Queen Elizabeth II

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Urbane »

On Wednesday Queen Elizabeth will become Britain's (and of course Canada's) longest serving monarch. 63 years ago when she became Queen her weekly meeting with the prime minister was with Winston Churchill and it's remarkable how many prime ministers have come and gone since. Whether one supports the monarchy or not the Queen's longevity on the throne is something to behold. She's a remarkable woman so here's to the Queen.

By Gordon Rayner, Chief Reporter 04 Sep 2015

The Queen is expected to make a rare public speech thanking her British and Commonwealth subjects for 63 years of support when she becomes our longest-reigning monarch on Wednesday.

Her Majesty, who had originally wanted to spend the landmark day in private, has already bowed to the clamour for a public appearance by agreeing to interrupt her holiday at Balmoral and open a railway in the Borders.

Now she is said to be contemplating going even further by speaking at the end of her journey aboard a steam train, when she would be likely to pay tribute to her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria, the woman whose record reign she will overtake.

The Queen rarely speaks in public, confining herself to set piece events such as her Christmas message, the State opening of Parliament and speeches at State banquets when she is entertaining or visiting other leaders.

But the people of Tweedbank, near Galashiels, are hoping the Queen will mark her historic achievement by addressing the nation from the newly-built railway station where she will end her journey.
The Queen, who had insisted she wanted “no fuss” to be made about her record-breaking day, will board a train at Edinburgh Waverley Station pulled by the steam locomotive Union of South Africa for the two-hour journey.

• Queen is a Downton Abbey fan and loves to spot historical mistakes
It will stop at Newtongrange in Midlothian, where the Queen will unveil a plaque, before reaching Tweedbank, where the Queen will officially open the Borders Railway, the longest domestic railway line to be built in the UK in over a century.
She will be greeted by a brass band and will unveil another plaque, at which point she may decide to speak, though it is understood that a final decision will not be made until next week.

The station will be open to the public, who are expected to attend in their thousands to share in the Queen’s achievement. Television crews from all over the world will also be broadcasting the event, and the Queen may decide to use the opportunity to address not only the people of Britain, but of the 53 nations of the Commonwealth, an organisation whose success is her proudest achievement.

Her Majesty has also given permission for 24-hour news TV cameras to broadcast live from the garden of Buckingham Palace for the first time on Wednesday.

Ten television crews, from Britain, the US and the Commonwealth, will be allowed to broadcast from the lawn from the early hours until midnight on September 9, on a day when the Palace will also be open to paying visitors.

After opening the railway the Queen will return to Balmoral where she will skip a generation in her private celebration by spending the evening with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge but not the Prince of Wales.

The Queen will celebrate her big day with the younger generation of the Royal family (Mark Cuthbert)
The Prince has chosen to spend the day at Dumfries House, the stately home he saved for the nation in Ayrshire, being interviewed by Ant and Dec for a documentary on the Prince’s Trust, while the Duchess of Cornwall will be visiting the ITV studios to mark the station’s 60th anniversary, going behind the scenes of the This Morning show.

A spokesman for the Prince said he had a “long-standing engagement” to be at Dumfries House. Sources said he had not kept his diary free on the Queen’s historic day because Buckingham Palace had told members of the Royal family it should be “business as usual” on the day.
The Countess of Wessex will also be working, attending an engagement in London to promote the Diamond Jubilee Trust, meaning the Earl of Wessex will also be in the capital.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... narch.html
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Smurf »

I have to agree Urbane. She is tireless in a job that although not necessary is hard. I believe her mother was about the same but never had the position to truly show it. I wonder if she is trying to outlive Charlie because I get the feeling she does not want to see him in charge.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Have to say that I have never really understood what the queen/monarchy does for Canadians. I am sure there was a time and place for it in history but in today's world, I don't see the need for it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Since she has not exercised any of her imaginary/(real powers lol), and it's not costing the Canadian taxpayers anything (hopefully).

Let the Royalists have their Queen thing, the moment this crap starts costing us to have is the moment Canada needs to cut the cord.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

GordonH wrote:Since she has not exercised any of her imaginary/(real powers lol), and it's not costing the Canadian taxpayers anything (hopefully).

Let the Royalists have their Queen thing, the moment this crap starts costing us to have is the moment Canada needs to cut the cord.

GordonH, I haven't tried to research it but I am sure I read years ago that the Canadian taxpayers are contributing to the monarch. Will have to do some research as I would like to know.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Long live the Queen ...

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

My husband and I find your country quite appalling.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Don't forget that Queen Lizzy II is the world's largest land owner, only 1/6th of the world, including all of Canada sans the First Nations areas.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Queen Elizabeth II- cost to canadians

Post by Rosemary1 »

Actually isn't the cost of maintaining homes and supporting lieutenant governors and governor general (who are basically just figure heads) a cost to Canadians resulting from our at our relationship with the monarchy? Love to see what the total cost of that is provincially and federally....
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Sadly, some day we'll have King Chas. and Queen Camilla. What history these two have. Cheating, the other woman, talking to plants, coffee enemas. Talk about a checkered past.

Return to “Canada”