They fought for our freedom

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Re: They fought for our freedom

Post by Ka-El »

fluffy wrote: I wonder how many of us today, comfortable in front of our wide-screen TV's complaining about the price of a gallon of gas can actually relate to traveling half-way round the world to put our lives on the line for family and country.

A very dark time in our history to be sure, and we can only imagine (with some dread)
what might have been had not such great sacrifice been made by so many.

Sad to see how dark it is getting once again.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

To Even Steven.

You know that a western nation built 'cities' to house people to work them to death as slave labour OR to immediately kill them with bullets- too slow, with explosives - too messy and gruesome for even the Nazis, then gas chambers.

My relatives in Europe (Norway, France and Ukraine) could tell you some things about those people.
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Ka-El wrote:A very dark time in our history to be sure, and we can only imagine (with some dread)
what might have been had not such great sacrifice been made by so many.
Sad to see how dark it is getting once again.

I think of a quote I read somewhere a few yrs back.

"Anti-semitism is a light sleeper." It appears xenophobia is a light sleeper as well.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Nomaster wrote:My relatives in Europe (Norway, France and Ukraine) could tell you some things about those people.

Well, that's kind of a point. People in Europe did fight for their freedom. Heck, they were fighting for survival. My grandparents (from Eastern Europe) fought bravely, etc.

But let's talk about Canadian involvement in wars around the globe. Outside of WW2, Canada fought in Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, Serbian conflict, Persian Gulf war, Korean war, Russian civil war, and others. And we're remembering all of these veterans as well. But our freedom wasn't at risk in any of them. Like Saddam Hussein wasn't going to come to Canada, yet we were fighting him. Was Libya threatening us? Koreans? If anything, there were fighting for our political interests or mainly for US political interests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even Steven wrote:I am the only one who questions "fighting for freedom" bit?

What do you think would have happened if we had not fought against Nazi Germany and Japan?

Do you think you would have the "freedom" to sit in front of your computer and say pretty much anything you want?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Even Steven wrote: But let's talk about Canadian involvement in wars around the globe. Outside of WW2, Canada fought in Syria, Libya, Afghanistan, Serbian conflict, Persian Gulf war, Korean war, Russian civil war, and others. And we're remembering all of these veterans as well.

Yes, because whether you or I agree with the policies of the government of the day or not, those soldiers dedicated their lives to the service of this country (us) and made the ultimate sacrifice in doing so. I for one will remember them as veterans as well.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Ka-El wrote:Yes, because whether you or I agree with the policies of the government of the day or not, those soldiers dedicated their lives to the service of this country (us) and made the ultimate sacrifice in doing so.

Well, that's your choice, and I'm not saying it's a wrong one. I'm simply questioning the everyday rhetoric.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Bsuds wrote:What do you think would have happened if we had not fought against Nazi Germany and Japan?

Alternative history isn't my major. Canada was helping our ally in Europe (United Kingdom). There's a chance that Russia and United Kingdom wouldn't be able to fight off Germany though it was Russia who did most of the damage to Germany and captured Berlin after all. But to envision an invasion of Germany into Canada in which case our freedom would be questioned is I think rather far-fetched.

In my mind, the chances of Hitler coming over the ocean and imprisoning us is not that much higher than Saddam Hussein and Koreans threatening our "freedom".
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even Steven wrote:
In my mind, the chances of Hitler coming over the ocean and imprisoning us is not that much higher than Saddam Hussein and Koreans threatening our "freedom".

While a long shot it is a possibility especially if no one was able to stop them!

Either way this thread is to commemorate those who have fought for what they believe in. Anytime and anyplace so if you don't agree to that feel free to not participate.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Why is this turning into a debate? I Ihought It was supposed to be a tribute to our war vets and fallen heros.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

motorhomebabe wrote:Why is this turning into a debate? I Ihought It was supposed to be a tribute to our war vets and fallen heros.

Exactly, Thank You!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

motorhomebabe wrote:Why is this turning into a debate?

It's not a debate per se. I asked a question, someone else asked me a question, I responded. Freedom of speech kind of thing. Ironic since our freedom (including freedom of speech) in the title of this topic.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Even Steven wrote:It's not a debate per se. I asked a question, someone else asked me a question, I responded. Freedom of speech kind of thing. Ironic since our freedom (including freedom of speech) in the title of this topic.

It's not a matter of whether your question is appropriate to this particular thread, I can guarantee you that it is not. Remembrance Day is not a political statement, nor is it a venue for judging the pros and cons of open conflict on a large scale. It is an acknowledgment of the sacrifice of men and women who grew up in a different reality than what we enjoy now. If you want to question the validity of recognizing their sacrifice, a separate thread would be a better place. Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from simple courtesy and respect.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Canada's Battlefields

Telling the stories of Canadians who helped liberate Europe during the first and second world wars
http://battlefields.ca/

Raising funds for ground-penetrating radar to continue search for Canadian Missing.

Almost 100 years after the battle of Vimy Ridge was won by Canadian Soldiers of the Great War, a search is underway to locate the remains of 44 Canadian heroes, including one Victoria Cross recipient, who were accidentally left behind in a mass grave.

The time is now for a grateful nation to finally lay them to rest.

vimy-shirt-art.png

http://teesforthepeople.com/products/vimy
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNF28p6wkOs

That's my favourite.... Talk about class AND why our fore fathers did what they did ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Canada”