Sun TV News

Post by jimmy4321 »

To be no more according to CBC starting tomorrow
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... -1.2955664
Mike6921
Fledgling

Re: Sun TV News

Post by Mike6921 »

Not surprising considering their owner (PKP) wants to become Prime Minister of the Independent Country of Quebec.
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by TimmyE »

jimmy4321 wrote:To be no more according to CBC starting tomorrow
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/s ... -1.2955664

It's no wonder. Their station is located in the stratosphere (channel 177) compared to the other Canadian news channels.
opinion2015
Fledgling

Post by opinion2015 »

Fox News minor league team folds. Ezra Levant is no Bill O'Reilly. Didn't watch it- won't miss it!
Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.
Hubert H. Humphrey
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

Not enough viewers .. who wants to watch the equivalent of " The National Enquirer " on tv ?

"Very few Canadians watch Sun News Network. A look at the BBM Canada overnight, estimated ratings for [Wednesday, Dec. 28], showed that their highest rated show was The Source with Ezra Levant at 10 p.m. with 38,000 viewers across Canada. ByLine with Brian Lilley at 9 pulled 35,000. Only 5,000 and 6,000 of those viewers were between 25 and 54, across Canada. There are more people, on any given night, in a mall in Toronto," says Brioux.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/watching-sun-news-185104860.html
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lmao bout time the lying idiots got booted off tv
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's nice to see that Canadians do not support this type of propaganda.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

David Suzuki must be sad to her this news.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Glacier wrote:David Suzuki must be sad to her this news.

yea im sure he is sad a racist news show is going off the air lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmOxVjzPUc#t=130
Four white Sun TV panelists explain white privilege to guy who isn't white
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Who needs SUN "news" when the PM spends millions of our tax dollars making "his own news channel".

Some videos have over 50 views!

https://www.youtube.com/user/pmocpm/videos
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I was on Twitter, past midnight, reading some of the things people were saying about the network’s demise. There was a lot of gloating and awful stuff being said.

I slept for four hours, then got up to watch the network disappear. They showed a promo for Pat Bolland’s show, and then that was it. The screen in my bedroom went black at exactly 5 a.m. I stared at it for a while, and tried to formulate what I wanted to say.

It’s not you who I want to say it to, former Sun News Network folks. It’s to those people on Twitter, last night and this morning, the ones who were gleefully celebrating the end of Sun News.

They’re celebrating, I guess, because they disagreed with the opinions that were found on Sun News. They didn’t like conservative opinions being broadcast, so they think it’s funny that 200 people have lost their jobs. I find that completely insane, for two reasons.

Firstly, folks, I disagreed with those conservatives, too. Plenty. On sex ed, on CBC, on abortion, on niqabs, on social programs, on climate change, on Islam, on gay marriage, on Liberals and liberals, on just about anything you can imagine: I would regularly appear on Sun News Network to argue with those conservatives, face-to-face, on-camera. I would argue, aggressively, against the conservative point of view.

And, over almost four years, a funny thing happened: they kept inviting me back. They asked me to come on much more than my day job would permit, in fact. And they were professional and courteous and fair to me. Only once did they try and shut me down – here – but multiple Sun folks called me afterwards to apologize, and to say that it would never happen again. It didn’t.

That’s the first thing: if you disagree with someone’s opinion, debate them. Present evidence. Argue with facts. Be passionate. Because that’s what Sun News Network gave me an opportunity to do, over and over, for four years.

Here’s the second thing: in case you haven’t noticed, our traditional news media are dying.

There are all kinds of reasons for that: the Internet, Google and Facebook and Craigslist, bad business decisions, whatever. We can debate the causes ad nauseum. But the fact is that the media, as we knew it, is disappearing.

Bloggers and social media mavens will celebrate the mainstream media’s demise, too. But they shouldn’t. Because bloggers and tweeters don’t generate actual news – they just comment on it. They offer opinions on someone else’s work. Someone else’s journalism.

When that journalism disappears, mark my words: our democracy will be diminished, and possibly even in peril. I’m not exaggerating. There is nothing that keeps the powerful in check – not Question Period, not a public opinion poll, not even the police – as effectively as journalists do. I’ve worked on both sides, and I know, I’ve seen it: every time a newspaper dies – every time a TV network dies – the powerful grow more so. You may think that’s okay, but I sure don’t. They are not always benign in the way they exercise power.

Anyway. Those are the two things I wanted to say, this bitterly-cold Friday the Thirteenth: if you disagree with someone, debate them. Don’t let out a cheer when they lose their job, and their ability to pay the rent and feed their kids. Because one day, in this economy, you’re probably going to lose your job, too. And it would be pretty *bleep* for someone to find that funny, on that day, wouldn’t it?

Remember this, too: every news reporter – every news editor, every news producer, every news technician – is a crucial part of a flourishing democracy. And when we lose them, our democracy loses. The Sun News Network ones, too.

And I guess there’s a third thing I wanted to say: Kory – and Matt and Dennis and others – put together an actual national news network, and they had some good folks there. I may have vociferously disagreed with the opinions they expressed – and you may have, too – but I am so, so sorry that they have lost their jobs, at 5 a.m. this morning. I will miss many of them.

So, don’t celebrate them losing their jobs. Don’t be indifferent to the effect it will have on our democracy. Because if you do, you’re just being an *bleep*.

Anyway. Back to work. I’m lucky to still have a job – and if you’ve got one, you should be, too.

Sincerely,

Warren

- See more at: http://warrenkinsella.com/2015/02/dear- ... WxpMy.dpuf
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Never even heard of Sun TV LOL!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Glacier wrote:
So, don’t celebrate them losing their jobs. Don’t be indifferent to the effect it will have on our democracy. Because if you do, you’re just being an *bleep*.

clap clap clap 10/10

Sums up a lot of posters on Castanet who have cried since Day 1 about Sun News. I never watched it, as I didn't get it on my TV dial, but as one poster said "It's nice to see that Canadians do not support this type of propaganda" - the only difference between the CBC and Sun News "propaganda" in my opinion was a billion dollars of taxpayer cash per year funding to the CBC, and mandatory CRTC law that CBC HAS to be offered on basic cable.
Not afraid to say "It".
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think Sun only got $500m in public subsidies
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

There, now isn't that tidier with all the off-topic remarks removed.

Return to “Canada”