Ambrose: Albertans have a right to be angry

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Ambrose: Albertans have a right to be angry

Post by Rwede »

Rona Ambrose: Albertans have a right to be angry, since no one is standing up for them

RICK BELL

FIRST POSTED: TUESDAY, JANUARY 26, 2016 09:23 PM MST | UPDATED: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 27, 2016 08:36 AM MST

Rona Ambrose
Then-federal Health Minister Rona Ambrose speaks as Calgary Police Deputy Chief Trevor Deroux (L) listens during a press conference in Calgary, Alta to launch public service announcements to battle prescription drug abuse on Thursday, May 28, 2015. Jim Wells/Calgary Sun/Postmedia Network

Notley NDP cabinet ministers talk of the regrettable “chest-beating rhetoric” and “fear mongering” over pipelines.

It is not helpful, they say.

It is old-school stuff.

Sounds like they want hot-under-the-collar individuals to turn down the heat.

Then there’s interim Conservative leader Rona Ambrose out in Ottawa. She’s from Alberta. She’s not playing nicey-nicey with what’s on her mind.

“No one should, in a condescending way, tell Albertans they can’t be upset if they are. I was upset. I didn’t fabricate that. It was a visceral reaction to things Mr. Trudeau said and to what Mr. Coderre said,” says Ambrose.

“People have an absolute right to be upset when they are belittled, when they feel abandoned, when they’re insulted, especially when they’ve always been incredibly generous.”

Let’s never forget that equalization coin and how much has come from Alberta and from the oilpatch.

“They’ve lost their job, they know this industry is important for the future of the province. It’s important for the future of their own kids.”

“It’s very hard for Albertans to sit there and say: Oh, that’s OK. That’s OK someone just called us the Flintstones.”

Of course, she is referring to loudmouth Montreal mayor Denis Coderre saying people like Wildrose leader Brian Jean are probably the same people who think the Flintstones is a documentary.

Ambrose says Albertans she knows are “furious, of course” and the PM isn’t providing proof he’s backing the desire to get pipelines going.

“People want to know their prime minister is on their side, especially when they’ve just lost their job,” she says.

“The problem is there is no evidence. The prime minister won’t even say the word pipeline. He won’t even say the word.

“We don’t know. We don’t know because the prime minister was elected with a lot of support from anti-fossil fuel groups.”

This is the same day news breaks more jobs were lost in Alberta last year than any year since the bad old days of 1982.

The interim Tory leader points to some extreme environmental groups and how their cause gains traction.

“They have multimillions of dollars in funding from all kinds of people who never want to see pipelines built in this country,” she says.

“These are highly organized groups that are going to do everything they can to stop fossil fuels.”

“They’re loud. They’re loud and they’re aggressive and they’re very political. Now who is going to push back for things that matter to our economy, like the energy sector, if not Albertans, the very people who understand the industry?”

“Of course, I’m Albertan. I’m going to speak up.”

As for those advocating the quiet approach, Ambrose apologizes for being sarcastic.

“It’s not about the notion we all love pipelines but if we’re just really quiet ...” she whispers.

“It’s ridiculous.”

But this is not the Notley NDP game plan.

“I think they don’t have the guts to stand up for Albertans on this issue. I think they’re running away from the issue because they’re part of the problem. This is when you see who is on the side of Albertans and who isn’t.”

Now that hurts.

There’s even a word floating around for those who find every reason in the world to block pipelines.

They’re the BANANA people.

BANANA. Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything.

“Albertans understand pipelines benefit the whole economy. Albertans are speaking truth to power. What they’re frustrated with are the rest of the groups and their own self-interest and politicians saying there’s not enough in it for them.”

Ambrose says any movement forward on the Energy East pipeline isn’t coming from speaking softly and carrying no stick.

“I think we’re further ahead because of the massive political pressure people like Premier Brad Wall and myself and people in Alberta are putting on politicians.”

“We should keep it up.”
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Ambrose: Albertans have a right to be angry

Post by The Green Barbarian »

BANANA people. I like it.

