Paul Bernardo's Book

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Paul Bernardo's Book

Post by MAPearce »

I'm not going to read it......
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

MAPearce wrote:I'm not going to read it......

Absolutely no interest here either.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

It is highly unlikely that anyone would be interested in Paul Bernardo as an author, were it not for his heinous criminal history. And like one individual has persistently posted: if you don't want to read it, don't buy it. Great advice. Got better things to do with my time than reading that *bleep*'s book.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

The emotional response is obviously "how dare he write a book and make money off it!"

Even if there wasn't legislature in Ontario that prohibits profiting from books about crimes committed, I would be adamantly against anyone deciding who can and cannot write, and what I can and cannot read.

I wouldn't and won't read his book, but it should remain in the hands of the public to determine whether a book is decidedly read or not.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

The 631-page work chronicles a Russian plot to take over a social media site and satisfy ambitions to establish itself as an international superpower.

Taken from a website telling of his book. It has nothing to do with his crimes, so he can/will benefit from it financially.

Now, the critics hate it, so anyone buying it will be most likely doing so for the morbidness of him, personally, then because it will be a "good read".
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

According to CTV News Amazon has pulled the book.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/amazon-pul ... -1.2659085
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The book apparently is not about his crimes but a work of fiction. Lots of reviews saying it is a great book, even a #1 seller until Amazon got inodated with reviews of those who had not read the book but provided their review of Paul and or Amazon. Although I don't think Paul should profit, it would be difficult to stop it from the potential many other venues to sell a book.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Doesn't matter whether the book is about the crime[s] he committed or fiction. My point was that, because of his notoriety as a multiple, sex crime murderer, he was likely going to sell copies of the book. My point was criticism of Amazon.com for aiding him in that endeavor. Good to see that they have reconsidered and have stopped selling the book.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Treblehook wrote:Doesn't matter whether the book is about the crime[s] he committed or fiction. My point was that, because of his notoriety as a multiple, sex crime murderer, he was likely going to sell copies of the book. My point was criticism of Amazon.com for aiding him in that endeavor. Good to see that they have reconsidered and have stopped selling the book.

I'm disappointed that Amazon pulled the book from sales. I shouldn't be prohibited from reading something because you didn't like it.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bernardo is a perfect example as to why Canada should have the death penalty
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I don't think that Amazon.com gave a hoot about my opinion on their distributing the book. Undoubtedly, they did have some concerns about the collective opinions of many people who's thinking is out of sorts with yours freerights.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

I wonder what other books we could get taken off the shelves at amazon? Theres a few I don't think they should be selling either.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

django wrote:I wonder what other books we could get taken off the shelves at amazon? Theres a few I don't think they should be selling either.

Are we seriously gunna start a discussion on banned books? Such as Harry Potter, To Kill A Mocking Bird, Lord of the Flies, The Color Purple. The list goes on and on of books that have been banned just because a few people don't think they should be read.
(And obviously I am not saying the Paul Bernardo book is on the same level as these classic books.)
hail Satan y'all
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Well we can't just let this topic die after two lousy pages.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

We recently did have an attempt in Canada to destroy books. Like whole scientific libraries of books in Federal sites. The Agriculture Canada library in Lethbridge was supposed to go to the dump, on Harper's orders, but only part of it made it. Leftist scientists rescued a lot of it and it wound up in their basements. Some of the material went back into the 1800s when the Feds set up a group of research farms across the prairies and has some historical significance as well. Some was never micro-fiched or scanned and is unique. Illegal to rescue the material? Maybe, but it just demonstrates the loyalty that most scientists have for their academic research.

Return to “Canada”