Insulting Police Online Banned By Granby, Que., Bylaw

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Insulting Police Online Banned By Granby, Que., Bylaw

Post by maryjane48 »

Insulting a police officer or municipal official on the internet has been made illegal in the town of Granby, Que., after the council voted unanimously tonight in favour of beefing up an already controversial bylaw.

In Granby — a town situated about 80 kilometres east of Montreal — it was already illegal to insult a police officer and other municipal officials​. Offenders could face fines ranging from $100 to as high as $1,000.

Tonight, the town council strengthened that bylaw to include online insults.

"In my opinion, if I threaten you via my keyboard, it's as though I am making that threat right in front of you.… For me, it's the same thing," said Robert Riel, Granby's deputy mayor.

The move comes after town officials discovered a Facebook page called Les policiers zélé de Granby — The Zealous Police of Granby.

Riel said the town of Granby is the first in Quebec to have such a bylaw that extends to the internet.

Attack on freedom of speech, critics say

Julius Grey, a constitutional lawyer, said the bylaw is an attack on freedom of speech.

"What you're going to be having is a trial of speech every time a municipal employee or a policemen considers himself insulted. I think this is absolutely terrible," Grey said.

"I don't think it'll stand up — I hope it doesn't stand up — to judicial review. I hope it gets struck as soon as someone is charged under it."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/05/05 ... 09682.html

well lets see all the freedom of speech advocates spew how much this violates their rights as canadians to talk freely :)
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Insulting Police Online Banned By Granby, Que., Bylaw

Post by FreeRights »

The article is confusing. I would want more clarification before truly deciding where I stand, but I'll demonstrate the confusion from the article provided.

Insulting a police officer or municipal official on the internet has been made illegal in the town of Granby, Que., after the council voted unanimously tonight in favour of beefing up an already controversial bylaw.

In Granby — a town situated about 80 kilometres east of Montreal — it was already illegal to insult a police officer and other municipal officials​. Offenders could face fines ranging from $100 to as high as $1,000.

"In my opinion, if I threaten you via my keyboard, it's as though I am making that threat right in front of you.… For me, it's the same thing," said Robert Riel, Granby's deputy mayor.

Now, if we're actually talking about threatening a police officer (or literally anybody for that matter), correct me if I'm wrong, but that's already illegal, online.

If we're legitimately talking about insulting a police officer (or anybody else), by definition, then I'm absolutely opposed to this.

There is a very clear difference between insulting and actually threatening, and the article is not specific of which they are referring to.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Rosieodonell
Fledgling

Post by Rosieodonell »

Not sure what your comments means? Are you against free speech or do you agree with the law. The law is ridiculous and shouldn't matter what profession, religion or economic class you are, I should have the right to criticize or make satire. If you take offense that's life and you will have to suck it up.

This law will be struck down so fast. Can't wait.

Also, the last poster is correct, threatening and insulting are two different things. One is already illegal.
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Rosieodonell wrote:Not sure what your comments means? Are you against free speech or do you agree with the law. The law is ridiculous and shouldn't matter what profession, religion or economic class you are, I should have the right to criticize or make satire. If you take offense that's life and you will have to suck it up.

This law will be struck down so fast. Can't wait.

Also, the last poster is correct, threatening and insulting are two different things. One is already illegal.

clearly im for free speech , but i find it odd to make a law saying you cant criticize the police online . yes threats of harm are already covered but thats not what this is about
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Should be titled "Quebecers Idle hands makes for Flakey Laws"

Is this all they have to do, is everything solved in Granby?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

lakevixen wrote: clearly im for free speech , but i find it odd to make a law saying you cant criticize the police online . yes threats of harm are already covered but thats not what this is about

I would agree with you. If this law covers insulting/criticizing or whatever, it's absolutely a breach of freedom of speech and should be utterly shot down.

If it's about direct threats, that law should already apply...
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Return to “Canada”