Getting rid of the Queen. Now the time?

Should Canada get rid of the Queen when she expires?

Yes
38%
No
57%
Queen... like Freddy Mercury?
5%

Total votes: 21

I am Canadian
Banned

Re: Getting rid of the Queen. Now the time?

Post by I am Canadian »

Y'all may now cast your vote
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Keep the monarchy as a part of our history and tradition. It doesn't cost us near as much as the financial abuses and blatant wastage we see everyday by politicians... cases in point: Senators Puffy and Wallowing!!!! Personally, I don't understand the motivation of those who seem so fervent in their lobby to get rid of the monarchy. The males in the royal family do their military service and both Harry and William have had no trouble "sticking their necks out" for their country... there are an awful lot of commoners who have opted not to serve; they do a lot of work for charitable and humanitarian causes, and the value of their leadership and the influence of their voices in support of these worthy endeavors is hard to deny. Are the people who are so against the monarchy driven by the negative sentiment that these people are born into wealth and privilege? Is it a bit of the If I can't have it, why should they mentality? Does dumping the monarchy mean we ought to also opt out of our participation with and membership as a "commonwealth nation"?
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 8th, 2015, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

It's high time that Canada got our own royalty. I think that we could slowly evolve into this situation over a couple of decades. Let's appoint our current Prime Minister as King and let him fill both roles for a few years and then when he chooses to retire, he could continue on as king. And his family would then become the line of our royalty.

Royalty all over the world reached the throne in an often violent manner. In Canada we would do it in a peaceful manner by allowing the best Prime Minister we've produced to become king. Even those who don't like Steve would come to appreciate our royal family in a generation or two. It would also allow us to replace the Queen of England on our money and postage stamps with our own King.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

The monarchy... another one of those issues where there are two opposing opinions, neither of which is right or wrong.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Danielson99 wrote:Destroying? You mean kinda like what the British did hundreds of years ago when they spread their disease all over this world? Getting rid of our ties to Britain have nothing to do with destroying anything but everything to do with being uniquely Canadian. If you want to talk about destroying, start talking about what the British did to native Indians in Canada and the USA. What about all the South Africans that were murdered by the British? What about India, Cyprus, Iraqi's in the 1920's, the Irish, the Kenyans?

If we had any respect at all for this world we would have nothing to do with the sadistic history the British have made us a part of. No nation in the history of the modern world has done more to hurt this world and it's people than the British. If you don't know that...I beg you to start reading history books.

I don't care who you call a minority and who you call a whiner...I'm just speaking for myself and what I see happening in this world. I feel ashamed to be connected in even a small way with the tyranny we call Britain. It's time for us to be Canadian, in our own way.

I guess thats what Britannia said about the Roman Empire...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Oh and fitting enough. We wouldn't have the Long weekend this weekend being that is Victoria Day is on Monday.

Just saying...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Rwede wrote:Let's get rid of the Assembly of First Nations.

Let's get rid of National Chief Perry Bellegarde.

Let's get rid of Grand Chief Stewart Phillip.

Let's get rid of WFN Chief Louie.

Are you in favour of that? Or are you in favour of allowing people to choose their own figureheads whether you support them or not?

We are not part of the First Nations, it's like comparing an apple to an orange. Perhaps the First Nations people would be able to answer your questions better.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Symbonite wrote:Oh and fitting enough. We wouldn't have the Long weekend this weekend being that is Victoria Day is on Monday.

Just saying...

You're right, we would have had our own holiday in May that had nothing to do with the 'Royal' family. It would have been more reflective of Canadian people and tradition and had far more meaning.

30 Million people have a holiday this weekend and basically nobody cares what it's about....because it has nothing to do with our people or our country. Most people don't even know what this weekend is meant to celebrate....they just drink, go camping and party because it's fun to let loose and not have to go to work on Monday.
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

I thought we were celebrating the foundation of the Capital of BC, Victoria. Dammit.
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

The only queen elizabeth I like and fall for:

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ That City was named after same reason for long weekend, Queen Victoria.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I can't wait until King Chas. and Queen Camilla take over the throne. The epitome of leadership and role models for the youth of the Commonwealth.

Return to “Canada”