Visible Minority Winnipeg

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Visible Minority Winnipeg

Post by Ken7 »

Tarnishing us all

Much is said, and has been said, about prejudice, intolerance and discrimination against others for simply belonging to a certain identifiable group.

I am a member of the smallest visible minority group in Winnipeg. Most of my people are university educated and we are all gainfully employed. Less than 0.1% of us have ever been accused of, or convicted, of a criminal offence. Many of us have sacrificed our weekends, holidays and turned away more profitable opportunities elsewhere to serve others, even those that despise us, for the betterment of the community. And, like all human beings, we, too, are imperfect and fallible. Some of my people have been shot and stabbed for the way we look. Many of us have been beaten and spit upon because of our appearance. Many people call us criminals and gangsters because of the clothes we wear and the cars we drive.

When people (including the media) speak of, the real or perceived misconduct of one of ours, they often refer to us as "they" or "those people", as if to blame my brothers and sisters for the actions of a few. Their broad brushstroke seeks to tarnish us all. Yet despite the wounds we suffer, we often choose to turn the other cheek, with quiet dignity and self-respect. We soldier on with great pride and honour, while helping to cleanse the wounds of our enemies, despite their hatred and trespasses against us and others. But sometimes, we fight back, most times without much choice, but always with restraint and self-discipline. When we do, people call us murderers. If we had chosen to walk away, they would have called us cowards. And they all believe that they can do it better, having never walked a single step in our boots.

I am a member of the smallest visible minority group in Winnipeg. I am a police officer.

Miguel Carvalho

Winnipeg Police Service.

Found this letter to the editor in the Winnipeg Sun written by a member of the Winnipeg Police Service, and I thought it hit the nail right on the head:
rookie314
Übergod

Re: Visible Minority Winnipeg

Post by rookie314 »

As the news breaks from Edmonton, my thoughts are of you and your fellow officers. I, for one am forever greatful for your service and God Bless.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Well written Mr. Carvalho and oh so true. Many thanks to you and your fellow officers in Winnipeg and in all forces across Canada for a job well done.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

keep up the great work..
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Canada”