Trudeau announces plan to kill first-past-the-post

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Trudeau announces plan to kill first-past-the-post

Post by bob vernon »

Look at it this way, Dougie. Which partie(s) stand to benefit the most and the worst from a preferential ballot system? Of course on a preferential ballot most Liberals would choose the NDP as their second choice with only a few choosing a Conservative. The dirty, rotten NDPers would choose a Liberal or a Green candidate as their second and third choices. How many Liberals, NDP, or Greens would pick a Conservative as their second choice? Hardly any.

The parties who stand to gain the most from going to a preferential ballot are the ones that don't start with the letter "C".
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

So what you’re saying Bob is that a preferential ballot system would absolutely and definitely be the best thing for our country ensuring that the values and ideals of the majority of Canadians would continue to be most closely honoured?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

bob vernon wrote:Look at it this way, Dougie. Which partie(s) stand to benefit the most and the worst from a preferential ballot system? Of course on a preferential ballot most Liberals would choose the NDP as their second choice with only a few choosing a Conservative. The dirty, rotten NDPers would choose a Liberal or a Green candidate as their second and third choices. How many Liberals, NDP, or Greens would pick a Conservative as their second choice? Hardly any.

The parties who stand to gain the most from going to a preferential ballot are the ones that don't start with the letter "C".

That's mostly incorrect. The party that benefits from PV begins with the letter L because they are in the middle. Most people would put down Liberals as their second choice. Liberals will divide between Conservative and NDP while both NDP and Conservative supporters will mostly go Liberal as their second choice.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I favor any system where the NDP and Greens end up with no seats. Put that in and I will support it 100%.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The Green Barbarian wrote:I favor any system where the NDP and Greens end up with no seats. Put that in and I will support it 100%.

That's not Democracy. Many Canadians, including myself, are fine with it depending on the candidates. Although I would really prefer we be voting on issues and not parties to begin with.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Canada”