Outrageous: Red Cross built 6 homes with $500M

I am Canadian
Banned

Outrageous: Red Cross built 6 homes with $500M

Post by I am Canadian »

Red Cross Raised $500 Million and Only Built Six Homes in Haiti

An in depth look into the American Red Cross’ help to rebuild Haiti following the devastating earthquake in 2010 has turned up some disturbing information.

“The group has publicly celebrated its work,” said ProPublica in its report. “But in fact, the Red Cross has repeatedly failed on the ground in Haiti. Confidential memos, emails from worried top officers, and accounts of a dozen frustrated and disappointed insider’s show the charity has broken promises, squandered donations, and made dubious claims of success.”

The Red Cross says it has provided homes to more than 130,000 people. But the actual number of permanent homes the group has built in all of Haiti: six. The report goes on to say that problems plaguing the Red Cross spread farther than just its failings in Haiti.

http://www.*bleep*.com/news/news/Wor ... s_in_Haiti

DISGUSTING. That's one of the many reasons why I don't give to those charities.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: OUTRAGEOUS & DISGUSTING: Red Cross built 6 homes with $5

Post by Fancy »

Lacking the expertise to mount its own projects, the Red Cross ended up giving much of the money to other groups to do the work. Those groups took out a piece of every dollar to cover overhead and management. Even on the projects done by others, the Red Cross had its own significant expenses – in one case, adding up to a third of the project’s budget.

In statements, the Red Cross cited the challenges all groups have faced in post-quake Haiti, including the country’s dysfunctional land title system.

https://www.propublica.org/article/how- ... lt-6-homes

Bad luck and poor management.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TimmyE
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Outrageous: Red Cross built 6 homes with $500M

Post by TimmyE »

That's why I don't like donating to these kind of charities. Yes, I'd like to help but I'm afraid most of my money will not make it to the people who need it. I think that's what they call administration.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Most charities are a big scam with executives getting huge salaries and little of the money going to the actual cause.
Last edited by Gixxer on Jun 5th, 2015, 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A friend of mine was living in Haiti for several years after the earthquake. The amount of corruption and dishonesty there makes any foreign project extremely vulnerable to extortion and massive cost overruns.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

The Charities are no better than the warlords that take that money and food at the local level in the zone.

These Are figures from 2010..so it will be up by now for sure.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le4352708/
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “Canada”