No legal weed for years

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: No legal weed for years

Post by Donald G »

Postby Atomoa » Today, 9:53 am

The new prohibitionists!

It sure did not take the "drugs at any cost" people long to lose their patience with PM Trudeau. The fact that he made an election promise without knowledge of what was involved, including the time to do it properly, seems to escape them. It will come in good time, whatever "it" means in the final analysis.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I belive it's crazy to think anything would have come up regarding a time frame in which they'd work on it in the short time they've been in power. I guessed they'd have it up and running by end of their first term.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Donald, are you under the mistaken impression that only cops know about the war on drugs or drugs in general? Your condescending attitude infers that. The government is pretty educated on this topic, far more than any of us, and they have advisers from law enforcement helping draft the law.

There are very few people complaining about the timeline actually, and most of them are right wingers who complain if Trudeau so much as farts. Most Canadians have a decent understanding that making this law will take time to do right and that there are lots of moving parts to drafting it. We're not going to copy and paste from somewhere else, we're going to do it our own way. Speculating on what that is going to be at this stage is just silly. I'm going to wait until until they release the details on what they actually want to do before deciding my opinion on it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Donald G wrote:It sure did not take the "drugs at any cost" people long to lose their patience with PM Trudeau. The fact that he made an election promise without knowledge of what was involved, including the time to do it properly, seems to escape them. It will come in good time, whatever "it" means in the final analysis.

How do you know what knowledge they did or did not have?

It appears to me that they're going in the direction of legalization in a reasonably timely manner.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

When a man says first that he is going to legalize THC marijuana and later substitutes the word decriminalize THC marijuana without any indication that he knows the vast difference between the two it can be safely assumed that knowledge is lacking.

As for the rest of your comments I like the approach that PM Trudeau is taking and hope it results in an intelligent system similar to Colorado being implemented to make THC and CBD medical and recreational marijuana more available in Canada. Two things I would change is to allow their fiscal system the same rights and access to banks as any other business and to lower taxes to make the selling price of medical and recreational marijuana competitive with the black market.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I wonder if it could be a lot of years if this information keeps coming out.

About 13 per cent of Colorado minors 12-17 in 2014 had used marijuana in the last 30 days, the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health said. That compared with about 7 per cent of minors the same ages nationwide.

Relying on data from the national drug use survey, Colorado reported that nearly a third of Coloradans 18 to 25 in 2014 had used pot in the last 30 days, a rise of about 5 per cent from the year before recreational pot was legalized.

The survey showed a similar spike in adults over 26. Past 30-day marijuana use went from 7.6 per cent in 2012 to 12.4 per cent in 2014.

– Traffic safety data related to legalization was limited, mostly because Colorado didn’t collect data on marijuana-impaired driving before 2012. The number of Colorado State Patrol summons issued for driving under the influence of marijuana dropped slightly from 674 in 2014 to 655 in 2015. Traffic fatalities in which a driver tested positive for marijuana’s psychoactive chemical, THC, increased 44 per cent in the first two years of legalization.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2647757/color ... -not-kids/

Tourists visiting Colorado aren’t just buying marijuana now that it’s legal — they’re ending up in emergency rooms at rates far higher than residents, according to a new study.

Researchers reviewed data and found ER visits involving marijuana-using out-of-towners doubled from 2013 to 2014, the first year cannabis use was legalized in Colorado.

Doctors reviewed marijuana-related emergency-room admissions. They found that the rate of emergency-room visits possibly related to marijuana doubled among out-of-state residents in the first year of recreational pot sales. The rate went from 85 per 10,000 visits in 2013 to 168 per 10,000 visits in 2014.

Advice for Canada

Monte’s advice to Canadians about the possible implementation of a legal recreational marijuana system — health education needs to precede the increased availability of the drug.

“Months before dispensaries open, there needs to be public health education efforts in order to mitigate any adverse health events,” Monte told Global News, adding when they do open the education needs to continue.

Monte also said coming up with strategies that are backed by public health and retail advocates will help reduce the adverse health impacts as well.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2538780/touri ... -colorado/

If Canada legalizes marijuana, how will cops combat high drivers?

http://globalnews.ca/news/2309648/if-ca ... h-drivers/

The reason I looked this up was that tonight Global News ran a story about the large increase in impaired driving chages related to MJ in states which have legalized it is worrisome. I couldn't find it but I did find this information and it looks to me like it is going to take some time to do a proper job od setting it up. It doesn't look near as rosey as some would like us to think.

I will keep looking for the latest information.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I wouldn't put much weight in polls prior to legalization or even shortly after. Polls in Colorado have just become more honest with less and less stigma of it's use.
As far as impaird driving goes i think police down there have more tools legally to deal with marijuana impairment since legalization with public support.
So for those who consume,be carefull what you wish for.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

What is going on in Colorado at the moment is the down side of THC Marijuana that the pro marijuana extremists have always denied existed but knowledgeable people fully expected. Those who are surprised are those who either did not know the reality or denied the reality of the down side of marijuana.

