Hijab dispute a flashpoint

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Hijab dispute a flashpoint

Post by steven lloyd »

the truth wrote:if this women is going to throw Canadian law in are face, ...
the truth wrote:like I said

like I said - she is breaking no law …
… but don’t let that stop you ;o)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

what about letting here son drive here car on a suspended licence, that's not breaking the law ???
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

the truth wrote:what about letting here son drive here car on a suspended licence, that's not breaking the law ???

??? And that has what to do with wearing a hijab ???

As charged against you in other threads, the intent of your posts seems not to be against the wearing of certain garb, but rather against people different than yourself from backgrounds and circumstances you don’t understand and seemingly have no interest in understanding. The resident jihadist apologists and terrorist sympathizers use similar deflection strategies by muddying those discussions with erroneous references to Israel and the evil USA. We don’t need to further fuel hatred to those living as our neighbors that identify themselves with the Muslim religion. There is a real enemy overseas that wants to spread its evil across the globe. We don’t need to create new hatred at home through ignorance and racism.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct, and you are doing the samething
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/02/23/Exploiting-Fear/

What the hell is the matter with us, anyway?

The prime minister of Canada goes out of his way to criticize the Federal Court of Canada because it permitted a woman to take the oath of citizenship while wearing a niqab, a veil. She made it clear that she would be glad to remove the niqab privately to confirm her identity. But Harper, whose government intends to appeal the court ruling, says covering one's face during a citizenship ceremony is "not how we do things here."

Harper has made this and his proposed anti-terrorism legislation, Bill C-51, into political issues, deliciously timed for a fall election.

I tell you frankly, up front, I think this is not only wrong, but also racist.

I realize those are strong words but I've given it a lot of thought and I can't think of anything else. Why on Earth would anybody, much less the prime minister, care what somebody else wears?

I have watched the letters to the editor and have seen statements such as "When I talk to my shopkeeper, I want to see her eyes," and "To me it's essential that I see the other person's face when I talk to them."

But, dear people, it is not illegal for a woman to wear a veil in Canada. If it's not illegal, how the devil can it be un-Canadian?

Pure racism timed for a fake war and conservative xenophobic roots.

It takes me back to 1993 when legions in British Columbia were refusing to allow Indo-Canadians to celebrate Remembrance Day in their precincts because they were wearing turbans, the excuse being that a turban is a hat and not to remove it in the "presence" of the Queen was unpatriotic.

Well then, I suppose that on the strength of the prime minister's declaration, we should now refuse to allow Indo-Canadians to take the oath for citizenship unless they take their turbans off.

Where the devil does this stop!

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/the-niqab-gambit/

Meanwhile, the Conservative government continues to remind Canadians of the dangerous world beyond, and within, this country’s borders. Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander sent out a note to supporters criticizing the Federal Court for its stance on the niqab. He also noted his government’s intention to appeal the decision “allowing people to wear the hijab,” thus, knowingly or not, conflating the niqab and the hijab, two very different articles of clothing. (The term hijab is widely used to describe a head scarf that doesn’t cover the face.) A stock picture of a woman wearing a niqab appeared on the Conservatives’ website last week, before being taken down.

And it took just over a week into his tenure as Canada’s new defence minister for Jason Kenney to proclaim the “high probability of future jihadist attacks from within”—a contention, coincidentally or not, that 62 per cent of Canadians believe, according to the Angus-Reid poll. (A bit of perspective: Canadian-born terrorists were responsible for the deaths of two people in 2014; in 2011, according to the most recent Statistics Canada data, 2,158 Canadians died in motor vehicle accidents.)
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

As charged against you in other threads, the intent of your posts seems not to be against the wearing of certain garb, but rather against people different than yourself from backgrounds and circumstances you don’t understand and seemingly have no interest in understanding. The resident jihadist apologists and terrorist sympathizers use similar deflection strategies by muddying those discussions with erroneous references to Israel and the evil USA. We don’t need to further fuel hatred to those living as our neighbors that identify themselves with the Muslim religion. There is a real enemy overseas that wants to spread its evil across the globe. We don’t need to create new hatred at home through ignorance and racism.
well said , in short its evident humans need more evolving
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 5th, 2015, 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 5th, 2015, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

*removed*
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Jx3 wrote: I'd prefer freedom from religion personally.
steven lloyd wrote:Lucky you - we already enjoy that freedom in Canada.
Jx3 wrote:If that were true we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

steven lloyd wrote:Hmmm, well I don’t know about you but no one was forcing me to go to church this last Sunday. Or to stop and pray at any time. In fact, I’d be very interested in hearing why you think you’re not free to not be religious. I have no problem declining.

I never mentioned the freedom to "not be religious". I said "freedom FROM religion", as in a society free of religion, as in no religion at all. Can you "Imagine"?
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Iam pretty much semi right conservative with a touch of liberal in me at times. I don't like what Quebec has done to Canada and I certainly don't like what our open immigration ideals has done to Canada in general
"BUT" this judge making/causing this kind of a scene in Traffic court to boot over a simple head scarf is ridiculous at best
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

wanderingman wrote:Iam pretty much semi right conservative with a touch of liberal in me at times. I don't like what Quebec has done to Canada and I certainly don't like what our open immigration ideals has done to Canada in general
"BUT" this judge making/causing this kind of a scene in Traffic court to boot over a simple head scarf is ridiculous at best

if she took off here -simple scarf- as you say, we would not be talking about this today, she used the whole sensitive muslim issue that is the buzz word these days and it worked,like the judge said ,she expects everyone to remove anyhead wear in here courtroom, i fail to see the problem here
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the truth wrote:again the hijab is not a religious headwear , there was no reason for here not to take it off.she objects to our customs but of course not the benefits we offer are citizens. no where in the quran does it state that women must couver there faces.so the objection is not religious,its personal

like i said

Return to “Canada”