Employment Insurance in Canada: Hitting Rock Bottom

I am Canadian
Banned

Employment Insurance in Canada: Hitting Rock Bottom

Post by I am Canadian »

Well done video explaining Harper's cuts in the IE program. Unfortunately, last year I had to fill an IE application and I waited over 9 weeks before receiving a first payment and I was told by one call centre agent I was lucky because they are so late in processing their applications that most people wait even longer than that. Ah well.

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Employment Insurance in Canada: Hitting Rock Bottom

Post by bob vernon »

Far better to use this money to continue the subsidy to big oil corporations and to cut the taxes on the big banks, which have been going on for years with Steve. Helping the poor? The poor vote in very low numbers and don't have the cash to donate to the party. And Steve can claim to be a Christian and go to his fundamentalist church on Sunday?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I've never been able to collect it. I did once attend the Gov office here. Their system is so screwed up I got to the point of being frustrated to where I almost punched the screen.

When I tried to get assistance I learned their system was acting up. I'm certain they do that so the average person say to hell with it and does not apply.

I still feel there needs to be changes. I think if every working person had to put a minimum of 1 year wages into the fund and then you stopped paying it could be more effective. When you become unemployed you can then draw off it, if you utilize 50% then you build it back up once you find a new job / career.

Why I feel like this is a number of occupations it is Government Fraud. They collect money from you fully knowing you will never be laid off. Once again the career employee gets taxed over!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

You used to be able to get fired and still collect EI?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I used the program for the first time outside of maternity leave last winter. I received my benefits within 3 weeks of applying and had no issues. I found the application process to be pretty straight forward.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Some changes are for the better.
If you quit your job you should NOT be able to receive EI, although I bet if these people went to the labour board they could BS a story to make it happen.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:You used to be able to get fired and still collect EI?

If the circumstances around your "firing" are suspect (the boss didnt want to pay you anymore so suddenly you become a bad employee and are let go). This is still the case.

I didn't sleep with my bosses daughter, so she told her dad that I was stealing. I was promptly "fired" with no proof, no questions. Given I was a just teenager working through school with a very tight budget I explored options and EI was available. You just have to write a letter as to what happened and EI decides if you were legit fired or not.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Apr 26th, 2015, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You're on thin ice. stop with the personal attacks now.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Captain Awesome wrote:You used to be able to get fired and still collect EI?
and then spend the summer at the beach
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

jimmy4321 wrote:Some changes are for the better.
If you quit your job you should NOT be able to receive EI, although I bet if these people went to the labour board they could BS a story to make it happen.

Yeah , working in constant danger with a real threat to your life is far better than quitting that job.. Better to die for a paycheck than to starve for your life ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

I heard people used to be able to leave the country and go on cruises and meico beaches while on IE. Now, you leave Canada between M-F while collecting it and when you re-enter the customs will give the info to the IE and you will lose your benefits.

A long time ago I used to volunteer to be a lab rat and a lot of people were on IE while doing it. You get sequestered for 3-4 days, you pass go and collect $1,500 non-deductible on top of your IE cheque. Not bad at all eh.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

If you quit your job you should NOT be able to receive EI
even if you are harassed?

Return to “Canada”