How Canada thinks about aboriginal peoples

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: How Canada thinks about aboriginal peoples

Post by maryjane48 »

lol dong is just bragging about how europeans came to canada and killed many first nation people and ones that were not killed off , were put in corrals like cattle called a reserve .
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Oct 13th, 2015, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Madhue ...

Since Democracies have been voted out of existence in several countries in the existing world I will have to disagree with you.

When the chips are down reality trumps your theoretical view of the world. Don't ask me which countries Madhue. See if you can solve this one yourself.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Donald G wrote:To Madhue ...

Since Democracies have been voted out of existence in several countries in the existing world I will have to disagree with you.

When the chips are down reality trumps your theoretical view of the world. Don't ask me which countries Madhue. See if you can solve this one yourself.

Apparently you think pretty low of Canada and our government if you think the possibility of voting out democracy exists.
hail Satan y'all
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Democracy is a thing to be protected in countries that already have it. Because history shows us that democracy can be a very fragile thing, that is easy to lose if taken too much for granted.

There is a reason our National Anthem tell us to "stand on guard" for our country. And it's not just to protect us against external threats.

There are countless examples throughout history of democratic countries that sank into dictatorships because of citizen apathy. Germany is the most obvious example, but there are others.

If we truly value our rights and freedoms, we must always be ready to protect them from those who would try to take them away from us.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Merry ...

I agree. The other way to lose Democracy is to have a small minority of people take over through financial control. Take a close look at the USA, which has been identified as more of an Oligarchy than a Democracy many times by intelligent and knowledgeable scholars.

The American Founding Fathers even warned that the Democratic system they devised was subject to corruption if too much money fell into the hands and control of two few people.

I am not saying that that is a good thing or bad thing. Only that it exists in the real world.

Even Natives and Native Reserves in Canada have different laws than non Natives and non Native Land.

Democracy is in no way an unchanging way of dealing with people trying to live together. It is a fluid system that is very sensitive to the the pressures placed upon it by minority groups of all kinds.
Last edited by Donald G on Oct 13th, 2015, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

I'm not sure why my post was removed... But again I'll point out there are a number of fail safes in order to prevent this from occurring none the less like I've stated before, it's citizenry is responsible for advocating for thier Rights.

As for Nations that have done away with Democracy... Depends how you define it. See a true democracy doesn't exist.... See if your smart enough to figure that one out.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Madhue ...

To my knowledge the first, and one of the only true democracies to exist in the world, was Athens where EVERY MALE citizen had the right to speak and vote on every issue.

While they were sitting around talking and voting the Spartans walked in and took over. So Much for the first true democracy although variations of the concept were studies and copied right up to modern times.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

To my knowledge the first, and one of the only true democracies to exist in the world, was Athens where EVERY MALE citizen had the right to speak and vote on every issue.

While they were sitting around talking and voting the Spartans walked in and took over. So Much for the first true democracy although variations of the concept were studies and copied right up to modern times.

Other than non sequitur idioms, your point was democracies fall to the will of the people. My point is that Canada has a number of fail safes to prevent that from happening. Then you started to ramble on... You have a point? Support by claims that have evidence to support them?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Oct 13th, 2015, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Oct 13th, 2015, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

One of the things I have come to think about local aboriginal people is that there are few aboriginal people hanging around the park or streets in Kelowna. Very few involved in the local downtown drug trade as well.

More effort has to be made to see aboriginals as individual people. The same goes for most races and ethnic origins.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

People are just people, no matter what their ethnic background. We are all human beings, who have more in common than things about us that are different.

It's too bad we can't stop stereotyping people, and just see individual people instead. Some good, some not so good, and some bad. But the category each individual falls into, has absolutely NOTHING to do with his or her race.

We're all just people.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

but as you see merry some do not see it that way . most first nation people identify as canadians . yet it is the ones crying the loudest against inclusion , who also want to keep the labels going ie shes is a muslim , he is indian , they are potheads bla bla

. without division, northamericas new version of a conservative is really just facist ideology failed .
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Merry wrote:

People are just people, no matter what their ethnic background. We are all human beings, who have more in common than things about us that are different.

It's too bad we can't stop stereotyping people, and just see individual people instead. Some good, some not so good, and some bad. But the category each individual falls into, has absolutely NOTHING to do with his or her race.

We're all just people.

I agree people are just people and we are all good and bad however I also believe that it goes past that. Your upbringing which includes your ethnic beliefs can have a huge affect on your behaviour. We have a lot in common but we can have tremendous differences due to our upbringing and circumstances.

I believe it was you in another post that refereed to the Germans killing Jews and the US and slavery. If you actually believe the majority of those people believed in those things then are you saying they are all bad people and if so why. Were you not stereotyping. It would make me think that if that is true they are hopefully very different than us. I totally agree we all have a lot in common but circumstances and beliefs definitely make us into totally different people. I still believe the majority of people are good but due to circumstances etc I do feel we have to be more careful of some than others.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “Canada”