Happy Patriot's Day, Canada!

I am Canadian
Banned

Happy Patriot's Day, Canada!

Post by I am Canadian »

My forefathers fought for their freedom, let's join over 8 millions other Canadians and let's celebrate Liberty & Democracy! ... or you can always wish happy berthday to Q. Victoria if you prefer.

Any interesting activities for the upcoming long weekend?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Happy PATRIOTS Day, Canada!

Post by oneh2obabe »

Or you can call it Victoria Day which is a Canadian statutory holiday EXCEPT in Quebec where it's called National Patriotes Day.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

Yes, but a reminder: Both Ontario and Quebec rebelled against the Crown, and the 1837-1838 rebellion led to the creation of Canada, our Nation.

More info on wikipedia:

The Rebellions of 1837 were two armed uprisings that took place in Lower and Upper Canada in 1837 and 1838. Both rebellions were motivated by frustrations with political reform. A key shared goal was responsible government, which was eventually achieved in the incidents' aftermath. The rebellions led directly to Lord Durham's Report on the Affairs of British North America and to The British North America Act, 1840 which partially reformed the British provinces into a unitary system and eventually led to the British North America Act 1867 which created Canada and its government.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

I will join with the other 22 million or so other Canadians and celebrate Victoria Day.
Tony
Übergod

Re: Happy Patriot's Day, Canada!

Post by Tony »

I may not be 100% on my Canadian History, but I don't remember there ever being a war between Canada and England, so I'm not sure what your forefathers fighting for their freedom has to do with this, the celebration of the Queens Birthday. I believe we became a country on July 1 1867, but remained a part of the Commonwealth, which means the Royal Family still has a place in our culture. It' Victoria Day as it's named after Queen Victoria, and was originally celebrated on May 24 of every year.
Following the death of Queen Victoria in 1901, May 24 was made by law to be known as Victoria Day,[3][1] a date to remember the late queen, who was deemed the "Mother of Confederation",[6] and, in 1904, the same date was by imperial decree made Empire Day throughout the British Empire.[1] Over the ensuing decades, the official date in Canada of the reigning sovereign's birthday changed through various royal proclamations until the haphazard format was abandoned in 1952. That year, both Empire Day and Victoria Day were, by order-in-council and statutory amendment, respectively, moved to the Monday before May 25 and the monarch's official birthday in Canada was by regular viceregal proclamations made to fall on this same date every year between 1953 and January 31, 1957,[3][7] when the link was made permanent by royal proclamation.[3][8]

Quebec opted to take the name of Patriot's Day ....

In Quebec, the same day was unofficially known as Fête de Dollard from the Quiet Revolution until 2003, when provincial legislation officially created National Patriots' Day on the same date as Victoria Day.

So if you'd like to celebrate Patriot's Day, you'll have to head to Quebec.
I am Canadian
Banned

Re: Happy Patriot's Day, Canada!

Post by I am Canadian »

Suggestions of activities for the weekend:

-Knox Mountain Race
-Rutland May Days
-Peachland Car Show

Return to “Canada”