Have you signed your organ donation card?

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Have you signed your organ donation card?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Having a close relative who was the beneficiary of a liver transplant, I know how hard it is to find organs for people who need them. Up until I saw what they went through to find a liver, I myself had never signed my organ donation authorization, but I have now. I would urge everyone to do so. This story is proof enough, there just aren't enough donors out there. Sign up now, and help someone save their life, for zero cost to your own (as you won't need them anymore) is all I can say.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Canada/201 ... 83210.html

LONDON, Ont. - Jillian Di Bernardo’s search for a life-saving liver donor made national headlines.

The London woman’s social media plea went viral.

Even the Ottawa Senators hockey club asked its fans to help the 28-year-old hairdresser, just like the NHL team did for its billionaire owner Eugene Melnyk last spring.

It hasn’t been enough.

Still waiting for a donor, time is running out on Di Bernardo.

A handful of friends and family members have taken a battery of tests only to find out they’re not compatible to donate part of their liver. A cousin in Sudbury also learned he isn’t a match.

Now, her health rapidly deteriorated, Di Bernardo weighs just 50 kilograms and has to have her swollen abdominal cavity drained weekly.

“Some people don’t even recognize me. It’s easy to forget how different I look on the outside, because I still feel like myself on the inside — sometimes,” she said.

Once a yoga-loving 20-something in good health, Di Bernardo’s life changed five years ago when she was diagnosed with hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia, a disease affecting her liver.

Doctors put her on the liver transplant list as her condition worsened, but later took her off when an experimental drug showed signs of success. It worked for four years until her symptoms returned last year, when she was put back on the list.

But there’s a shortage of available organs for patients needing them.

Eighty-six of the 498 people on Canada’s liver transplant list died waiting for an available organ in 2013, according to the Canadian Institute for Health Information.

Knowing she may die before her name comes up, Di Bernardo took to social media Oct. 29 and pleaded for a live donor with Type O blood to come forward.

It has come to a time where I need to share my story. I would like to first share my personal experience with anyone...
Posted by Jillian Di Bernardo on Thursday, 29 October 2015
“We’re seeing more and more of these types of public appeals, and it is an indication of people’s desperation” said Melanie Kearns, a spokesperson for the Canadian Liver Foundation.

The plus side of such campaigns, Kearns said, is the attention they draw to organ donation, including becoming a live donor.

After The London Free Press published Di Bernardo's story, dozens of people reached out to find out more information about being potential donors. The London Health Sciences Centre is in the process of working through that list of people, said Di Bernardo, adding she doesn’t know how many people are on the list or whether any have been tested yet.

“They don’t really share that info with me,” she said.

A hospital spokesperson said by e-mail it can’t speak specifically about Di Bernardo’s case because of privacy concerns.

With her chances of finding a compatible donor through friends and family exhausted, Di Bernardo is putting her hope on a stranger.

“I still feel hopeful that there’s a donor somewhere on that list.”
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Have you signed your organ donation card?

Post by Always Sunny »

Here's a link for those in BC:
https://register.transplant.bc.ca/

I signed up in my 20's and convinced my father to do so as well.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i signed up over 20 years ago
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Yes, I have. I hope my body can help as many people as possible after I don't need it anymore.
Last edited by JLives on Dec 14th, 2015, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

On that thought Jlives, is there an age limit on the donor system? I can't see a 90 year old liver being a lot of good to a 10 year old kid but then again perhaps it can be.

Is the fear of being a "parts donor" when determining whether they should "do everything possible" when trying to save someone still much of a fear these days. (once upon a time it was), I've just heard little about it over the years, it used to be such a big thing but seems less media spoken now a days.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

What if you get to Heaven, and they say "No entry for people with no kidney"?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

When you put in your PHN it lets you know exactly when you registered previously. I was pretty sure I had already registered and indeed I had. Thanks for posting the link and I hope everyone clicks on there to see if they're registered and if they're not I hope they do so now.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Urbane wrote:When you put in your PHN it lets you know exactly when you registered previously. I was pretty sure I had already registered and indeed I had. Thanks for posting the link and I hope everyone clicks on there to see if they're registered and if they're not I hope they do so now.

I'm originally from Ontario and you used to get a little sticker for your driver's license if you signed a donor card. But they weren't recorded the same, so essentially the sticker didn't mean much in their databank.

It's definitely important to register officially.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Signed it decades ago. The way some parts are wearing out I have to wonder if they would be any good but they can have anything that works. If I remember right years ago when we lived in Manitoba for a spell you just signd the back of your drivers licence.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped Up

Knowing how great the need is and how well the medical community are able to clean up donated organs now.
I believe the 6 deaths per/day in the addicted community in BC could go a long way to help those in need of donated organs.
I am sure the families of overdosed loved ones would be okay knowing something good came about of their tragic loss.
As I was told by someone, donated organ once cleaned up is better than organ currently being used by the recipient.

Added: if every Province did this I believe many people’s lives would be drastically improved.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

GordonH wrote: Aug 7th, 2023, 9:41 am Bumped Up

Knowing how great the need is and how well the medical community are able to clean up donated organs now.
I believe the 6 deaths per/day in the addicted community in BC could go a long way to help those in need of donated organs.
I am sure the families of overdosed loved ones would be okay knowing something good came about of their tragic loss.
As I was told by someone, donated organ once cleaned up is better than organ currently being used by the recipient.

Added: if every Province did this I believe many people’s lives would be drastically improved.
you have to wonder though what condition those organs are in - do you really want your brother/sister getting a kidney from someone who was addicted to crystal meth or heroin?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

I think that's an excellent idea, so how do we go about supporting it, other than here?
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

Oh, at least, I found an article on that subject.

https://www.cmaj.ca/content/190/22/E698
Last edited by Spiff on Aug 7th, 2023, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Spiff wrote: Aug 7th, 2023, 10:49 am

I think that's an excellent idea, so how do we go about supporting it, other than here?
Just encourage addicts to sign up, once on the list it’s done.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

GordonH wrote: Aug 7th, 2023, 10:53 am
Spiff wrote: Aug 7th, 2023, 10:49 am

Just encourage addicts to sign up, once on the list it’s done.
I don't know any addicts though.

Return to “Canada”