It really wasn't a dream

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

It really wasn't a dream

Post by maryjane48 »

SASKATOON - A commissioner on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission wants mandatory education about residential schools for students across Canada.

Marie Wilson was in Saskatoon last week to speak about the legacy the commission will leave behind when it wraps up with closing events in Ottawa at the end of May.

Wilson says she hopes the commission will inspire jurisdictions across Canada to include residential school history as a required course to graduate high school.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/04/05 ... ref=canada

great idea , one must learn the good with the bad
I am Canadian
Banned

Re: It really wasn't a dream

Post by I am Canadian »

We already were learning that in high school as part of the History program, grade 10, Natives and orphans being sent to Cathilic schools and priests abusing & molesting them under the care of the Provincial Govt, but to make it a required course to graduate high school? no thank you... Anyways, the Federal should mind their own business, education management belongs to the Provinces.

The surviving kids recently were given millions of dollars, as the result of a class action lawsuit they won.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I am wondering what this form of education will do to enhance the ability of young people to live in todays changing society.
Possibly they should rethink this and go to the root. Why were these schools made and why was it of the opinion of some to believe it was necessary to replace these children.

What has changed today? No more school, but foster homes and foster hotels as we recently saw in Manitoba.

My line of thought is consider why there is a need for these schools of the day, why is there a need for foster homes today?

Maybe it would be much more beneficial to look at the root cause. Is it family, is it parenting skills or is it something we just do not know as we are not born to the culture.

It might be more beneficial to tech a course on Family, respect and morals which apply to all human beings. Tech forgiveness, acceptance and how to live with other cultures. Having the same goal might be more real then teaching about the days when the Aboriginals, the Chinese, the Ukrainians or what ever ethnic group was wronged.

Fix the problem, if you continue to pick at a wound it will never heel but make positive change to our youth and maybe our world will be a better place for all to live together.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

http://www.trc.ca/websites/trcinstitution/index.php?p=5

For those like myself who have never heard of the "Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada".

Interesting, website.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Ken7 wrote:I am wondering what this form of education will do to enhance the ability of young people to live in todays changing society.
Possibly they should rethink this and go to the root. Why were these schools made and why was it of the opinion of some to believe it was necessary to replace these children.

What has changed today? No more school, but foster homes and foster hotels as we recently saw in Manitoba.

My line of thought is consider why there is a need for these schools of the day, why is there a need for foster homes today?

Maybe it would be much more beneficial to look at the root cause. Is it family, is it parenting skills or is it something we just do not know as we are not born to the culture.

It might be more beneficial to tech a course on Family, respect and morals which apply to all human beings. Tech forgiveness, acceptance and how to live with other cultures. Having the same goal might be more real then teaching about the days when the Aboriginals, the Chinese, the Ukrainians or what ever ethnic group was wronged.

Fix the problem, if you continue to pick at a wound it will never heel but make positive change to our youth and maybe our world will be a better place for all to live together.

Here is a quote from Marie Wilson from the link Lakevixen posted:

"Education was the tool that was used to assimilate and Christianize and otherwise diminish and damage all of these generations. It was also the tool that was used ... mindlessly, to keep the whole rest of the community ill-informed and ignorant," Wilson said.

"We need to teach an honest history that includes the history of the indigenous peoples of Canada, whose homeland it is, and that the history of this American continent didn't begin with the arrival of the Europeans."

A brief bio of Ms Wilson is in the link you provided.

That quote answers your questions in red.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

well i agree that a honest history should be taught , i never knew much of this in school , i learned way after what had actually happened , and im still finding things out here and there
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

the truth wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/may/20/irish-catholic-schools-child-abuse-claims
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Cath ... by_country
these sob's did it all over the world not just here in canada

Are you aware of what this topic is about?? Maybe not...oh well.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

yes I am,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

It looked pretty much right on the topic to me. Sometimes the truth hurts.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

correct bob
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

If we don't acknowledge history, we are doomed to repeat it. Or words to that effect.

This is a good thing. When *bleep* stuff happens, it can't be allowed to be swept under the carpet.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Canada”