Bees Back

Jlabute
Guru

Bees Back

Post by Jlabute »

New figures from Statistics Canada show beekeepers produced 95.3 million pounds of honey in 2015, an increase of 11.4 per cent from the previous year.

The total value of the sweet stuff is up by 10.9 per cent to $232 million due to the increased production.

"The industry is successful and is growing. It really is a positive message," Rod Scarlett, executive director of the Canadian Honey Council said Wednesday.

The number of bee colonies increased by 3.6 per cent, largely due to milder temperatures last winter that reduced losses, mainly in the Prairies.

Well, it's good the prairies had milder temperatures.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Bees Back

Post by Barney Google »

Crossing fingers this trend will continue.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Bees, Pine Beetles, birds, fruit, weeds and others make it a real mess with weather, chemicals etc. don't they. Glad to see the bees back and hopefully they will flourish.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I wonder if the reduction in chemical sprays played any role in the bee increase ??

A number of people in our area planted Russian Sage in an effort to help the bees. It may not help the bees but at least it makes us feel better.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

We noticed more bees this past summer compared to the summer previous.
We're lost but we're making good time.

Return to “Canada”