Facebook Page Sparks Police Investigation

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Facebook Page Sparks Police Investigation

Post by maryjane48 »

Thunder Bay Police are investigating a series of Facebook pages that have been widely criticized as racist and offensive to First Nations.

Police say they were alerted by city officials about a Facebook page called “Thunder Bay Dirty.” The page posts photos mainly of aboriginal people on the streets.

“The remarks are derogatory and extremely offensive,” the Thunder Bay Police said in a statement.

“As a community, we cannot tolerate the use of social media to express extreme racism.”

But police say it’s unclear whether anyone will be charged in connection to the Facebook pages.

This comes after a wave of Facebook pages targeting First Nations people in Thunder Bay have cropped up, and police believe they were created by Thunder Bay residents. Photos featuring First Nations people are captioned with comments like "Garbage can is full at TD bank on Memorial Ave."
Atomoa
Guru

Re: Facebook Page Sparks Police Investigation

Post by Atomoa »

My Father lives in Thunder Bay.

The Ontario government has taken it upon themselves to close as many rural indian reservations as possible and ship the residents to - Thunder Bay. These reservations are from way up North. No roads or internet. These people do not have jobs or any experience living in a "city". Many of the teenagers that they ship to town do not even have parental guidance. Many of the adults have serious addiction problems. They plop them in Thunder Bay and give them a bus pass. Huge influx of people.

My parents are leaving the city because of this. There is not a single "outdoor park" where my parents can walk without being violently harassed for smokes, food or money. After a few near attacks my Dad now carries bear spray with him everywhere he goes in town. My step-mother had to stop running the bike paths because of the harassment. Every tree in every park has had the branches cut away at man height because of the congregations of natives drinking and huffing chemicals under trees/bushes in the city parks.

A friend who moved there for work (moved there with her two kids) left town after 6 months because her kids could not walk to school through "certain neighbourhoods" without being beaten and chased down the street "Get outta here whitey!". The kids are 8 and 10 years old. Around the FWCI school area.

This is not a "racist" thing from my perspective - this is a social situation. The Ontario government has turned Thunder Bay to a "depot" of sorts and the city has suffered because if it. The support is not there and neither is the infrastructure to handle the immigrations. When I lived in Thunder Bay in late 80's, native gangs were prevalent in high schools and riding the city bus was always a risk - you never know what drunk or drugged group of natives were going to "demand money or the clothes off your back" from a skinny little white kid like me. I thought that every high school had Native gangs and that having a cigarette buttted out on your head for being white was just something every Canadian kid had to deal with. I had to move away to realize that that is not a "normal" thing to happen. My Dad says it's gotten so much worse since I left and he strains not to be racist about it, but that's the situation currently.

I'm not surprised to see bigoted backlashes. It's flipping bad there.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yea i bet , and the cons ,right wingers , will learn the hardway
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

explain yourself what will they learn,that the natives can not be helped, unless they help themselves.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

x2
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Canada”