How Canada thinks about aboriginal peoples

zzontar
Guru

Re: How Canada thinks about aboriginal peoples

Post by zzontar »

SassySasquatch wrote:Lot's of instances of animal cruelty folks - not just obliged to one racial demographic, but keep up with your generalizations!

If it's true that animals are treated worse on reserves than elsewhere on the average, it's a statistic, not a generalization.

http://www.animaladvocates.com/top-stories/reserves.htm

There is no denying that the way animals are treated on Native reserves is the worst in BC, in fact in all of Canada, and unless this fact is addressed by the BC SPCA there will be no prevention of cruelty on reserves by the SPCA.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

maybe maryjane48 might have an insight on this problem ?
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#157510

Internal government documents say Manitoba First Nations live in some of the most dilapidated homes in the country and it will cost $2 billion to eliminate mould and chronic overcrowding in that province alone.

"I've been in those homes," Bennett said in an interview. "It is a disgrace for Canadians to watch.

Seems crazy that if a white guy doesn't want to lift a finger to do any maintenance, cleaning, painting, or yard maintenance to his house he's supposed to feel disgraced and fix the problem himself, whereas natives can do the same but we're supposed to fix it and feel disgraced that they can't lift a finger... crazy.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

so what have they been doing with the hundreds of millions of dollars they have been given over the years.??
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

SassySasquatch wrote:After looking at these 'native, aboriginal, *removed* threads I'm reminded why Helen Keller had it good.

If Helen Keller did this to this many dogs, I'd have the same problem with this. By virtue of your response, I find it pretty clear that you are OK with this action. It's ok to say as a native, or a white native lover, that this is simply NOT ok. Why you and yours continually come on here when a valid argument is brought up, and never condone the actions. Why in Gods green earth is that??
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Why is it considered OK for someone to do nothing until their house rots away around them, then expect the taxpayers to build them a new one ?
Black Dogs Matter
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Rot???? Where I grew up (ok, raised) the taxpayer funded housing never got a chance to rot!

They were all ripped apart piece by piece and used for firewood!!!

Throwing good money after bad is not the solution to the problem.

There is no magic fix to some of these issues, history of generations have already proven this.

I do not have the answer either, but I KNOW throwing a piss-pot full of money into the glowing
embers only warms and brightens for a fleeting moment!

-db
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

The abuse of animals, children, women , elderly and our environment is sadly not exclusive to any one group or another. We are all part of the imperfect human race and human spirit. We all have a heart and the capacity to love, respect, and care (or not) about the people and world around us - regardless of our background, culture, history and circumstances.

Main differences? FNs go to some lengths to profess that all animals are sacred, that they are the keepers of the environment, their children are loved and precious and their women and elders respected in their culture as if they have an exclusive claim to such feelings and behavior. Other difference? When any FN members mistreat one of their own , it is always the fault of colonialism, residential school legacy etc, systemic racism and not enough funding for this or that. At least this is what appears to be the main recurring message from our FN leaders in the media of late.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

10/10 that about says and couvers it all
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It is simply wrong to have different rules for people of different racial origins in Canada.

In reality we are ALL Canadians. In theory ANYTHING can be used to justify using our theoretical laws to make us unequal.

Examples as above ...
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

the truth wrote:so what have they been doing with the hundreds of millions of dollars they have been given over the years.??

I believe that's what Harper was trying to stop and put a hold on funding. Although since change of Government, it is not up to us to decide what happens to the money funded.

I spoke to a Saskatchewan Chief recently, he said his people can look at my books. It is not Tax payers money and they have no right to look at my books.

Further to, this fellow told me he is only given funding to educate Ten band members a year. I'd like to see if this is true as the Treaties do not limit education.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

in general.anyone that has nothing to hide ,has no reason to not open there books
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

maryjane48 wrote:Craig Kielburger says it's time Canadians rethink their views on the country's aboriginal population.

The co-founder of Free the Children has spent much of his life helping communities in developing countries become self-sustaining. The organization takes a five-pillar approach to tackle issues surrounding education, health care, food security, small jobs creation and clean water.