I wish I was more shocked that Coderre insulted Alberta by calling them Flintstones but I'm not. What an arrogant jerk. Quebec would be dead-meat without all of the cash they pull out of Alberta every year. Their entire welfare system would shut down, and GASP, those kids banging pots demanding free tuition would suddenly pay what everyone else in Canada pays for tuition. People on welfare would have to actually look after their kids during the day instead of dumping them off at subsidized day cares, all paid with Alberta oil money. Enough is enough.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Politicians. I don't care what flag you're waving, they're all the same.

Did you know the word "politics" is derived from the latin "poly", meaning "many", and "tic", a bloodsucking parasite?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Exactly. This is nothing more than a convenient opportunity for a federal conservative to take a swipe at both newly elected non-con governments in one swipe. Let's not forget that conservative rule federally and in Alberta is not so far in the past that the current situation doesn't sit squarely in conservative laps. The right is having a lot of fun these days, dividing their time between complaining that the new governments are doing everything wrong and doing nothing at all. It's the same old political two step. As much as Ms. Notely is reaping more than her share of criticism, she is actually doing something.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

fluffy wrote:Exactly. This is nothing more than a convenient opportunity for a federal conservative to take a swipe at both newly elected non-con governments in one swipe. .

I disagree. These Quebec mayors insulting Alberta is just not acceptable, and I don't see what the past government has to do with it. What should Ambrose do? Trudeau isn't standing up for Alberta. Someone has to.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Ambrose says any movement forward on the Energy East pipeline isn’t coming from speaking softly and carrying no stick.

Good example as to why they got the boot,as they should have.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

maple leaf wrote:
Good example as to why they got the boot,as they should have.

why is that a good example?
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Partmanpartfish wrote:So, let's count, shall we?

Crazy Ambrose and Little Stevie were in power for ten years.

How many pipelines did they get built?

You don't even need any fingers or toes to come up with the answer.

LMAO,,,,,,, government doesn't build pipelines, the oil companies do.

Harper gov. approved several projects with the go ahead.

Question is : How many of those will Trudeau stop since his election campaign was run against pipelines.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*stay on topic please!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

The Green Barbarian wrote:

why is that a good example?

If someone would show up to my house yelling my way or the highway caring a big stick,they would soon enough find out were that stick is going to end up.Sending in the Conservative goons with sticks,gutting environmental protections ,running flawed sham rubber stamped NEB hearings hasn't worked for the last 10 years of Con rule .Time for them to wake and realize that all they did is tick everyone off and got everyones back up,ready to fight.It is going to take a long time to turn around the Harper reign of my way or the highway.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

fluffy wrote:Exactly. This is nothing more than a convenient opportunity for a federal conservative to take a swipe at both newly elected non-con governments in one swipe.

The Green Barbarian wrote:I disagree. These Quebec mayors insulting Alberta is just not acceptable, and I don't see what the past government has to do with it. What should Ambrose do? Trudeau isn't standing up for Alberta. Someone has to.

So she takes it upon herself (as if this didn't come from some back room conservative strategy meeting) to call out Rachel Notely as "Not doing anything" to promote the energy east pipeline? Hardly. Just because she is choosing to do so through diplomatic channels makes her a wimp? I think we can expect a lot of similar noise from both Alberta provincial and federal conservatives, just be careful not to be taken in by the idea that this noise will be "for the people". The conservatives are in survival mode, and anything goes when their future is on the line.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Partmanpartfish wrote:So, let's count, shall we?

Crazy Ambrose and Little Stevie were in power for ten years.

How many pipelines did they get built?

You don't even need any fingers or toes to come up with the answer.

driveangry wrote:LMAO,,,,,,, government doesn't build pipelines, the oil companies do.

In the case of the Harper/Ambrose government, it is literally and figuratively true that government doesn't build pipelines. I certainly agree with you there.

driveangry wrote:Harper gov. approved several projects with the go ahead.

I certainly agree with you that several projects received approval during the failed Harper/Ambrose tenure. But those were pipelines to nowhere, not pipelines to tidewater.

driveangry wrote:Question is : How many of those will Trudeau stop since his election campaign was run against pipelines.

