Suzuki - Pipelines are Passe

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Suzuki - Pipelines are Passe

Post by The Green Barbarian »

d0nb wrote:
Exactly. Some members of the the Aussie audience were quite taken aback by the great Suzuki's ignorance. Apparently the CBC didn't inform the Australian Public Broadcaster that Suzuki needs to be protected from questions from those who might actually know something about the subject.

This was discussed a some length on Australian radio at the time. It went something like: "This is the guy Canadians are listening to? Incredible."

During David Suzuki’s Q&A on Australian ABC-TV, and WUWT regular Bill Koutalianos puts the fruit fly guy on the spot. Video of the interview follows. Andrew Bolt writes:

David Suzuki proves he’s pig ignorant about global warming

The very first question put to David Suzuki on Q&A last night revealed this warming alarmist’s complete ignorance of the most basic facts of global warming.

Fancy Suzuki not even knowing what the world’s main temperature data sets say about global temperatures. Fancy him not even knowing what those data sets are, even when he is given their names.

The only rational response to Suzuki’s astonishing admission of utter ignorance would have been to say to him: “Sir, you are a phony and imposter. Get off the stage and don’t waste our time for a second longer.”

Read the exchange for yourself:

BILL KOUTALIANOS: Oh, hi. Since 1998 global temperatures have been relatively flat, yet many man-made global warming advocates refuse to acknowledge this simple fact. Has man-made global warming become a new religion in itself?

TONY JONES: David, go ahead.

DAVID SUZUKI: Yeah, well, I don’t know why you’re saying that. The ten hottest years on record, as I understand it, have been in this century. In fact, the warming continues. It may have slowed down but the warming continues and everybody is anticipating some kind of revelation in the next IPCC reports that are saying we got it wrong. As far as I understand, we haven’t. So where are you getting your information? I’m not a climatologist. I wait for the climatologists to tell us what they’re thinking.

TONY JONES: Do you want to respond to that, Bill?

BILL KOUTALIANOS: Sure, yeah. UAH, RSS, HadCRUT, GISS data shows a 17-year flat trend which suggests there may be something wrong with the Co2 warming theory?

DAVID SUZUKI: Sorry, yeah, what is the reference? I don’t…

BILL KOUTALIANOS: Well, they’re the main data sets that IPCC use: UAH, University of Alabama, Huntsville; GISS, Goddard Institute of Science; HadCRUT. I don’t know what that stands for, HadCRUT; and RSS, Remote Sensing something. So those data sets suggest a 17-year flat trend, which suggests there may be a problem with the Co2.

DAVID SUZUKI: No, well, there may be a climate sceptic down in Huntsville, Alabama, who has taken the data and come to that conclusion. I say, let’s wait for the IPCC report to come out and see what the vast bulk of scientists who have been involved in gathering this information will tell us.

See those data sets here.

Like I say, a complete know-nothing, citing false claims:

STEWART FRANKS: In an opinion piece last week you wrote that the Great Barrier Reef was threatened by the increasing frequency of cyclones. Everyone watching and listening can onto the Bureau of Meteorology’s website and see that there is no increase. In fact there has been a decline over the last 40 years and no increase in the severity. Are you not, by exaggerating…

DAVID SUZUKI: That I have to admit…

STEWART FRANKS: …or even just getting wrong, are you not actually vulnerable of actually undermining your very own aim in that, you know, the Great Barrier Reef does have environmental threat, but cyclones ain’t one of them?

DAVID SUZUKI: All right. That was one, I have to admit, that that was suggested to me by an Australian, and it is true, I mean, it may be a mistake. I don’t know.

Nor does David Suzuki know what the hell he’s on about when he’s fear-mongering about genetically modified crops:

DAVID SUZUKI: Well, I mean, that is always the argument that’s made. GMOs are very, very expensive. Now, the people that need this food are not going to be able to afford it. Are we going to just create these new crops and then give them away? I simply don’t believe that’s what’s going to happen. I don’t think it is a generosity for the rest of humanity that is driving this activity.

RICK ROUSH: Actually, we are. I mean, Bt corn technology has been given away to the Kenyan State Government research people for use for subsistence farmers. Monsanto gave away insect resistant potatoes in Mexico over 20 years ago. James is working on lots of similar cases. In cases where there is no economic return, it is, in fact, being given away and they’re not so difficult to develop. When I was at Cornell, we got a gene that was a gift from Monsanto for experimental purposes. We made broccoli plants that were resistant to attacks of Dimebag Moths. A student – one of our students made about 50 transformants in about six months. The great cost of these things are no longer the actual creation of the plant. It’s the regulatory challenges to take sure that you can take them to market, to do all that safety testing.

TONY JONES: Okay, Rick, well we’ll get a response to that and we’ll move on?

DAVID SUZUKI: Well, I don’t have any response. It sounds great. I don’t know.

How in God’s name could people take this man seriously?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by hobbyguy » Today, 12:28 pm

Unfortunately, the countries that have the bulk of this product also have very much lower costs than Canada, and do not have carbon taxes, do not have environmental regulations that are enforced.

