Public swearing now banned in Alberta.

ValB58
Banned

Public swearing now banned in Alberta.

Post by ValB58 »

Taber, Alta., bans public swearing, spitting and yelling under new bylaw 'I’m not saying this thing is perfect, but I think we should give it a chance,' mayor says CBC News Posted: Mar 10, 2015 10:57 AM MT Last Updated: Mar 10, 2015 3:51 PM MT It is now illegal to use foul language while out in public in Taber after council passed a bylaw outlawing swearing in the small Alberta town. The first offence would cost $150, while a second offence could set you back $250 — and that goes for yelling or screaming in public as well. "I’m in support,” Mayor Henk De Vlieger told the Lethbridge Herald. "I’m not saying this thing is perfect, but I think we should give it a chance and try it out, and let the police work with it. After a period of time, we might make some adjustments, but let's see how it works." That's not the only new rule turning heads in Taber, a town of 8,100 located 250 kilometres southeast of Calgary . The bylaw also includes a $75 fine for spitting in public and a curfew on kids and teenagers from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. MT daily. It was adopted by Taber town council late last month and was recommended by the police commission and Taber Police Service. A ban on spitting is common in many municipalities in the province, and it's also not unusual for small towns in Alberta to implement a curfew for young people. Calgary's Community Standards Bylaw, for instance, addresses loud noises. "No person shall make or cause or allow to be made or continued any noise which disturbs or annoys a person, including any loud outcry, clamour, shouting, movement, music or activity," states the bylaw. Calgary Transit also hands out tickets for profanity on public transportation. Assembly ban 'unconstitutional' But the bylaw also grants power to peace officers to break up assemblies of three or more people — and that is raising some eyebrows. "No person shall be a member of the assembly of three or more persons in any public place where a peace officer has reasonable grounds to believe the assembly will disturb the peace of the neighbourhood, and any such person shall disperse as requested by a peace officer," states the bylaw. It's that part of the bylaw that has University of Calgary political science instructor Lisa Lambert fuming. "Constitutionally this is egregious. That's the only way to say it," she said. "Under the Charter of Rights we have the freedom to speak, the freedom to assemble, we have freedom of religion. And all of these freedoms are under attack when bylaws like this are put in place." The Lethbridge Defence Bar says it will consider taking on any case that arises from the bylaw. "You will be given a free consultation and, depending on the circumstances of your infraction, will be the representative defendant in a trial to find the Community Standards Bylaw unconstitutional," says a notice issued to residents in Taber. Those who receive a ticket are encouraged to contact them at 403¬317¬1944.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/t ... -1.2988992
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Public Swearing now BANNED in Alberta.

Post by Captain Awesome »

Oh, f*** that.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The title of this thread makes it sound as if all of Alberta, not just little town of 8,100 residents.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

GordonH wrote:The title of this thread makes it sound as if all of Alberta, not just little town of 8,100 residents.

Alberta or 0.195% the population of Alberta, same diff.

I'm going to gather some of my 15 year old buddies for a late night bake sale and tell council to f*** off.
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Calgary also hands out tickets for swearing on public transit. How long before they expand that rule? How long before smoking in public also becomes banned?
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

what an utter waste of taxpayer funds....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

ValB58 wrote:How long before smoking in public also becomes banned?

You say that like it would be a bad thing. LOL Butt (spelled wrong on purpose) that would be another topic for another thread.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Personally I think farting in public should be banned.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

They have re-invented the wheel in Taber:

From the Criminal Code
Causing disturbance, indecent exhibition, loitering, etc.

175. (1) Every one who
(a) not being in a dwelling-house, causes a disturbance in or near a public place,
(i) by fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing or using insulting or obscene language,
(ii) by being drunk, or
(iii) by impeding or molesting other persons,
(b) openly exposes or exhibits an indecent exhibition in a public place,
(c) loiters in a public place and in any way obstructs persons who are in that place, or
(d) disturbs the peace and quiet of the occupants of a dwelling-house by discharging firearms or by other disorderly conduct in a public place or who, not being an occupant of a dwelling-house comprised in a particular building or structure, disturbs the peace and quiet of the occupants of a dwelling-house comprised in the building or structure by discharging firearms or by other disorderly conduct in any part of a building or structure to which, at the time of such conduct, the occupants of two or more dwelling-houses comprised in the building or structure have access as of right or by invitation, express or implied,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

They've just paralleled the Criminal Code with a bylaw that allows for it to be dealt with with a ticket instead of tying up the Criminal Court system or just letting them go with no charges.

I've yet to see a successful constitutional challenge to Causing a Disturbance.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

KL3-Something wrote:I've yet to see a successful constitutional challenge to Causing a Disturbance.

I can understand that, who would see the right to be an ignorant, foul-mouthed bonehead as something worth fighting for ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I can see a successful challenge to a curfew.
As for profanity, imo that's pretty subjective.
What's profane to some may not be to others.
As far as I'm concerned, I'll say what I want.
Trying to curtail public behaviour with inane laws just causes resent toward authority.
#@*% that, and the #@*%&(= horse it rode in on.
I rely on profanity to compensate for my poor vocabulary.
The only place I don't cuss is on Castanet. Jo's law trumps bylaws and the CC of C.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

canada=police state
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I read a number of articles on this and found no mention of just why Taber town council felt this was necessary. I did note however, that a couple of articles described Taber as "in the heart of Alberta's bible belt" which does lead one to wonder if the driving force behind this attempt to regulate public behavior comes from the righteous right. Or is it that public behavior there is just so bad there that something had to be done ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

dg3 wrote:canada=police state

Then go live somewhere else.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Sounds like all is well in Taber and council was BORED. If anything they should be criticized for reinventing the wheel like mentioned earlier.

Return to “Canada”