Good riddance TFWs

I am Canadian
Banned

Good riddance TFWs

Post by I am Canadian »

70,000 more jobs for CANADIANS, mostly in BC & Alberta.

Thousands of temporary foreign workers will see their permits expire on Wednesday [April 1st], and they'll have to leave the country.

In 2011, the federal government changed the rules — giving temporary foreign workers in low-skilled jobs the option to apply to become permanent residents or leave the country after their permits expire.

The government has not revealed how many people will have to leave by the April 1 deadline, but some advocacy groups estimate it could be as many as 70,000 countrywide.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.3017194

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Good riddance TFWs, dont let the door hit you on yur way

Post by Merry »

While I can see an argument for TFWs in places like Fort Mac where they (used) to have a hard time getting workers for the lower paying jobs such as Timmy's, when I watched the news last night and heard about how some TFWs have been here for as long as 6 years, I have to wonder where the "temporary part comes in"?

IMO anything longer than a year can hardly be considered "temporary".

If Canada feels it needs these workers, why the heck don't we make them come in as Landed Immigrants the way other folks do? It seems to me that for some, the TFW program has simply become a way to queue jump.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

While I think the subject heading for this topic is harsh I understand the concerns of Canadians who already live here and are looking for work.

A program many people see unaware of is the International Mobility Program (IMP) which seems to have gone under the radar.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/ ... y/open.asp
Under the International Mobility program, an open work permit enables a person to seek and accept employment and to work for any employer for a specified period of time. An open permit may, however, restrict the occupation or location. Dec. 22, 2014

http://www.visaserveblog.com/2014/09/ca ... -imp.shtml
A new addition to the TFWP is the International Mobility Program (IMP). This program allows foreign nationals to be LMIA-exempt. The IMP's primary objective is to advance Canada's broad economic and cultural national interest. As a result, this program is not based on filling particular jobs or meeting employer demands. Rather, this program encompasses multilateral/bilateral agreements with other countries (e.g. NAFTA, GATS).

I had heard estimates of 200,000 people coming into Canada under this program but have been unable to find that stat again.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

I guess this defines the difference between TFWP and IMP
https://www.crownrelo.com/intl/es-es/ar ... 2014-part2

Effective immediately, the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) will now refer to only those streams under which foreign workers enter Canada at the request of employers following approval through a new Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), formerly Labour Market Opinion (LMO). Employment and Social Development Canada will be the lead department for the TFWP.

The International Mobility Programs (IMP) will include those streams in which foreign nationals are not subject to an LMIA. These include work permit application processes under reciprocal free-trade agreements, as well as intra-company transfer applications. This program is mainly for high-wage, highly-skilled jobs. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is the lead department for the IMP.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Booohooo!!! were Canadians shamed by hard working less demanding people? They should be fast tracked to become citizens.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Merry wrote:IMO anything longer than a year can hardly be considered "temporary".

If Canada feels it needs these workers, why the heck don't we make them come in as Landed Immigrants the way other folks do? It seems to me that for some, the TFW program has simply become a way to queue jump.

An excellent question.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

This whole TFW became joke and a scam. 20$ says these workers were mislead by the recruitment centers, thinking they could stay in Canada for good.
Meanwhile the Honorable Degenerate Harper told everyone "Don't worry they are only here temporarily" to avoid backlash from Canadians.
Last edited by goalie on Apr 1st, 2015, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Merry wrote:While I can see an argument for TFWs in places like Fort Mac where they (used) to have a hard time getting workers for the lower paying jobs such as Timmy's, when I watched the news last night and heard about how some TFWs have been here for as long as 6 years, I have to wonder where the "temporary part comes in"?

IMO anything longer than a year can hardly be considered "temporary".

There are more than enough Canadians on UI and social assistance to cover those jobs. Even some senior citizens that could use the work to help with their lack of pension.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Follow the money

Post by bob vernon »

Follow the money. But of course the trail would be all outside Canada, so you can't follow it.

Canada isn't the only country that brings in workers to work temporarily. It was very common in Hong Kong in the days when it was a British colony, and it is still widespread in Thailand. Maids, cooks, and servants in general would be allowed into those places from the Philippine Islands. There were job recruiters in the Philippines who would pay off immigration officials in Hong Kong and Thailand to get their recruits into the country instead of some other recruits. It was common and everyone was aware of it. A job in Immigration was a corrupt gold mine. I wonder if something similar has been going on in Ottawa. But of course, any payments would have been made into a Swiss or Bahamian bank account, where even Interpol couldn't reveal any corruption.

Canada has, or had, at the maximum about 350,000 TFWs in the country at any one time. At even a few dollars per day skimmed off each worker's wages, a total of a few million dollars per DAY could be generated and put into a corrupt bank account, or accounts. Hundreds of millions per year might have been taken by the recruiters back home and split with corrupt Canadian officials who had the power of approval or rejection of temporary foreign workers. Of course nothing can be proven, but if you set up a situation where corruption can develop, don't be surprised if corruption develops. But we're Canadians, and we wouldn't do anything like that. Would we?
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

"Temporary Foreign Worker". Their slogan was "Come permanently, work temporarily"
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

Why has castanet deleted this story?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

We have experience with TFW on our farm. The process is extremely expensive and the workers themselves are wonderful, extremely dedicated and very hard working. We have tried for years to offer work to locals in Kelowna but have yet to find anyone who comes close to having the skills and experience our TFWs have. They are simply super people and are grateful to have the chance to come to Canada. Some of them are applying for the Landed Immigrant status but that is very expensive too. Even with us sponsoring them it takes years of waiting and considerable funds and we have no idea if they will be accepted or not. We have found that this is a great way for people in other countries to experience living and working in our country, resulting in many wanting to immigrate. From our perspective and personal experience these people are not taking jobs away from any Canadian...people in Kelowna don't want to do this type of manual work. While we aren't fruit growers we know it used to be that local kids grew up taking on summer jobs picking fruit to earn some extra money. The fruit industry also had young people from Quebec come during the harvest seasons. Don't see that much any more. Young people (and adult unemployed people) today don't seem all that keen to do farm work. We pay a good wage and provide many extras for our workers. Other than indigenous Canadians the founders of our country came from abroad. If we could find locals (and believe me we have tried) to work for us we would...they just either aren't interested or don't have the skills. For the workers who we are helping through the Immigrant sponsorship process we feel we are helping them to have a chance at a better life. To "I am Canadian" who posted this topic...I find your subject title "Good riddance TFWs, dont let the door hit you on yur way out" offensive. I wonder how many TFW you have actually sat down and talked to one on one. These folks have enriched our lives on all levels. and we are proud to have been given the opportunity to be part of their lives. Every single one of them that we have met, either working for us or at other farms/businesses, are wonderful people trying to make their way through life.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Barney Google wrote:Young people (and adult unemployed people) today don't seem all that keen to do farm work. We pay a good wage and provide many extras for our workers.

That's great to hear from somebody who is actually involved with TFWs as opposed to merely speculating.

Where do TFW's come from in your case? Mexico? South America?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

haha speculating on what?

Return to “Canada”