Sony Canada closing all 14 Canadian stores

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Sony Canada closing all 14 Canadian stores

Post by oneh2obabe »

Struggling with weak TV and mobile sales, Sony says it will close all 14 of its stores across the country over the next six to eight weeks.

“We will redirect all of this business through our national network of Sony retailers, our online store . . . as well as through our Sony-trained Telesales team,” the company said in a statement after informing employees in an internal memo.

“Our network of Sony authorized retailers offer a full range of Sony products and will be supported by our in-store merchandisers and product trainers on an ongoing basis in order to ensure that our past customers have continued access to knowledgeable sales consultants,” the statement said.

A spokesman declined to comment on the number of affected employees.

Sony made the announcement on the day U.S.-based Target announced its withdrawal from Canada and the closure of all 133 Canadian stores.

Along with Target and Sony, other international companies departing Canada include fashion retailer Mexx, which is liquidating 95 stores by the end of February and Sears Holding Corp., whose plan to sell most of its stake in its Canadian unit has triggered deep job losses across the country.

Sony Corp. is struggling to turn around operations and could be open to options including sales and joint ventures for its money-losing TV and mobile phone operations, company officials told reporters at a trade show last week.

Sony forecasts a $2.3 billion (U.S.) net loss for the business year to March and will suspend dividend payments for the first time after deep smartphone losses.

Last year Sony sold its Vaio personal computer business and spun off its TV operations, cutting 5,000 jobs.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/01 ... anada.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Sony Canada closing all 14 Canadian stores

Post by jimmy4321 »

I always like Sony but their stand alone stores seemed quite pricey. Surprised it took so long
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I've never understood the Sony stores. Does Sony actually have that big of a fanbase or market share to justify a brand specific store?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It never made sense to me either. People aren't that brand loyal anymore with electronics, they want to see comparisons when making big ticket purchases.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

At one time Sony was the it electronics. As a kid you had to have a walkman, then later on digital camera & TV's.

The competition caught up quickly and has passed them by in the dust.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

The Sony Store was a showroom concept store, basically.

People aren't that brand loyal anymore with electronics

Much like a Apple store and their fanbase, Sony had their fanbase. They were quite the empire.

The store also offered very personalized service and support. Support being huge. Very brand specific product knowledge about Sony products and their features that you wouldn't get at a big box store. You paid a little more but you had your hand caressed and held the entire life of the product. Sort of old fashioned thinking considering the marketplace now of complete disconnection.

Lots of closings this month. Target, Sony, Mexx, Jacobs, Holt Renfrew and I believe more.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:Much like a Apple store and their fanbase, Sony had their fanbase. They were quite the empire.

I'm sure that Sony has their fanbase, but is it really big enough (compared to Apple) to justify their own store. I mean, I simply don't see people lining up a week in advance for the latest Xperia or Vaio.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

At one time OPM had a Sony Store. First time I looked in they had one of the very first flat screen TV of course the price was crazy at near 20 grand.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:At one time OPM had a Sony Store

Isn't that where the "Apple" store is now?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Maybe I've not been in OPM in few years.

Added: that wrong I was invite by friend for coffee at Tim's. lol
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The only 2 Sony products I can recall buying in my life are my PS3 and a small P&S camera that I don't even have anymore. Not that I have anything against Sony, its just, at least for me, that none of their products (other than the PS3 and 4) wow me. I've been looking at the the Alpha Camera's from Sony, but they're not dazzling me despite the reviews I've read.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Dizzy1 wrote:I'm sure that Sony has their fanbase, but is it really big enough (compared to Apple) to justify their own store. I mean, I simply don't see people lining up a week in advance for the latest Xperia or Vaio.

Sony was a empire. They owned CRT TV's, home audio and VCR's straight through the 1980/90's. The camcorder/betacam and walkman were like iPods and iPhones.

They were the Apple of their day.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Yep Atomoa, then all of sudden they just stood still while the competition left them in the dust.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Atomoa wrote:They were the Apple of their day.

So what happened? Other than the Playstation ... what of their products does anyone talk about? Seriously, how many people do you know own an iPhone or Samsung and then how many people do you know who own a Sony phone?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

They still have some great tvs UltrHd . What put them in their place is stiff competition

Return to “Canada”