But Kielburger says that when FTC sat down with indigenous leaders in Canada to see if the organization's programs were a fit for aboriginal communities, they heard the same important message repeatedly.

"We'd hear things like, 'It's not charity, it's a treaty obligation. We're not looking for hand-outs. We don't want kids across Canada raising spare pennies to send to aboriginal communities,'" Kielburger told The Huffington Post Canada ahead of We Day Toronto 2015. "Instead, what we kept hearing was this idea of empowerment and leadership development," he added.

"So often when Canada talks about our aboriginal population, we frame it as problems to be solved. And I think that's a disservice. I think we need to see aboriginal populations as problem solvers."

Kielburger said empowerment has been the basis for the FTC programs that support aboriginal youth in Canada.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/01 ... ref=canada

I've read through a good part of the thread here (but it is long) and my question is what exactly is this thread topic asking? Is it asking what "Canada" thinks of First Nations people in regards to some obvious racism? Is it asking about Land Treaties? In other words is this topic asking about social issues (and responsibilities) or is it asking about more political issues? Or ??? I just find the topic itself to be very broad. Kind of like saying "How Canada Thinks About Muslims" - doesn't make a whole lot of sense because Canada is a country (as opposed to an opinion), that is made up of many, many diverse opinions.

So what is it you are asking and want to discuss? I would like to join the discussion but not sure what the topic is........
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

pepsilover wrote: Is it asking what "Canada" thinks of First Nations people in regards to some obvious racism?

It's a hard topic, because anything said about wanting equality or against anything natives do is deemed as obvious racism by some.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Political correctness has become a barrier to addressing problems that exist in our Aboriginal communities and with Aboriginal persons. When honest and open discussion is subdued by the unwritten and [now] written dictates of political correctness, there is virtually no hope of addressing the root causes of much of the misery and disadvantages that plague Canada's aboriginal population. Most people would readily concede that our opinions about Aboriginal peoples is generally less than positive. The majority of news stories about aboriginal peoples and their communities are negative, dealing with poverty or crime, etc. Our media frequently portray Aboriginal leadership as being corrupt and wasteful with funding provided by government, to the disadvantage of their peoples. When it comes to the plight of aboriginal women, the statistics have clearly indicated that the vast majority of victimization of aboriginal women [including the murdered] occurs at the hands of aboriginal persons... immediate family, relatives and others associated with the victim. That fact should be no surprise because the same thing occurs in the non-native communities. Aboriginal women who are involved in the sex trade and who become victims of violent crime, arrive at that place in their lives because of the environment in which they grew up. As with other races and ethnic groups, many sex trade workers suffered sexual abuse at the hands of relatives or others in the community who had regular access to them. Many aboriginal women are at high risk of being victimized because of these circumstances and because they lack confidence and self-esteem, are not well educated, and some end up in very high risk lifestyles associated with drug use/dependence or alcohol use. The Liberal government will be spending tens of millions of dollars undertaking a nation wide inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women. It is perhaps unfair to prejudge the focus of the government inquiry, but it would seem that much attention will be directed at what has [or has not] been done by the police and government agencies to investigate cases of missing/murdered aboriginal women or to prevent their victimization. IMHO, those tens of millions of dollars would do far more good were they to be spent on education and counseling and personal development projects that would improve the confidence, self-esteem and potential of aboriginal women, men, boys and girls so they are not so susceptible to victimizing or victimization. Significant funds need to be dedicated to anti-drinking and the reduction of drug use which has been escalating at an alarming rate on many Reserves across Canada. Substance abuse issues on Reserves should surprise no one either, since the same thing occurs in non-native communities that are socio/economically disadvantaged. The realities that contribute to the rate of victimization of Aboriginal women by their own people or by non-aboriginals need to be put on the table so that strategies can be developed and implemented to change those realities. There are some amazing success stories out there about Bands that have turned things 180 degrees. The Osoyoos Band under the leadership of Chief Louie is one shining example and proof that it can be done. My last thought on this issue is that the negativity that exists in respect to Aboriginals in Canada is not going to be changed by anyone but Aboriginals themselves. Non-aboriginals and government can provide leadership training, mentoring and other resources in support, but........

Return to “Canada”