Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Ghomeshi facing his 'comeuppance'?

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Heeers Marie!

CBC News

Exclusive
Marie Henein, Jian Ghomeshi's lawyer, denies she has betrayed women

Attorney makes 1st public comments in exclusive interview with CBC's Peter Mansbridge

CBC News Posted: Mar 29, 2016 5:47 PM ET| Last Updated: Mar 29, 2016 11:29 PM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/jian-ghomeshi-ma ... -1.3510762

Marie Henein, the lawyer who successfully represented former CBC Radio host Jian Ghomeshi, is rejecting any accusations that she has betrayed women by taking on the high­profile sexual assault case, insisting that justice was served in the trial.

. . .
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

^^^Oh yeah, that's so typical of some of these wingnuts.

A smart, competent, professional woman is betraying women for doing her so job well.

How pathetic.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Is there "a special place in hell for women who don’t help women"? (2:33 in the above CBC video)
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Article with imbedded videos.

ET Canada

Lawyer Marie Henein Denies Betraying Women In Ghomeshi Case: 'Justice Was Served'

By BRENT FURDYK

3/30/2016 at 9:43 AM ET

http://www.etcanada.com/blogs/etc_18780 ... -served/tv

(First three minute video in the article)

Jill Presser—criminal defence lawyer says, “A woman should be able to be both brilliant, effective, and hot (00:01). ('Both'!?-- maybe you get to pick two out of the three?)

. . .

“We would never accuse a man lawyer, cross examining a man of being a gender trader. Why should a woman be considered a gender trader if she’s cross examining a woman (00:47).”

. . .

The second video is the twenty minute CBC interview.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Ghomeshi's lawyer put Mulcair in his place.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jian-gh ... -1.3512070
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Woman lawyer to be on Canada ET tonight. Sorry no link, just turn on the telly:) (That's that rectangular looking thing in your livingroom and/or bedroom). lol
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
pepsilover
Übergod

Post by pepsilover »

Thanks for posting that. I just watched the entire interview. I am beyond impressed with this lawyer. She really knows her stuff and I'm so glad she laid out the foundations of the legal system as they applied to this case. In particular, the 'burden of proof' and how that works. Many people don't understand this is a basic foundation of the legal system. They will give it lip service and say they understand it, but will then ask the question why should the 'victims' in the case be cross-examined (ie their sex lives etc.) as Mansbridge did - more than once - tried to question if this should be the case in legal cases such as sexual assault. Since it's one of the basic foundations of the legal system of course all the same rules apply, and the 'victims' are not really 'victims' until the verdict is read.

I would hire her. I hate to see people beating up on her in the media. I recognize all the traits she exhibited (that some may feel come across as somewhat "cold"), and specifically impartiality and respect for the legal system, because I am watching a very close family member go through all these same things. She is right on every count, and there isn't one thing she said that is "incorrect" about our justice system.

Now time for some reality show escapism, my guilty pleasures:)
To PC liberals who are offended at the Christ child in a manger, I have GREAT news for you! The next time you see Him, he won't be in a manger! Sadly, if you can't handle His first appearance, you're REALLY not going to like His second appearance.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Just watched this interview. Wow, very professional.

Her point that, "If justice is you getting what you wanted or think he should have deserved then yes the system failed you".

There seems to be more people stating this about the verdict, than anything else being said.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Whether one agrees with the verdict or not I wish more Canadians realized that what went on in this court case is what goes on in many court cases across Canada every day. There is seldom "a moment of truth" in any of them. All end up as various shades of grey as compared to black and white.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Rex Murphy | Marie Henein Interview

The National

March 31, 2016

03:38

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2686164661

Point of View: "Did defence counsel Marie Henein 'owe' women anything in the Ghomeshi case? No. Not a thing." says Rex.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Rex Murphy | Marie Henein Interview

The National

March 31, 2016

03:38

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2686164661

Point of View: "Did defence counsel Marie Henein 'owe' women anything in the Ghomeshi case? No. Not a thing." says Rex.

I agree with Rex in this editorial and with everything Henien said in her interview with Mansbridge. The outrage some people have levelled at her is simply ignorance, expressed by people who've lost the ability to distinguish between reality and "reality" TV.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

The real question is,,,,,,,,,, Would she go on a date with him ??
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I love CBC interviews, so professional, Peter Mansbridge really tried hard to keep things very calm and professional. I'm glad she agreed to the interview. There is a reason why she's been doing this for 25 years and is considered top in her field... It's cuz she is.

I never thought she was against women or did anything wrong in the trial. She was doing her job, and did it very well.
The witnesses weren't credible enough to get a guilty verdict here. I've said it before, I don't believe Ghomeshi is necessarily innocent. But there was no way, with the evidence and testimony presented to get a "beyond reasonable doubt" verdict. I'd never want anyone to be be convicted based on that flimsy testimony.
Maybe things will be different in the trial in june. CBC felt they had enough evidence to fire him over it. We'll see if it's enough to convict him.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Chatelaine

Linda Christina Redgrave: Witness 1 in Ghomeshi trial reveals identity

Sarah Boesveld

2 hrs ago

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/ghomeshi/ ... spartandhp

She is the woman who said Jian Ghomeshi yanked her hair as she sat in the passenger seat of his leased yellow Beetle. She is the woman who says he did the same thing on another occasion at his home, then hit her in the side of the head. She is the woman who emailed him a photo of herself in a red string bikini in pursuit of an explanation. . . .

Return to “Canada”