My guess is Trudeau will use diplomacy rather than the cheerleading of the failed Harper/Ambrose regime to bring the parties together and get these needed pipelines built. Frankly, it will be impossible for him to get fewer pipelines built than the failed Harper/Ambrose gang.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

maple leaf wrote:.Sending in the Conservative goons with sticks,gutting environmental protections ,running flawed sham rubber stamped NEB hearings hasn't worked for the last 10 years of Con rule .

so you are saying that Albertans don't have a right to be offended, when they are called Flintstones by a mayor in Quebec. Even if half of how you are portraying the past is correct, and it isn't, that doesn't excuse the behavior of the Coderre. Quebec has been milking Alberta for billions of dollars and owes them some respect.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Partmanpartfish wrote:
My guess is Trudeau will use diplomacy rather than the cheerleading of the failed Harper/Ambrose regime

LOL - failed Harper/Ambrose - nice. Anyway, if what we've seen so far from Trudeau is "diplomacy" I'd say he's failed big time. He needs to realize that he represents all of Canada, not just his beloved Quebec.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I disagree with the title, and I agree.

The Harperites, and Rona is one, have done a great disservice to Alberta and to Canada by sticking to their arrogant and combative "my way or the highway". The PCs in Alberta took the same tack, and the folks in Alberta turfed them. If I was an Albertan, I would be very angry at the short sighted, and failed approach, of both political groups.

Time for the Harperites and PC Alberta to wise up. As my gramma taught me "you catch a lot more flies with honey than with vinegar". Their vinegar approach has failed, and miserably.

They are still in the mode "all for Alberta, none for anybody else, get outa my way". When you approach people that way, you most often are going to get told, well, to put it politely, "go fish".

There is a way to proceed, but you can not get there with the ranting style of trampling over everyone.

1. Recognize that the biggest concern is NOT pipelines. It is TANKERS. Arguing that pipelines are safer means absolutely nothing to BC or Quebec residents that don't want their waterways messed up by tankers.
2. Take the realistic approach that the above means that export driven tidewater pipelines just ain't gonna happen. That leads to the one approach that you CAN sell (if the damage done by Harperites and Alberta PCs has not been too great).
3. Tell the oil/bitumen players that there is only one market that offers expansion potential, and that is the eastern Canadian domestic market. Their proposals must be tailored to displace imported oil. Their proposals must be for the safest possible pipeline system.
4. IF the industry does NOT want to proceed in that direction, tough luck.
5. IF 4 above, consider the options for a joint Alberta/Sask/Federal owned crown corporation to bring upgraded product to eastern Canada. Be prepared to go ahead, but msot likely you won't need to, for in calling the industry's bluff, most likely there will be a revised proposal from the industry that meets the objectives.

In the process, you can state to Ontario and Quebec residents that the objective is to eliminate as much tanker traffic as possible, to significantly lower the environmental risks to their waterways. And that will sell, because it is true. Tell them that part of the objective is to preserve and expand the good jobs in eastern refineries, and that will sell, because it is true. Tell them that government revenues will rise, easing their tax burdens, because of this goal, and that will sell because it is true.

In the process, tell Alberta and Saskatchewan residents that this will not only help with their tax burdens, but will create a lot more jobs in stable upgrading facilities.

In other words, a win-win for Alberta residents, Saskatchewan residents, Ontario residents, Quebec residents, and likely even New Brunswick residents.

And a win for Canada as a whole, but less easy to sell, would be big positive impact on our balance trade deficit and our current account deficit.

So yes, if I was an Albertan I would be angry, but not at Ontario and Quebec residents, not at environmental groups, not at First Nations etc., I would be angry at the stupidity of the political "leaders" and industry "leaders" who have failed to accept the realities of the situation, and failed to do what is beat for all Canadians. And rightly so, because there are Albertans who have been advocating for such an approach.

And IF we went that route, we would not be dealing with crooks like this:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35409424
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”