boy exchanges were just that- macho, immature young males- who made a huge mistake so they do not have to throw away 4 years of hard labour in medical school for some silly FB comments.

The woman says she was not consulted by the university’s administration before the restorative justice decision was made.

"I’m frustrated. It’s unacceptable. It’s not representative," she said.

Her father, whose identity CBC News has also agreed to protect, is also upset.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.2877922

i see
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Lakevixen you make me laugh with your biased posting. In this thread you are out for blood for some FB postings. Yet in another thread where there were threats to kill you say "no problem" he was harmless. He has a weapon approaching and threatening someone, but again no problem. He even physically assaulted someone and you still say no problem. Do you think it's time you check your priorities or is it okay because of who you personally like or dislike.

I believe these young men were wrong, but I don't think their lives should be ruined because of it. If they start to attempt to carry out some of the ideas they should be nailed to the wall. Till then a good reprimand should be enough.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think what they posted was f'd up and add to that the extra creep factor is that these guys would normally have access to drugs to help them carry things out.
I think they're guilty of being social idiots and doing the same shock value BS classes before them may have done. In no way do I believe that any of these students are future criminals.

I don't think they should be booted out but the University should work harder to make it clear that this garbage won't be tolerated and then the next batch of students should be booted who display this behaviour.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Smurf wrote:Lakevixen you make me laugh with your biased posting. In this thread you are out for blood for some FB postings. Yet in another thread where there were threats to kill you say "no problem" he was harmless. He has a weapon approaching and threatening someone, but again no problem. He even physically assaulted someone and you still say no problem. Do you think it's time you check your priorities or is it okay because of who you personally like or dislike.

I believe these young men were wrong, but I don't think their lives should be ruined because of it. If they start to attempt to carry out some of the ideas they should be nailed to the wall. Till then a good reprimand should be enough.

yup 10/10
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I believe these young men were wrong, but I don't think their lives should be ruined because of it. If they start to attempt to carry out some of the ideas they should be nailed to the wall. Till then a good reprimand should be enough
then its to late ,
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I believe these young men were wrong, but I don't think their lives should be ruined because of it. If they start to attempt to carry out some of the ideas they should be nailed to the wall. Till then a good reprimand should be enough
lakevixen wrote:then its to late ,

So now we punish people for talking about doing something. If that was the case we would all be in jail.

They are definitely guilty of being stupid though and should receive some sort of punishment.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i never said jail , kicked out of the course is what i would do
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Late for what???

They're not dogs.

This is just a protest for the sake of protest, makes no sense.
But don't worry the students will probably get tossed anything to kill this story. Doesn't make it right.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

lakevixen wrote:i never said jail , kicked out of the course is what i would do

True to your form, you go right for the throat when something/someone does or says something that you find offensive. Yet in countless posts on these threads, you have supported people clearly breaking the law.....as long as their actions align with your vision. Some would call that being a hypocrite.
These bozo dentistry students clearly crossed an acceptable societal line and should be made to answer for it. Booting them out of Dentistry however is a rather extreme consequence for their testosterone fueled brain farts. Why is "penalize" the first solution when all that might be required is some simple guidance in a different direction? I think a far more appropriate solution would be some sincere apologies, some gender sensitivity counselling, and each of the directly affected ladies being able to dictate 50hrs of free dental work from each of the FB offenders to the charity or society of the ladies choice. I think those hours spent at a homeless shelter or women's shelter would be a far better form of justice with the consequence of creating some far more compassionate and understanding Dentists.

ETA- Or we could kick them out of school as you suggest, and possibly create some very resentful woman haters.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

While I don't usually agree with Lakevixen on pretty well anything, I have read all that I could about the postings of *some* of these men. Some of them have exhibited the arrogant attitude of a stereotypical self-entitled rich little frat boy from Animal House or any such movie, where they believed they can say and do anything without consequences. The one or two of those that I read quotes from should, in my opinion, get expelled as they have no business being in a respected profession that espouses professional, moral, and ethical standards.
Whether they should all have the same same punishment is not something I could comment on but at the very least, the worst should get the toss as this goes beyond what is acceptable. The fact that they not only do not recognize it, but actually spit in the face of it, is even more staggering.
You and 71 others Like this post
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Just invite those guys out for a drink at a bar when the female UFC are having a convention.

Return to “Canada”