Venezuela has more tar sands than Canada. Venezuela is desperate for foreign currency. Columbia also has tar sands type product, and recently started exporting... and so on.

The information that ANY COUNTRY has more RECOVERABLE "tar sands" than Canada is completely false.

The information that ANY OTHER COUNTRY has lower tar sands production costs than Canada is completely false.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves_in_Venezuela

Ummm... Venezuela is listed as having 69% more "proven reserves" than Canada. Yes, the Orinoco belt is too deep for surface mining, but so is a good chunk of of Canada's tar sands - thus SAGD production. And importantly "Venezuela's Orinoco tar sands are less viscous than Canada's Athabasca oil sands – meaning they can be produced by more conventional means".

The minimum wage in Venezuela is approximately $20/month. Yup, per month - not per hour.

What holds back Venezuela in terms of production is the political situation. That has started to change since the death of Chavez - but I would not "hold my breath".

The marginal cost of production for Venezuela is listed as $20/bbl. However, with the collapse of their currency, that number has dropped to $7-8/bbl by some estimates.

It is also of note that Venezuela has taken substantial loans from China, and the terms are that they repay the loans with crude (not currency), which locks up a share of the Chinese market.

By comparison: http://business.financialpost.com/news/energy/at-22-three-quarters-of-oilsands-producers-are-underwater-and-losing-3-on-every-barrel?__lsa=a2c4-df0c

"Alberta’s oilsands hold the world’s third-largest crude reserves but also have some of the highest breakeven costs globally because of energy-intensive production methods."

Recently, WCS has been selling for around $9/bbl. I gather that for most producers in the Alberta tar sands, break even is around $25.

So while one would like to paint a better picture, it is very, very, "tough sledding" for the Alberta tar sands product in the export markets. The implication of the $9/bbl price when there is more than ample overall supply is not good either. That is roughly 1/3 of the WTI and Brent prices. IF that differential hols (????) then $75/bbl is needed for break even for the bulk of the Alberta tar sands producers (older surface miners likely lower than that). IF that 1/3 becomes the norm, then shale oil becomes an even greater factor, because shale oil will reach break even point much, much faster than tar sands.

The export markets just don't look very good for Alberta producers.

Plus, IF we are going to export responsibly, a massive investment is going to be needed in tanker safety measures and spill clean up capability, and those will have substantial operating costs - which should be added to those already high/bbl costs (I do not think there is any appetite for the public purse to cover those costs and thus provide a huge subsidy).

That again leads to only one solution - replacing the imports, and using the product domestically. Thus my statement that export pipelines are obsolete from a Canadian perspective.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote:
Ummm... Venezuela is listed as having 69% more "proven reserves" than Canada.

If this is true, why aren't the Greenpeace idiots repelling off of towers and office buildings in Caracas protesting this issue? Why aren't brain-washed morons walking up and interrupting press conferences when the Venezuelan president is just trying to talk to the media? Why aren't all of the loony AGW doomsaying People trying to block Venezuelan pipelines from being built?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Probably because the Venezuelans would "disappear" them.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

hobbyguy wrote:Probably because the Venezuelans would "disappear" them.

Exactly.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

More lunacy from the nutbag Suzuki. He's still babbling about how everybody who disagrees with his deranged Church of Global Warming garbage should be put in jail. What a complete dumb-ass. Yet so indicative of the whole lunatic fringe that dominate the entire man-made climate change myth. What they really want is total control of all society, and any resistance be crushed and not tolerated. Shame on Suzuki. And shame on Canada for still tolerating his lunacy.

David Suzuki Says Harper Should Be Jailed Over His Climate Positions

David Suzuki thinks inaction on climate change is serious enough to land you in jail — and he'd like to see former prime minister Stephen Harper behind bars.

The prominent environmentalist said as much in an interview with Rolling Stone Australia that is featured in its February issue.

"I really believe that people like the former prime minister of Canada should be thrown in jail for wilful blindness," he told reporter Andrew Street.

The response came in a Q&A that the magazine conducted with Suzuki ahead of his visit to Australia's WOMADelaide festival.

But the Rolling Stone interview didn't mark the first time that the activist has suggested jail time for political leaders who don't act on climate change.

In a 2008 speech at McGill University, Suzuki called on students to look for legal avenues through which to put politicians in prison if they ignore climate science, The McGill Daily reported.

Referring to Harper and then-Alberta premier Ed Stelmach, he said, "It is an intergenerational crime that in the face of the work of scientists over the last 20 years, they keep dithering as they are."
Suzuki was comparatively complimentary of Justin Trudeau and the Liberals in the Rolling Stone interview, calling it a "huge thing" that the party was elected to a majority government.

"We've had 10 years of a government that was so oppressive regarding environmental issues," he said.

"I was going to book a one-way ticket to Mars if Harper was re-elected."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/02/02 ... 43278.html

Please book that ticket Dr. Suzuki. Book it now.

Return to “Canada”