Good riddance TFWs

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Good riddance TFWs

Post by flamingfingers »

I must have something going for me because I've had the same employer for over two decades now, and his biggest worry is what happens when I retire. He's tried a few young pups and let's just say he wasn't impressed, nor the clients, when it meant I had to go out and do everything over.

Then your employer is making a mistake in not having you mentor these 'young pups'. How can he expect a 'young pup' to measure up to someone who has two decades of experience? Bad management move.
Chill
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

Maybe they should also review the qualifications of the hiring manager who hires lazy & inneficient people, LOL *sarcasm*
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I am Canadian wrote:Maybe they should also review the qualifications of the hiring manager who hires lazy & inneficient people, LOL *sarcasm*

I would venture to guess there is no 'hiring manager' - a competent 'hiring manager' would be able to determine work ethic from a well conducted interview. My guess is that the first warm body with a pulse that shows up on the cattle call is hired by the 'boss' and thrown into the job. Stage set for failure. As far as the 'boss' in one scenario who was hauling 3 boxes while new hire was only hauling 1 - should have taken new hire aside and made expectations clear. Very clear. (Probably should have explained that up front and been able to screen that one out even before getting him on the job site.)
Chill
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

I totally agree with you flamingfingers. At least they were probably speaking English, now Imagine the boss trying to explain that to someone who speaks Mexican.

usted y yo levanto cajas si usted puede seguirme a conseguir el trabajo
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I'm not about to post personal information here about my business or otherwise. I can not imagine anyone being that stupid. People either can choose to believe what I have posted previously or not. Totally up to the readers. Anyone can claim anything they want here. I have no reason to speak untruthfully. Just sharing my experiences and thoughts. There are other folks here who have knowledge and experience paying farm workers who make GREAT money. Why is that so hard or impossible for you to believe? I don't think these people are lying. What would be the point?

I have stated before that our work is very specialized and there is no one in the Okanagan looking for employment that has the experience doing that kind of specialized work. If there were, we have all the connections, and those people would be working for us or one of our colleagues. The Mexican TFWs we hire have the precise specialized skills we need - they've spent YEARS doing the same work in the US. We have hired locals to work for us in the past and invested a huge amount in our workers training them and giving them experience. Those people had great work ethic and really cared about what they were doing for and with us. Some of them stayed with us for years and years. Others moved on to get more experience in other fields or continued on at other farms. Even with those locals that stayed with us for quite some time could not measure up to the diverse experience level our current TFW Mexicans have.

I cannot comment on 4x4s experiences of being worked into the ground and experiencing less than favorable work conditions. I can comment though on the speculation that all TFWs are worked to death and' treated like slaves'. NOT ON OUR WATCH!!! I saw that in the US and would not stand for it there...I sure as Hell wouldn't do that to anyone that worked for us. EVER!!! I do not mean any disrespect 4x4 but I can't understand why you've been doing the same farm work for years and still can not make more than minimum wage. Surely with your experience and a good work ethic you would have "moved up the ladder" and been rewarded with a wage increase and been given supervisory duties too.

My previous comments on some, NOT ALL, local young people (and some adults) being unable to do the simplest of tasks...like sweeping the floor pretty much sums up some of the experiences we've had. There are a lot of young people (and some adults) who seem to have a HUGE sense of entitlement these days. They want BIG 'rewards' for little effort.
Should your employer get excited because you get to work on time? How about complete a job in a timely fashion without being asked to go back repeatedly? How about acting like you WANT to be working instead of coming across like you can't wait to get the hell outta here - watching the clock the whole time? And yes, how about staying off of your cellphone when you're at work cause I know you're not talking to ME or any of the other workers here.

We're not the only employers we know who have expressed these same feelings about some people in the local work force . We've got a few connections in the food industry here in Kelowna and many of them say the same thing. We also know a successful construction contractor that uses TFWs on his job sites. He says the same things. He has also told us that he doesn't like having his TFWs working on the same crews as his Canadian workers because he says they will 'pick up bad habits from the Canadian'. Maybe it is generational, I don't know for sure, I know how we were raised...and we raised our kids to have the same standards. It's frustrating when you have to teach someone to(and this is just one example) sweep the floor...like REALLY?

