Canada and immigration

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Canada and immigration

Post by Smurf »

What Wilfred Laurier thought of the immigrants wanting to become Canadians in 1907.

«First of all we must insist that the immigrant that comes here is willing to become a Canadian and is willing to assimilate our ways, he should be treated on equal grounds and it would be shameful to discriminate against such a person for reasons of their beliefs or the place of birth or origin. But it is the responsibility of that person to become a Canadian in all aspects of life, nothing else but a Canadian. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says that he is a Canadian, but tries to impose his customs and habits upon us, is not a Canadian. We have room for only one flag, the Canadian flag. There is room for only two languages here, English and French. And we have room for loyalty, but only one, loyalty to the Canadian people. We won't accept anyone, I'm saying anyone, who will try to impose his religion or his customs on us.»

I cannot find anything that truly links this to Sir Wilfred other than the article (unknown author) that I read it in. Either way I like the ideas that are in it. I have no problem with anyone coming to Canada and believing in who they are. After my family being here for centuries, I still assimilate with and let it be known I am of Scottish decent and proud of it. However first and foremost I am Canadian. I do celebrate Scottish history when I get a chance. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I also see nothing wrong with trying to change things for the good of all. But it must be done properly. No one should come to Canada, keep dual citizenship, spend as much or more time in their old country and try to change Canada to be like it. No one should try to change our laws to suit themselves or another country or belief. For example people trying to have Sharia law accepted in Canada. It is not part of Canada and we don't want it in Canada, or at least I don't. We have our own Canadian laws. If people come to Canada they should come here to become Canadians, under our laws and beliefs. Laws are made to be changed, but it must be done properly.

How do others feel about this. Do you want it changed to be something else? Do you want it to stay similar to the Canada we have come to love and enjoy? Do you want people to be able to look at it and say that is where I want to live in the manner that Canadians do?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Canada and immigration

Post by Bsuds »

Exactly, and if they can't agree to that or break the law before they become a citizen then it's an "immediate" deportation back where they came from!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct on all counts smurf
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

«First of all we must insist that the immigrant that comes here is willing to become a Canadian and is willing to assimilate our ways, he should be treated on equal grounds and it would be shameful to discriminate against such a person for reasons of their beliefs or the place of birth or origin. But it is the responsibility of that person to become a Canadian in all aspects of life, nothing else but a Canadian. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says that he is a Canadian, but tries to impose his customs and habits upon us, is not a Canadian. We have room for only one flag, the Canadian flag. There is room for only two languages here, English . And we have room for loyalty, but only one, loyalty to the Canadian people. We won't accept anyone, I'm saying anyone, who will try to impose his religion or his customs on us.»

could have never said it any better myself EOS
Last edited by wanderingman on Feb 22nd, 2015, 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I noticed you changed my quote from Sir Wilfred Wanderingman. Not that I don't agree with you, but it is not what was said in the original. Please show it when you do such things because I don't want my supposed quote from someone else to quoted wrong. It is not mine or yours to change.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Geode

Post by Geode »

Canada has a problem with over foreignization. Vancouver is a poster child.

Immigrants that come to Canada should have something to contribute to our nation - not just take, take, take - like buying up real estate, or taking up valuable seats in our medical schools, and then giving nothing back to Canada. Foreign ownership of real estate in Vancouver has driven up the price so much, that most college graduates can not even dream of being able to afford owning a house. And we have a shortage of doctors, and we have these foreigners taking up seats, and they go back and practice medicine in their countries.

Buying real estate in Vancouver, and then renting out the properties does nothing to create jobs. The category of immigrant - immigrant investor - should not apply to residential properties, and if they purchase a business, that they have a condition they create jobs for Canadians.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

100% correct,well said
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Geode wrote:Canada has a problem with over foreignization. Vancouver is a poster child.

Immigrants that come to Canada should have something to contribute to our nation - not just take, take, take - like buying up real estate, or taking up valuable seats in our medical schools, and then giving nothing back to Canada. Foreign ownership of real estate in Vancouver has driven up the price so much, that most college graduates can not even dream of being able to afford owning a house. And we have a shortage of doctors, and we have these foreigners taking up seats, and they go back and practice medicine in their countries.

Buying real estate in Vancouver, and then renting out the properties does nothing to create jobs. The category of immigrant - immigrant investor - should not apply to residential properties, and if they purchase a business, that they have a condition they create jobs for Canadians.

I don't disagree with the property ownership, but that is the result of capitalism.

The part with the international university students, that's to be pinned on the universities themselves. They actually charge a premium for international students (considerably more than domestic students), so they do have an incentive to accept more international students. Important to note, though, that the revenue that they generate from international students does help them avoid significant tuition increases for domestic students.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Geode

Post by Geode »

FreeRights wrote:I don't disagree with the property ownership, but that is the result of capitalism.

The part with the international university students, that's to be pinned on the universities themselves. They actually charge a premium for international students (considerably more than domestic students), so they do have an incentive to accept more international students. Important to note, though, that the revenue that they generate from international students does help them avoid significant tuition increases for domestic students.

I disagree. In quota faculties like Medicine, Law, Pharmacy, and dentistry - international students take away spots that a Canadian could have - raising the bar so high that most people that would aspire to be doctors simply cannot attain the necessary grades.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Geode wrote:- raising the bar so high that most people that would aspire to be doctors simply cannot attain the necessary grades.

Sorry but I would much rather have a Doctor who had good grades than one who didn't!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Canada”