Prison Population 1/3 Aboriginal Woman.

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Prison Population 1/3 Aboriginal Woman.

Post by Ken7 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-b ... -1.3089050

Aboriginal women now make up one-third of Canadian female prison population.

The justice system lacks an understanding of the lives of indigenous women, Harvard said, adding that racism and poverty are the main factors in the number of aboriginal women in prison.

How can this be changed? Are Aboriginal woman also 1/3 of all missing woman in Canada of murdered?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Prison Population 1/3 Aboriginal Woman.

Post by rustled »

To a certain extent, people are products of their environments, repeating the behaviours that have been modelled for them. When I left the north, I was struck by the difference in the First Nations communities there and here. There, systemic alcoholism and the resulting childhood neglect were far more prevalent than here. (I don't know whether the local communities had struggled as badly with these problems in their past and found a way to get beyond it, or if it was always more of a problem in the north, but up there the communities I was familiar with were really struggling to get themselves turned around.)

I wonder, if you compared backgrounds among all prisoners, what results you would find. I suspect across all populations, we'd find more inmates had been living under impoverished conditions and expectations (emotionally more than financially). With so many First Nations communities becoming progressive without giving up an inch of pride in their cultural heritage and ancestry, one would think those stats will begin to change soon.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

rustled wrote:To a certain extent, people are products of their environments, repeating the behaviours that have been modelled for them. When I left the north, I was struck by the difference in the First Nations communities there and here. There, systemic alcoholism and the resulting childhood neglect were far more prevalent than here. (I don't know whether the local communities had struggled as badly with these problems in their past and found a way to get beyond it, or if it was always more of a problem in the north, but up there the communities I was familiar with were really struggling to get themselves turned around.)

I wonder, if you compared backgrounds among all prisoners, what results you would find. I suspect across all populations, we'd find more inmates had been living under impoverished conditions and expectations (emotionally more than financially). With so many First Nations communities becoming progressive without giving up an inch of pride in their cultural heritage and ancestry, one would think those stats will begin to change soon.

Some very valid points, although if you have it handed to you will you appreciate it? I just read a article where 300 Million dollars has built 99 homes for the Aboriginal communities in Canada. Not good, what is this showing us? They themselves are keeping their very own people living in poverty. If I was treated like a unwanted dog by my own people my self esteem wouldn't be so great either. Further if you have nothing to do on the reserve as you are not in the inner circle, who are you?? You too might have troubles living that life style, I know I would.

Sadly there is nothing the white man can do to change this, it is up to their people and I'm seeing no change by handing them large quantities of money.
Puddlejumper40
Board Meister

Post by Puddlejumper40 »

That's what happens on reserves. The government gives them money, the elders allocate where that money goes and a lot of the people are left with nothing. It's unfortunate, but it's also the elders that won't let go of the past. I'm not saying all elders and reserves are the same but with the widespread troubled youth out there, it certainly appears this way.

I have known educated natives who owned property off the reserve so they could live there during the work week and then went and lived on the reserve on the weekends. What does this tell you?

While I agree that they as a people are becoming more progressive without giving up an inch of pride in their cultural heritage and ancestry, they are also progressing nicely in the ways of our legal system. I feel you are going to see more and more disputes over land in the coming years and this will drive a wedge even further between the different people over and over...

I would like to know how elders and other "senior" members of their community view and treat addiction. Without programs for recovering addicts, programs to further education, their troubled youth/adults have no chance. When they have no chance, they end up on the streets, in jail...
Yours truly,

JollyJumper40 :)
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Puddlejumper40 wrote:
I would like to know how elders and other "senior" members of their community view and treat addiction. Without programs for recovering addicts, programs to further education, their troubled youth/adults have no chance. When they have no chance, they end up on the streets, in jail...

This is interesting. You never hear much about the opening of a treatment center or healing lodge other then on Federal property ( ie - Prisons).

This to me is sad, if you forget about your people and fail to help them what is the saying, "It takes a village to raise a child."

You can't make anyone change, you have to want the change. As you alluded to the community decides where the money is spent, I guess even treaties have little or no meaning when on reserve, but they sure tell you about them when sitting face to face with Government.

Maybe it's time to just say no!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Many years ago, I was a hockey coach in Alberta.

Ice time was hard to get in the city and one of the local reserves offered up their community arena in an effort to make some money and to lessen the pressure on the city rinks.

Remember, this is only my experience and not a condemnation of aboriginals in general.

The reserve was one of the most desolate and decayed communities I had ever seen and it was populated.

Houses with broken windows, doors hanging off hinges, junk everywhere and relatively new automobiles, mostly trucks broken down and abandoned.

It was humbling and sad to see but we used what had been offered. The arena itself was in far better condition than the rest of the community but we found out the hard way that we were not the only people who held keys to the locker rooms which had been assigned to us.