I will have to look but I'm not sure I said Canadians were 'lazy'. I think I said some of them seem to lack good work ethic or know what it's like to WORK and there appears to be a lack of pride in doing a job well. If I said, 'lazy' I apologize for that.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I am Canadian wrote:Maybe they should also review the qualifications of the hiring manager who hires lazy & inneficient people, LOL *sarcasm*

Perhaps. Or perhaps the manager thought he'll give a kid a chance. Or perhaps some people interview really well, but are still far from good workers. Or perhaps he was someone's cousin. At the end of the day, the mistake was made but corrected half an hour into the work shift. No big deal.

Who knows, may be it was a lesson for this guy, and he's smartened up and makes an honest living now. Or may be he's still bitching at employers not paying him enough and immigrants taking his jobs. wage. For his sake, I hope it's the first one.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I am Canadian wrote:I totally agree with you flamingfingers. At least they were probably speaking English, now Imagine the boss trying to explain that to someone who speaks Mexican.

There are probably way more Mexicans who speak English than Canadians who speak Spanish.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I am Canadian wrote:I totally agree with you flamingfingers. At least they were probably speaking English, now Imagine the boss trying to explain that to someone who speaks Mexican.

WOW...obviously you have had no interaction with these workers. You know, I've always been very proud to be a Canadian because we are such a benevolent and welcoming people. When I see these kinds of comments it reminds me of a lot of ignorant American's I have had the displeasure of knowing. FYI - Mexican's speak Spanish.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Barney Google wrote: When I see these kinds of comments it reminds me of a lot of ignorant American's I have had the displeasure of knowing. FYI - Mexican's speak Spanish.

Bigots are everywhere!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

In a past life I've had to work with mexicans, I well know they speak Espanol.

They would do a great job when the boss was there, but as soon as he would walk away they would stop working and sleep for hours under their f***ing trees while *I* the young and lazy Canadian kid, was working my *bleep* off.
Ford4x4Truck
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ford4x4Truck »

Barney Google wrote:
I cannot comment on 4x4s experiences of being worked into the ground and experiencing less than favorable work conditions. I can comment though on the speculation that all TFWs are worked to death and' treated like slaves'. NOT ON OUR WATCH!!! I saw that in the US and would not stand for it there...I sure as Hell wouldn't do that to anyone that worked for us. EVER!!! I do not mean any disrespect 4x4 but I can't understand why you've been doing the same farm work for years and still can not make more than minimum wage. Surely with your experience and a good work ethic you would have "moved up the ladder" and been rewarded with a wage increase and been given supervisory duties too.

My previous comments on some, NOT ALL, local young people (and some adults) being unable to do the simplest of tasks...like sweeping the floor pretty much sums up some of the experiences we've had. There are a lot of young people (and some adults) who seem to have a HUGE sense of entitlement these days. They want BIG 'rewards' for little effort.
Should your employer get excited because you get to work on time? How about complete a job in a timely fashion without being asked to go back repeatedly? How about acting like you WANT to be working instead of coming across like you can't wait to get the hell outta here - watching the clock the whole time? And yes, how about staying off of your cellphone when you're at work cause I know you're not talking to ME or any of the other workers here.

I can only say that this notion of moving up the ladder seems to be a complete pipe-dream in the Okanagan. People can work their *bleep* off and get nowhere. None of the farms I worked at ever gave me a raise nor have any businesses in the food industry. I was told that if I received a raise I would be making more than the other workers and it wouldn't be fair. And before people start in with all the lazy comments, just save them. I've heard that insult enough for a lifetime.

These people who you claim want BIG rewards for little effort - I hear this all the time. In my experience, these people are actually really hard workers and are simply expecting to receive more than minimum wage. If this isn't the case here I apologize, but I've just seen it so many times with myself as well as others.

Employers just seem to think their feet should kissed for offering a wage of any kind. It doesn't matter if it's the lowest wage legally possible - people are supposed to thank their lucky stars they get to receive a welfare wage.

And obviously I can't post the names of businesses here, but I have definitely witnessed first-hand foreign workers here working around 14-15 hour days (6-7 days a week). I know because sometimes I'd drive past at like 7-8pm and they were still working. Granted, there could have been some sort of break in there but for some reason I doubt it. If the Canadian workers weren't even receiving full 30-minute lunch breaks half the time then I kind of doubt the foreign workers would have long dinner breaks or something.

