Petition to keep TFSA annual limit at $10K

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Petition to keep TFSA annual limit at $10K

Post by Barney Google »

Parliament of Canada Petition to keep the TFSA annual contribution limit at $10,000.

https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Petitio ... tition=e-3

"e-3 (Tax system)

42nd Parliament
Initiated by Catherine Swift from Aurora, Ontario, on December 7, 2015, at 2:59 p.m. (EDT)
The Petition is open for signature until April 5, 2016, at 2:59 p.m. (EDT)

Petition details

Petition to the Minister of Finance
Whereas:•About half of adult Canadians currently have Tax Free Savings Accounts (TFSAs), which is a very high level of participation in a program that has only been available since 2009. Of those TFSA holders who have taken advantage of the current $10,000 limit, 60% earn $60,000 per year or less, demonstrating that the current TFSA limit is not a tool only for the "rich";
•TFSAs are an excellent retirement savings tool for seniors who can no longer take advantage of Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSPS), and also for young Canadians who need a tax-effective means of saving for their future;
•Opinion poll data has repeatedly shown that a majority of Canadians support retaining the current TFSA limit, and this support is consistent across age groups, income levels and regions of Canada; and
•Canadians currently pay 43% of their income in taxes - more than they pay for food, shelter and clothing combined. Many of these tax dollars go to provide very generous pensions for government employees - pensions that the 80% of Canadians who do not work for government cannot afford for themselves but to which they contribute tens of billions of dollars every year. Retaining the TFSA limit of $10,000 is the least the government can do to help the vast majority of Canadians working in the private sector to save for a decent retirement for themselves and their families."

We, the undersigned, residents of Canada, request (or call upon) the Minister of Finance to leave the Tax Free Savings Account (TFSA) limit at $10,000 annually to ensure fairness for all working Canadians.

Thoughts? Input?
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Petition to keep TFSA annual limit at $10K

Post by JagXKR »

Just signed it. No comment needed other than that.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I feel $5,500 is a good limit for now. I'm comfortable with that and use it as an investment tool myself.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

When was the last time petition did any good?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:When was the last time petition did any good?

800 years ago this year. Magna Carta, 1215.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

over 30 thousand have signed one to not name trumps tower in vancouver after mr trump :)

Return to “Canada”