Target stores are closing!

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: Target stores are closing!

Post by Symbonite »

I love it..makes it look like Candians is a bunch of Whiners.

First we were complaining that Target was taking a bit of time to actually get into Canada and setup (revamping zellers buildings)

Then we started to whine about when they did open the store the prices are not the same as down in the US (like no duh...Walmart in the states has different stuff and cheaper prices too...just the way it is.) and there is another topic right there.

Then we whined there was not enough stock...

Now we are whining that Target cant even get the liquidation right and doing only 30% off....remember whatever they dont sell just gets put on the shelves down in the states.......
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Target didn't fail miserably in Canada because Canadians are whiners. They failed all on their own whereas other store have had good success.

A huge missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I think its great they're pulling out never set foot in the place now we just need to send wallmart packing to.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

To me they were just a Wal-Mart clone, another massive collection of cheaply manufactured/cheaply priced products. Not surprised that they didn't make it, what sort of future is there in trying to be just like a business most Canadians despise (but shop there anyways)?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

As a Canadian Consumer ... I like Walmart, I have no problem with them. I do a lot of shopping for household items, toiletries, etc. there. They even have some awesome (and low priced) T-Shirts. They have a great selection and very competitive prices. I don't see why I should go to another store and pay $3.99 instead of $1.99 for a tube of toothpaste.

And that's where Target failed, while they still offered the same tube of toothpaste, it wasn't any cheaper and in many cases not as cheap as Walmart or Superstore. Canada has a very small population, our consumerism can't support multiple business that offer the same product without giving us something new to make us want to spend our Loonie there.

It always interests me, how people are quick to point the finger at Walmart for providing minimum wage jobs, "forcing" smaller Mom and Pop shops to close their doors but the same people happily support the likes of Canadian Tire, Kmart, Zellers and the bunch ... it's not different.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bottom line,people are getting poorer and poorer and wallmart will get busier and busier
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:bottom line,people are getting poorer and poorer and wallmart will get busier and busier

And your point is? It's Walmart's fault that people are poor? I'm quite well off myself, one of the reasons I am well off is because I choose to spend $1.99 instead of $3.99 for a tube of toothpaste. So in fact, Walmart has made me richer. Thanks Walmart :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

thats not my point at all,all i am saying is wallmart is going nowear-
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:thats not my point at all,all i am saying is wallmart is going nowear-

And why should they? They have a great business model. They've succeeded where other's have failed.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i never said they should
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'm also looking for "The Money Pit",

Why.

In God's name, WHY?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Tacklewasher wrote:
Why.

In God's name, WHY?

You need to ask?

Kinda fitting ... that "The Money Pit" came up in a discussion about Target Canada ... also a Money Pit LOL ;)
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Check out Amazon
http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=movies+%22The+money+pit%22&rh=n%3A917972%2Ck%3Amovies+%22The+money+pit%22 they have a dvd "Tom Hanks comedy selection" that includes the Money Pit for $4.99

I went into Target 3 times, bought one clearance item (baby gift) before they started liquidating. Their prices were too high, for what they offered.
I haven't failed until I quit.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Dizzy1 wrote:
It always interests me, how people are quick to point the finger at Walmart for providing minimum wage jobs, "forcing" smaller Mom and Pop shops to close their doors but the same people happily support the likes of Canadian Tire, Kmart, Zellers and the bunch ... it's not different.

Message for all > Where ever you decide to show your patronage , try your best to buy Canadian made goods.
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Dizzy1 wrote:And your point is? It's Walmart's fault that people are poor? I'm quite well off myself, one of the reasons I am well off is because I choose to spend $1.99 instead of $3.99 for a tube of toothpaste. So in fact, Walmart has made me richer. Thanks Walmart :)

Not everyone is so blind. I would challenge you to see what Walmarts have done to other communities across north america. They slowly eat away like a cancer in our cities. They kill Ma and Pa stores, they provide some of the worst jobs available in Canada and the profits they make get taken straight out of our country. Walmart now plans to add 29 new supercenters across Canada this year. If you want to see what happens when Walmart comes to town, look no further than all the American cities that have been crushed by them. Housing prices drop, competition drops, good jobs leave town and you're left with a hollow shell of what that city used to be.

But I'm glad 'well off' people like you can get your chinese toothpaste for $1.99. Instead of supporting Canadians and providing good jobs you'd rather support Americans and Chinese people who are behind what Walmart is all about. The info is all out there, you merely need to look for it. I have a feeling you'd rather just ignore the truth and keep buying your toothpaste for $1.99. Thanks for nothing.

Return to “Canada”