Harper to resign from PM

jamapple
Übergod

Harper to resign from PM

Post by jamapple »

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ha ... lsignoutmd

So, instead of being called being fired by the people of Canada, he says he will "resign"? Way to make it look like this is your idea!!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Harper to resign from PM

Post by GordonH »

Wildrose Party may need a leader or Alberta PC's, if he ever steps down as MP.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

GordonH wrote:Wildrose Party may need a leader or Alberta PC's, if he ever steps down as MP.

But you can't "step down" from a position you were FIRED from.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Nope. And "Voted Out by the revolting Peasants" would not be polite either.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Wildrose Party may need a leader or Alberta PC's, if he ever steps down as MP.

jamapple wrote:But you can't "step down" from a position you were FIRED from.

He lost the PM job, he is still a MP.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

At the end of the day if he would rather go down in history books as a "quitter" instead of "fired" doesn't really matter to me. I'm just glad he's no longer our prime minister and the Conservatives are no longer in power!
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

jamapple wrote:http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/harper-to-formally-quit-as-pm-next-week/ar-BBmxvO2?li=AAadgLE&ocid=mailsignoutmd

So, instead of being called being fired by the people of Canada, he says he will "resign"? Way to make it look like this is your idea!!

Harper visited the Governor General at Rideau Hall immediately after the election and signified his intention to resign. His formal resignation will take place just prior to Trudeau's swearing in ceremony. This is pretty common (or as the G.G. stated was keeping with Canadian practice) ... by law the PM would remain PM until the new PM is sworn in, in this case he will step down just before. Nothing fishy going on there.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

LiamHaddock wrote:At the end of the day if he would rather go down in history books as a "quitter" instead of "fired" doesn't really matter to me.

I suggest you (and others) grab some history books and discover why exactly the PM resigns prior to the PM designate being sworn in, heck you may learn something about protocol and respect for the victor. I suggest you start learning beginning with what a constitutional monarchy is. It also may interest you by pulling out a few books on the British Parliament model as well as the meeting of the Delegates of British North America.

It may surprise you to learn that Harper is not quitting, nor is he being fired.

I voted Liberal this go around and was happy to see a change, but look at some peoples understanding of how the Government works as sadly lacking. What a shame.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Harper will remain as an MP as long as the Duffy trial go on. The trial is scheduled to start again in November. MPs can't be compelled to testify. I think that Steve needs that protection for another few months.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

bob vernon wrote:Harper will remain as an MP as long as the Duffy trial go on. The trial is scheduled to start again in November. MPs can't be compelled to testify. I think that Steve needs that protection for another few months.

If Justin calls parliament back in November or December then what you said is the case, if he waits until January then Stephen could be forced to testify.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

alfred2 wrote:some posters do not realize, that is how it is done in canada how stupid they are. when ruling party loses then that is the way iy is done., wake up.

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Oct 29th, 2015, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
AirHoss
Board Meister

Post by AirHoss »

I can't stand the guy as much as anyone, but relax... it's a matter of parliamentary procedure that he resign. Since he won his riding, he's officially PM until he receives no-confidence in the House OR resigns. To be fired, he would have to reconvene the house, seek confidence and lose.
This wording has nothing to do with his legendary arrogance.

Know your democracy... and good riddance.

Return to “Canada”