We should not forget the many promised and proven benefits of CBD/THC Marijuana and throw the baby out with the bath water though. The article reflects the MISUSE of marijuana and not use of marijuana. Partly due to ignorance caused by the pro extremists constantly giving out false information.

People who kept repeating that there was no down side to using THC marijuana are just as responsible for for the misuse of Marijuana as those using it. Damn fools.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

There's a downside to nearly everything.
The thing as far as i'm concerned is that the downside to even daily use marijuana use in itself doesn't come close to the downside of alcoholism.
If marijuana were the norm as alcohol is now and the public were considering the legalization of alcohol, i don't think i'd support it. I drink alcohol on occasion but wouldn't miss it- i don't use marijuana.
Beavis

Post by Beavis »

Donald G wrote:What is going on in Colorado at the moment is the down side of THC Marijuana that the pro marijuana extremists have always denied existed but knowledgeable people fully expected. Those who are surprised are those who either did not know the reality or denied the reality of the down side of marijuana.

We should not forget the many promised and proven benefits of CBD/THC Marijuana and throw the baby out with the bath water though. The article reflects the MISUSE of marijuana and not use of marijuana. Partly due to ignorance caused by the pro extremists constantly giving out false information.

People who kept repeating that there was no down side to using THC marijuana are just as responsible for for the misuse of Marijuana as those using it. Damn fools.

I must say, my head is spinning after reading this. I re-read it several times to try to understand what you're getting at.

Could you please elaborate? Specifically, by giving more info on "what is going on in Colorado" and how it pertains to the "down side of THC Marijuana." Maybe I'm just an optimist, but the overwhelming majority of what I've been exposed to about the legalization of cannabis in Colorado has been positive.

Thank you, I appreciate it.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Donald G wrote:

Postby Beavis » Jun 6th, 2016, 7:46 am

I must say, my head is spinning after reading this. I re-read it several times to try to understand what you're getting at.

Could you please elaborate? Specifically, by giving more info on "what is going on in Colorado" and how it pertains to the "down side of THC Marijuana." Maybe I'm just an optimist, but the overwhelming majority of what I've been exposed to about the legalization of cannabis in Colorado has been positive.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

The seven "down sides" to marijuana that the Colorado system makes effort to protect against to the degree possible in a open society are IMO as follows;

1. THC Impaired driving;
2. THC Damage to the brain cells and nervous system of a foetus;
3. THC Damage to a child's brain cells during their formative years;
4. THC Damage to the neurons, especially the insulating sheath during a child's formative years;
5. Increased chance of onset of psychoses in children who ingest THC during their formative years;
6. Early onset of psychoses in adults who ingest THC heavily after formative years;
7. THC marijuana serves as one more resource for criminals, criminal groups and criminal drug gangs to use in building financial resources. Often to purchase harder, more habituating drugs outside of Canada for sale in Canada.

And those resulting from violent crimes;

1. Grow rips ... including serious injury and death.
2. Those crimes and the human destruction associated to heavier drugs once returned to Canada;
3. The victims of prolonged drug use and the DES lifestyle financed, in part, by THC marijuana
Last edited by Donald G on Jun 9th, 2016, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Donald G wrote:The seven "down sides" to marijuana that the Colorado system makes effort to protect against to the degree possible in a open society are IMO as follows;

1. THC Impaired driving;
2. THC Damage to the brain cells and nervous system of a foetus;
3. THC Damage to a child's brain cells during their formative years;
4. THC Damage to the neurons, especially the insulating sheath during a child's formative years;
5. Increased chance of onset of psychoses in children who ingest THC during their formative years;
6. Early onset of psychoses in adults who ingest THC heavily after formative years;
7. THC marijuana serves as one more resource for criminals, criminal groups and criminal drug gangs to use in building financial resources. Often to purchase harder, more habituating drugs outside of Canada for sale in Canada.

And those resulting from violent crimes;

1. Grow rips ... including serious injury and death.
2. Those crimes and the human destruction associated to heavier drugs once returned to Canada;
3. The victims of prolonged drug use and the DES lifestyle financed, in part, by THC marijuana

3,4,6 are the same issue
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

As a comparison, the completely out of control California Marijuana System can be viewed at;

https://oag.ca.gov/transnational-organized-crime/ch2
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

THC impaired driving is happening now regardless, if not for the increase of legal marijuana the urgent race to detect impairment wouldn't be here. With legalization will come with a crap load of laws to help protect us all especially the young , a thing the black market don't give a damn about.
Closing your eyes don't make things go away.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The original Colorado Marijuana System has been removed from the internet for some unknown reason. The following thread will lead you to the black market problems that surfaced in Colorado and what the state is attempting to do about it. Note that lowering taxes and the size of THC home grows would go a long way toward reducing the black market problem;

http://www.ibtimes.com/pulse/colorado-m ... es-1913431

Return to “Canada”