They fought for our freedom

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

They fought for our freedom

Post by maryjane48 »

this is a picture of my moms dad before he headed into the pacific theatre. he was a pow in hongkong for 5 years before he came home to canada and proceded to try and join a normal life . but normal was never going to be a option .but my mom said he loved when me and my 2 younger brothers were able to visit .

anyone else want to share their stories feel free . any negative posts should be reported and deleted in this thread because it is to honour the fallen and the survivors thank you
Attachments
20151107_153654-240x427.jpg
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: They fought for our freedom

Post by maryjane48 »

ty for correcting my spelling
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

my moms mom w campbell went to ontario from her home in manitoba to make rifles amoung other things . ty you gramma and everyone else that joined the effort in ww2
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Kind of an arms length story but it hit home last night when I watched an episode of the "War Junk" series they're running on TV this week.

An old friend died in 2011 was one of the last surviving members of the elite American/Canadian special forces battalion that fought in Italy in 43 and 44. They were called the Devils Brigade and that company eventually morphed into what is now the American Green Beret (I believe).

Typical of those fascinating heroes Jim didn't talk much about that campaign, but it was so cool to watch the show last night and reflect on how the producers story fit perfectly with the odd story Jim did let out after we passed too much time sitting in the Legion.

I'm proud to say I'm off to watch my young granddaughter march in this years ceremony right now.

Lest we forget.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Boda wrote:Kind of an arms length story but it hit home last night when I watched an episode of the "War Junk" series they're running on TV this week.

An old friend died in 2011 was one of the last surviving members of the elite American/Canadian special forces battalion that fought in Italy in 43 and 44. They were called the Devils Brigade and that company eventually morphed into what is now the American Green Beret (I believe).

Typical of those fascinating heroes Jim didn't talk much about that campaign, but it was so cool to watch the show last night and reflect on how the producers story fit perfectly with the odd story Jim did let out after we passed too much time sitting in the Legion.

I'm proud to say I'm off to watch my young granddaughter march in this years ceremony right now.

Lest we forget.

great story about some brave folks , a italian friend brought up devils brigade in casual convo and he said most italians know about them because they scared crap out the germans
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Boda wrote:Kind of an arms length story but it hit home last night when I watched an episode of the "War Junk" series they're running on TV this week.

Lest we forget.

You're absolutely right, the Devil's Brigade (1st Special Service Force) didn't turn into the Green Beret, but it was disbanded and they set the standard for the Green Beret in the USA and the Canadian Airborne Regiment in Canada.

It's truly amazing to consider what these people had to do back then.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

maryjane48 wrote:this is a picture of my moms dad before he headed into the pacific theatre. he was a pow in hongkong for 5 years before he came home to canada and proceded to try and join a normal life . but normal was never going to be a option .but my mom said he loved when me and my 2 younger brothers were able to visit .

anyone else want to share their stories feel free . any negative posts should be reported and deleted in this thread because it is to honour the fallen and the survivors thank you

No weapons today, no hate, maryjane. I thank him for his service. He made it home. Bless him. Lest we forget.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

IMGP2961 (Small).jpg

R.I.P. to My Dad who passed away 2 years ago and to his friends who died in WWII in Oostende Belgium from an accidental explosion and fire of some MTB's.

He never did talk much about it but I know it affected him deeply that many of his friends were killed and he survived.

Lest We Forget!
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

My Great Uncle Einar was rewarded after WWII by the Norwegian King. Tip Onkel Einar fought in The Resistance.

On the other side of my family-
One great uncle fought for and survived and one great uncle fought and died in Berlin. They were Ukranians in The Russian assault against Berlin in the last days of WWII
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Private James Favell.jpg

Private James Favell
British Columbia Regiment
Canadian Infantry.

Born on February 22, 1893, One of 12 children born to William and Marie Favell, he led a simple life as a farmer in Kelowna.

In 1916 two of his brothers, Charlie and Wilfred, joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force. Jimmy followed one year later, enlisting in Vernon on March 23, 1917. He joined the 30th British Columbia Horse and eventually served with the 7th Battalion.

On September 2, 1918 Private James Favell lost his life in France and was listed as Killed In Action.
His name is given tribute on the Kelowna Cenotaph, the Vimy Memorial in Pas de Calais, France and in the Canadian Books of Remembrance

"Uncle Jimmy" Died age 25 years - He had no wife or children.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

My dad lied about his age and joined at 17 years. They caught him, but instead of sending him home ,they kept him on KP duty in Petawawa Ont til he turned 18. From there he went overseas and was in the thick of it. Hard to believe an 18 year old in the middle of it when you watch the documentaries today. My mother told me he believed he was on borrowed time for the rest of his life,because he made it through .
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

My father and the rest of the RAF/RCAF B-17 Flying Fortress flight crew in England during WW2. Dad, second from the right, back row, is still with us, not sure about his mates but seeing as he was 96 on his last birthday it's a toss-up. I wonder how many of us today, comfortable in front of our wide-screen TV's complaining about the price of a gallon of gas can actually relate to traveling half-way round the world to put our lives on the line for family and country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/air-force-obituaries/9486184/Squadron-Leader-Leslie-Clark.html
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I am the only one who questions "fighting for freedom" bit?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Even Steven wrote:I am the only one who questions "fighting for freedom" bit?

You are so far. It's kind of what Remembrance Day is all about.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

FreeRights wrote:You're absolutely right, the Devil's Brigade (1st Special Service Force) didn't turn into the Green Beret, but it was disbanded and they set the standard for the Green Beret in the USA and the Canadian Airborne Regiment in Canada.

Still one of my favorite war movies of all time. Not just because the story is so good, but because Canada is actually given a fair shake for once in a war movie, as opposed to the USA and the UK always getting the screen time and the credit. If you watch the Longest Day with John Wayne you'd think Canada wasn't even involved in the D-Day landings.

This is my favorite scene - where the Canadians and Americans finally bond, by destroying a bar and beating up a bunch of American lumberjacks...

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”