Some of them would even get injured but never tell the managers because they were so desperate to work. I specifically remember noticing an injury one time (wrenched arm or something), subsequently being told about it by the worker, and then telling a manager. I only told the manager out of concern for the foreign worker's well-being, and the response was something like "they work through the pain." I still remember very well because it seemed like such a half-assed response....

There was also one instance where the Canadian workers were allowed to bring free baskets of flowers home because there were extra ones made. We were actually told.....and I mean literally told to not mention the free gifts to the foreign workers.

If there's anything defamation or libel worthy here, then any mod feel free to delete it. I just wanted to share some of my experiences but if I'm wrong in anything I don't want a business to suffer.

Barney - at first you seemed to be mentioning general farm labour (you mentioned simple menial tasks) - now you've switched your tune and are talking about specialized farm jobs. I'm not even sure what you mean but I'd still love to see a link to one of your job ads. I find it extremely hard to believe that a high-paying job in the Okanagan would go almost completely ignored. Basically anyone I know would jump at the chance to make more than minimum wage here and go through any required hoops to do so.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Employers just seem to think their feet should kissed for offering a wage of any kind. It doesn't matter if it's the lowest wage legally possible - people are supposed to thank their lucky stars they get to receive a welfare wage.

And the general public supports this by saying "You're LUCKY to have a JOB!"

And drive everyone else down to the lowest common denominator - a 'Right to Work' law...

Yep, a right to work for less, and less...
Chill
Ford4x4Truck
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ford4x4Truck »

And the general public supports this by saying "You're LUCKY to have a JOB!"

And drive everyone else down to the lowest common denominator - a 'Right to Work' law...

Yep, a right to work for less, and less...

I know....

Another popular one seems to be "if you're not happy with your wage then work somewhere else."

Like yeah OK, I'll just quit and go to the next business in line that also pays minimum wage. Oh wait, I can't because the other business wants 3+ years of experience just to get minimum wage. And of course if anyone asks for more than minimum they're entitled.....
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Barney - at first you seemed to be mentioning general farm labour (you mentioned simple menial tasks) - now you've switched your tune and are talking about specialized farm jobs. I'm not even sure what you mean but I'd still love to see a link to one of your job ads. I find it extremely hard to believe that a high-paying job in the Okanagan would go almost completely ignored. Basically anyone I know would jump at the chance to make more than minimum wage here and go through any required hoops to do so.[/quote]

You're right 4x4...I did mention general farm labour. I wasn't going into specifically about what our specific needs are. I'm talking about our experiences having to teach people who to sweep, clean, rake...should a person need 'training time' to learn to do those things at my expense? It's frustrating to hear you have had all these terrible experiences in the local working Industry. We don't treat people like that and we sure don't like hearing about it. Yes, young Canadians should be given the chance to make a living. We've hired many of you. Again, I am not going to post any personal information here. You can either choose to hear my side and weather you believe it or not is your choice. Our job postings are not ignored...they are responded to and those that respond do not have the experience or skills we are seeking. At times we wonder why people are responding when they have virtually none of the posted requirements. We do though reply to every single person that applies to us and thank them wholeheartedly for applying.

Sadly, from what you have shared there are far too many TFW who aren't being treated justly. That's so upsetting to hear because we, stupidly I guess, believed that it would be better here for them than in the US.

No need to apologize 4x4...we've worked some pretty *bleep* jobs in our time for no recognition or even the occasional bone thrown our way. There are lots of dynamics and many view points - trying to be respectful to everyone. It's frustrating from both ends. 4x4...sounds like you are one hell of an employee...wishing you the bestest of best luck that someone , one day, recognizes that and scoops you up!
- Unknown
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I must have something going for me because I've had the same employer for over two decades now, and his biggest worry is what happens when I retire. He's tried a few young pups and let's just say he wasn't impressed, nor the clients, when it meant I had to go out and do everything over.

flamingfingers wrote:Then your employer is making a mistake in not having you mentor these 'young pups'. How can he expect a 'young pup' to measure up to someone who has two decades of experience? Bad management move.

Or they lied about their qualifications given that they presented themselves as experienced!!!!!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"

Return to “Canada”