SCoC: Cannabis oil, fresh marijuana now available

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: SCoC: Cannabis oil, fresh marijuana now available

Post by oneh2obabe »

Easier to provide the link to the complete article.
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/me ... es-eng.php
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Donald G wrote:Adequate peer reviewed testing in Canada consists of;

Clinical trials of experimental drugs proceed through four phases:

In Phase I clinical trials, researchers test a new drug or treatment in a small group of people (20-80) for the first time to evaluate its safety, determine a safe dosage range, and identify side effects.

In Phase II clinical trials, the study drug or treatment is given to a larger group of people (100-300) to see if it is effective and to further evaluate its safety.

In Phase III studies, the study drug or treatment is given to large groups of people (1,000-3,000) to confirm its effectiveness, monitor side effects, compare it to commonly used treatments, and collect information that will allow the drug or treatment to be used safely.

In Phase IV studies are done after the drug or treatment has been marketed. These studies continue testing the study drug or treatment to collect information about their effect in various populations and any side effects associated with long-term use.

You've failed to cite sources. Try harder. And while you're at it, kindly point me to the clinical trials for licensed homeopathic remedies - since that's actually where this whole debate you've decided to enter into has come from.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To 36drew ...

I did not cite a source for the four steps in any drug test because they are as old as the hills and simply common knowledge to anyone who has ever read a post on drug testing in Canada. You could likely find many versions of the same information on the net today.

OneH20 has cited another one of them.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The important point is that the four step process has to be carried out before the drug can be considered a "medicine" for human use for a specific named purpose in Canada. Wth all known side effects identified to the user.

IMO, herbal medicine is a different story entirely.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Donald G wrote:The important point is that the four step process has to be carried out before the drug can be considered a "medicine" for human use for a specific named purpose in Canada. Wth all known side effects identified to the user.

IMO, herbal medicine is a different story entirely.

My initial comment was regarding "bonafide research" and your comment back was

Your comment that "There are, at least, volumes of bonafide research on cannibis." can not be substatiated because relatively few peer reviewed medical tests have actually been carried out.

Stop moving the goalposts, Donald.

I've already shown that there's been research. It may not meet your very specific definition of "clinical research within the borders of Canada" - but what I had stated and have thus backed up is that cannabis has indeed been studied under controlled settings.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

There have been some research but even most doctors say not enough to have anything conclusive. Anyone can go through most of the material available and cherry pick the stuff that backs their side of the argument, but from everything I have seen there is little that is actually conclusive enough to gain actual recognition in the medical profession in general. It still has a long way to go to actually be accepted for most things and along with it they are finding lots of problems, such as the harm to young brains. I would say there is very little proven that either side can scream success over.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Funny, you could ask doctors, or health canada pretty much anything you want with regards to cocaine, meth, heroin, crack, etc. and the studies would be pretty conclusive as to the positive ( if any) or negative effects. Yet, marijuana it is inconclusive - even though there are mountains of anecdotal evidence supporting it's benefits.

The sheer numbers of regular smokers for the past 50 years without a conclusive line drawn to the supposed harms that require our government to think they are needed to "protect" the constituents - this defies logic. the government has not commissioned the studies because they know the answers are not what they are looking for (and will make them look like fools for pushing their drug policy for so many decades.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Cornelious ...

There are loads of anecdotes available but, good or bad, that is not accepted as medical proof of the "value judgements" made in realion to each anecdote. With the exception of the small number of legitimate peer reviewed medical tests available to date marijuana is, at most, a herb that offers promise in terms of legal medical applications.

The one hour video (first video) posted by Gixxer gives a good cross section of where marijuana stands as an actual and potential medicine from a scientific standpoint.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Donald G wrote:To Cornelious ...

There are loads of anecdotes available but, good or bad, that is not accepted as medical proof of the "value judgements" made in realion to each anecdote. With the exception of the small number of legitimate peer reviewed medical tests available to date marijuana is, at most, a herb that offers promise in terms of legal medical applications.

The one hour video (first video) posted by Gixxer gives a good cross section of where marijuana stands as an actual and potential medicine from a scientific standpoint.

Look up almost any cold remedy - buckley's, dextromethorphan, Vicks vapour rub - all are approved and all claims are anecdotal- where is the outcry for medical proof?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Cornelious ...

There are no doubt "cold remedies" out there that have not undergone medical testing but, since all of the common ones have DIN numbers, they have been authorized for sale by Health Canada based on the information provided by the company applying to sell in Canada and whatever additional testing Health Canada may have undertaken on their own.

I imagine that there are thousands of herbal remedies that have not undergone medical testing.

The whole purpose of the "informed consent" approach to Marijuana by Canada (and many states) IMO is because of the lack of medical testing available to formally recognize all or parts of it as a prescription or over the counter "medicine". Except for those few that can be obtained on prescription.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Donald G wrote:To Cornelious ...

There are no doubt "cold remedies" out there that have not undergone medical testing but, since all of the common ones have DIN numbers, they have been authorized for sale by Health Canada based on the information provided by the company applying to sell in Canada and whatever additional testing Health Canada may have undertaken on their own.

I imagine that there are thousands of herbal remedies that have not undergone medical testing.

The whole purpose of the "informed consent" approach to Marijuana by Canada (and many states) IMO is because of the lack of medical testing available to formally recognize all or parts of it as a prescription or over the counter "medicine". Except for those few that can be obtained on prescription.

What an excellent system! Issue DIN numbers willy nilly based on information supplied by the companies applying but meanwhile try to continue to deem mj criminal and attach an unsubstantiated stigma along with it - justification in the lack of studies...... No double standards here.......
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Cornelious ...

I would say that THC is what sets marijuana apart from most of the other hundreds of NON MIND ALTERING over the counter and herbal remedies available today.

I would expect that without the THC and the seven drawbacks inherent in THC marijuana as a result of THC the world would not care about marijuana any more than any other plant that people might wish to ingest.

Being able to buy Hemp Hearts by the ton for human consumption is an example.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

there are no drawbacks medicaly and the thc is the medicine as much as cb are
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To lakevixen ...

I am afraid that the cumulation of information to date supports that there are six potentially medically harmful sides ond one criminally enabling side inherent in THC being ingested by humans. You are one of the very few people who still believe otherwise.

THC has a place in the recreational and medical use of mearijuana providing certain cautions are taken and restrictions followed.

Return to “Canada”