Theft was a problem but only until we got smart.

That experience, I am sad to say helped shape a less than favorable view of the native population in and around the city which was unwarranted and unnecessary but I was much younger and less tolerant.

I guess my point was in response to the post that talked about the differences between "up north" and down here when it came to the poverty levels witnessed by the poster.

This reserve and several others were in very close proximity to large urban cities so poverty amongst the aboriginal population is not exclusive to the nether regions of this vast country.

That was many years ago and my hope is that things have changed but my fear is that they haven't.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Sadly there is nothing the white man can do to change this,
yea there is though, even when folks like you do not want to admit it. the indian act is white man law . settle the treaties and repeal the indian act
Puddlejumper40
Board Meister

Post by Puddlejumper40 »

Sadly there is nothing the white man can do to change this,

lake vixen wrote:yea there is though, even when folks like you do not want to admit it. the indian act is white man law . settle the treaties and repeal the indian act

Please explain to us what would happen if the treaties were settled and the Indian act was repealed? What would the First Nations people do to help the less fortunate on their reserves? What about natives living off reserves, how do natives look upon them? How would they help them?
Yours truly,

JollyJumper40 :)
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lakevixen wrote: yea there is though, even when folks like you do not want to admit it. the indian act is white man law . settle the treaties and repeal the indian act

I have no trouble settling the treaties.

You're totally wrong painting me with your colored crayon. Sorry, but until their people start abiding by the treaties they signed, my opinion is why does the government let this happen???

The treaty does not say, divide the sum of money up as you wish, there are different agreements, such as shelter, education and health care.

These are no to be decided by the Chief and counsel and only to Family, and friends. Stop right there!

Apparently you are not informed on what goes on or you wish to wear blinders! There are some of us who are aware of what is happening and tired of seeing this occur!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I also know from a number of FN people that I am friends with that a high number of FN people themselves are not happy with what goes on, on reserves. They are sick and tired of chiefs and council stealing a large portion of the monies the reserves receive. The whole situation is a mess that needs cleaning up on both sides of the fence. But it is definitely not just up to government to clean up the mess. It will take both sides to be wanting to and willing to.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Smurf wrote:I also know from a number of FN people that I am friends with that a high number of FN people themselves are not happy with what goes on, on reserves. They are sick and tired of chiefs and council stealing a large portion of the monies the reserves receive. The whole situation is a mess that needs cleaning up on both sides of the fence. But it is definitely not just up to government to clean up the mess. It will take both sides to be wanting to and willing to.

I got a couple of lifelong native friends who've over the years pointed out the mess on their reserve in which the chief and inlaws have the upper scale homes with the toys and yet most of the homes on the reserve is looking pretty rough and many with the whole booze & drug thing. Though they can live there they choose not to and work far away as they hated having to constantly watch their possessions and have no time for the drama.
I can't understand and wish I could why so many can't just move on? it's so much better being in control. Many have and been quite successful.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Smurf wrote:I also know from a number of FN people that I am friends with that a high number of FN people themselves are not happy with what goes on, on reserves. They are sick and tired of chiefs and council stealing a large portion of the monies the reserves receive. The whole situation is a mess that needs cleaning up on both sides of the fence. But it is definitely not just up to government to clean up the mess. It will take both sides to be wanting to and willing to.

10/10 you got it, when i lived in slave lake years ago chief louis lived in a mansion with a rink in the back yard a marble entrance and a private jet,mean while the rest were just happy to get a new truck skidoo , And move out and go on welfare when they turned 18,mean while all his blood relatives were given all the high paying jobs-and thats a FACT
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
chicklo
Board Meister

Post by chicklo »

Ken7 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/aboriginal-women-now-make-up-one-third-of-canadian-female-prison-population-1.3089050

Aboriginal women now make up one-third of Canadian female prison population.

The justice system lacks an understanding of the lives of indigenous women, Harvard said, adding that racism and poverty are the main factors in the number of aboriginal women in prison.

How can this be changed? Are Aboriginal woman also 1/3 of all missing woman in Canada of murdered?

I think it's safe to say poverty plays a huge roll in why most ppl are in prison. 2/3 of women in prison are not aboriginal so maybe the focus should be on the other 66.666666% and what got them in there. i wonder about this stat though. Are these women full blooded natives or mixed? Going through Walmart I always see people whiter than me with a status card so if they were sent to jail would they count as an aboriginal or a white person? I wish everyone was just called a person though, that's the real solution here. Should t matter what color your skin is or when your family migrated here we should all be treated the same.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

10/10 you got it,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Maybe the parents could raise their kids properly.
If poverty were the overwhelming reason to commit crimes that send you to prison, we'd be all screwed.
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Jun 2nd, 2015, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canada”