Trudeau tweets sympathy for Postmedia layoffs

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Trudeau tweets sympathy for Postmedia layoffs

Post by Rwede »

JANUARY 21, 2016

Trudeau tweets sympathy for Postmedia layoffs -- but not the 100K Albertans out of work?

Prime Minister Trudeau sent out a tweet of sympathy yesterday about the layoffs that took place at Postmedia newspapers across the country.

He tweeted "Journalists are vital to our democracy. I'm saddened to hear of the cuts at Postmedia today and my thoughts are with those affected."

That’s kind of him. 90 people were laid off. Every one of those people has a family and bills and dreams for the future. I absolutely hate hearing about layoffs. The problem is I hear about them in one form or another just about every day. I cover them as part of my work. I document the massive staff cuts in the energy sector and it’s hard for me because those people aren't just a number at Cenovus, Husky or Weatherford. They're my friends and neighbours.

But here's what stuck out for me: Trudeau has never expressed any sympathy for the 100k Albertans who are out of work because of low oil prices, lack of market access for our resources and tax hikes on job creators.

There were no sympathetic tweets from Trudeau the day Shell cancelled it's Carmon Creek project, killing 1450 Alberta jobs. And there were no thoughts for the 1400 people laid off from Husky after it posted a $4.1 billion loss.

It's not just Alberta job losses that are flying under the Liberal Party of Canada's radar.

Let's look at Sussex, NB. Yesterday, the same day as the Postmedia layoffs, Potash Corp announced it would be closing its Piccadilly mine there. This will mean 430 people are going to be unemployed in a town of 4300. That’s one in 10.

But yesterday, Trudeau tweeted about the media party job losses. He says these people are essential for democracy and, I'll admit they are. But maybe Trudeau could spare a little sympathy for the thousands of blue collar Canadians, miners, rig hands, truckers and welders who are losing their jobs every day because our country's economy is in full on meltdown. These people may not be vital to democracy in the way a Laurentian elite like Trudeau thinks. But they sure pay the bills for it.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Trudeau tweets sympathy for Postmedia layoffs

Post by The Green Barbarian »

my thoughts are with those affected."

Thoughts plural? Is he capable of that?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

This week in the news.. Trudeau breathes, country in uproar over the fact he is breathing tax payers air!

Come on, the guy can't send out a tweet over every little thing.
hail Satan y'all
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

whatwhat wrote:This week in the news.. Trudeau breathes, country in uproar over the fact he is breathing tax payers air!

But you would think that the least he could do was take a Selfie with Kevin Spacey in front of all of the potash miners walking out of the mine with their pink slips. Then they could all be part of the JT "experience".
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

whatwhat wrote:This week in the news.. Trudeau breathes, country in uproar over the fact he is breathing tax payers air!

Is 100,000 people out of work a little thing?

Is it smaller than 90 journalists who campaigned for him? Wait, I think I know the answer to that...
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I have no problem when he breaths, it's when he exhales some foolish noise that is sad. I thought we were getting a PM not a Reality TV star.

He is to represent Canadians, so far he just seems to be trying to facebook friend the world and then when people accept his "friend request" that means we all get along.

It's early but would like to see a little more substance from him and a little less "look I'm a cool dude guys"
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Veovis wrote:
I have no problem when he breaths, it's when he exhales some foolish noise that is sad. I thought we were getting a PM not a Reality TV star.

He is to represent Canadians, so far he just seems to be trying to facebook friend the world and then when people accept his "friend request" that means we all get along.

It's early but would like to see a little more substance from him and a little less "look I'm a cool dude guys"

I still remember when the Economist ran a story a few years back about how Canada wasn't cool anymore, because we weren't legalizing drugs and wasting billions destroying our economy over the man-made climate change myth. The Economist seemed to indicate that being "cool" went lock-step with buying into every stupid World Elitist viewpoint, and paying the massive freight required to do so. Now we have a "cool" prime minister who is kissing the *bleep* of every single world entity and promising to blow the billions of our tax dollars required to be considered part of the "in" crowd. I am soooo happy. We all knew this day was coming.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

I think it is possible that some of our friends on the right don't have a clear understanding of the mechanics of Twitter, and perhaps are also still hurting from the last election that savagely jilted their hero.

Twitter is a social media tool that is generally used to comment--briefly, within 140 characters--on current news events. That is, something that has happened RIGHT NOW. School shootings, storms, sudden and surprise job losses.

It is not a tool that is generally used for commenting on something like the two year decline of oil prices that has resulted in the gradual loss of jobs in the oil patch. Most of which occurred under one's predecessor. This is generally not something for which Twitter is suited.

It's OK. My grandma has early stage alzheimer's and doesn't really understand social media either.

I would suggest that our right wing friends visit Twitter and study some of the tweets. Knowledge and common sense are both good things!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

The layoffs in the oil industry were during Harper's tenure. Where was he to express sympathy? Where was he to express sympathy when so many of my friends lost their job due to Shaw layoffs?

PM expresses condolences or sympathies for people losing their jobs, and somehow this is a bad thing?

He did also criticize the conservative policies which led to the layoffs during the election, and he has continued to express the importance of the energy industry in Canada.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Rwede wrote:Is it smaller than 90 journalists who campaigned for him? Wait, I think I know the answer to that...

Sorry to break your narrative but PostMedia Newspapers actively campaigned for Stephen Harper. Andrew Coyne resigned his editorial post because the paper told every editor to back the Conservatives.

The private media is ever shrinking to a few rags that represent a few rich guys wish lists. Journalists are essential to our democracy and Justin Trudeau knows it.

Oilworkers are helpful to our economy but they don't make our free country function.

The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

I don't think Trudeau even knows that Alberta or Potash even exist. He knows his media friends, however, as their ties to the Laurentian Elite are well documented. So, colour me not surprised by Trudeau's lack of knowledge and lack of giving a *bleep* about oil workers or potash miners. All he panders to is his buddies in the media who are like a pack of groupie girls at a Justin Trud...errrrrr...Bieber concert.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Partmanpartfish wrote:It's OK. My grandma has early stage alzheimer's and doesn't really understand social media either.

Wow. You really make fun of your own grandmother's struggle with a debilitating disease? That's pretty low brow stuff, dude.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Partmanpartfish wrote:
It's OK. My grandma has early stage alzheimer's and doesn't really understand social media either.
!

Is your grandma Elizabeth May? Seriously though, using her in your example is pretty low. Amazing actually.
Last edited by The Green Barbarian on Jan 23rd, 2016, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Atomoa wrote:Image

Wow - one of the few times the mainstream media didn't lie to us.

Return to “Canada”